New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Confessions of a Recovering Gear-aholic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Hi everybody, I?m Mike and I like to buy stuff . . . lots of stuff.

I have all the latest and greatest cameras, computers, iPads, iPods, iPhones, routers, receivers, amps, speakers, TVs, and every other conceivable gadget and gizmo. If it?s new and techie, I either already have it, or am planning on buying it.

[COLOR=#000000]DISCLAIMER: The above statement is not totally true. I don?t really have all of that stuff, but only because of limited funds, and a wif... ... Return to article to continue reading.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Great blog Mike. I couldn't stop reading and laughing at the same time. It was almost like looking into a mirror!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

You guys are an Apple Shareholder's dream come true. Keep up the good work!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

brilliant! I'm there too...engineer thing for sure. My latest one was a car!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

While I'm not as, uh, diligent (yeah, that's the word ) about creating a spreadsheet to track the pros and cons of my purchase, but I do do a lot of research and read reviews from all sorts of places to ensure that I'm getting the right and valid information..

Thought research, I've found that I find newer/better things than what I had initially though to purchase and also learn a bit about a few things..so a win-win in my books..

The amount of research I do is obviously affected by the price of the thing..

Unlike Mike though, once I reach the end of my research, I make the go or no-go call and then it's fire and forget (as far as my credit card is concerned)..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I am guilty just love tech which there is no cure only remission do to budget constraints.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?
Perhaps when it comes to tech gear, but in your more open statement, I'd say both sexes can succumb to it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Quote:

Probably but do not bring sewing machines into this argument!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
I would say it infects both parties just different tech between the two.
QUOTE Thanks
GrannySueSnaps

GrannySueSnaps is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina

"at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?"

My husband would totally disagree with you on that. He can barely open his messages and I don't think he has ever sent one. I however, have enough gadgets to open my own store. I have at least 6 different earpieces, an iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro, Kindle, Windows laptop, Windows PC, a couple dozen backup batteries, mifi and I could go on and on. I was even one of the lucky ones who got the Typo for iPhone before RIM's lawsuit against Ryan Seacrest was filed.

GrannySueSnaps
Sue Stinnett
http://grannysuesnaps.photos
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the recent post, otherwise I would probably have missed the delightful blog article.

Who me so afflicted...??? Noooo, not quite...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

For those who don't know, all the articles can be found here:

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Quote:
Nope, a girl can have the "condition" too! I don't do the spreadsheets but I do make copious notes, read volumes of information, and spend hours researching.

I am the queen of upgrading. Just added a new Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX770 video card (4GB) to my Windows video editor. Figured it might improve render times in Adobe After Effects. My previous card was pretty beefy but the new one has so many more CUDA cores and is faster and cooler! I also added a new SSD and more memory.... yup upgrade queen that's me.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannySueSnaps View Post
" ... He can barely open his messages and I don't think he has ever sent one. I however, have enough gadgets to open my own store.
We have that in common. My husband makes me retrieve his email and type replies. I am the geek in the house.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple bringing a Wearable out in October for their new HealthKit ?? | Carriers rolling out exclusive iPhone 6 plans/deals »