Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Old MacPro is Gone! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/305336-old-macpro-gone.html)

RavingMac 11-06-2013 07:20 PM

Old MacPro is Gone!
 
Has been removed from the Apple Store. Only available is the New MacPro listed as coming in December, and no refurbs in the clearance store either.

chscag 11-06-2013 08:16 PM

And I'm betting the used market for the older Mac Pros are going to either dry up fairly fast or inflate +++++ = $$ I don't know about you, but the new Mac Pro does nothing for me.

pigoo3 11-06-2013 08:45 PM

Very strange & interesting at the same time!;)

- Nick

p.s. We do seem to get a little more configuration info.:)

Exodist 11-07-2013 12:15 PM

I am very interested in seeing how the market takes to them.

On one hand I really like them, powerful and compact. The other lack of customization means that not every Mac is built to one taste.. Then again, they haven't put them up on the store website for purchase yet. I would love to see a model with one video card leaving room for a extra HDD for disk space.

What I can't phantom though, is the small hard drives. If one needs a powerful workstation, that means that person is crunching large amounts of data. 256GB SSD is to small.. Base Model should be 1TB IMHO.. Even if it has to be a 7200RPM HDD.

VAMountaineer 11-11-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodist (Post 1548906)
I am very interested in seeing how the market takes to them.

On one hand I really like them, powerful and compact. The other lack of customization means that not every Mac is built to one taste.. Then again, they haven't put them up on the store website for purchase yet. I would love to see a model with one video card leaving room for a extra HDD for disk space.

What I can't phantom though, is the small hard drives. If one needs a powerful workstation, that means that person is crunching large amounts of data. 256GB SSD is to small.. Base Model should be 1TB IMHO.. Even if it has to be a 7200RPM HDD.

Buy a thunderbolt external case and put a 10k drive in it.

dtravis7 11-11-2013 03:24 PM

Yes buy a bunch of externals. Not to sound mean but that reminds me of my maxed out Atari 8-Bit with drives all over my desk and everything plugged into the SIO Bus. A Mess of cables and cases. It's sad we seem to be coming back to that sort of mess! :D Grin

VAMountaineer 11-11-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1549723)
Yes buy a bunch of externals. Not to sound mean but that reminds me of my maxed out Atari 8-Bit with drives all over my desk and everything plugged into the SIO Bus. A Mess of cables and cases. It's sad we seem to be coming back to that sort of mess! :D Grin


agreed.. personally I detest the addition of multiple external power supplies (ie., inbred failure points), but from Apple's perspective, this is the absolute best way to soak the faithful for their money... They get the tax on the initial item, then bump you additionally for every additional item you buy

Thunderbolt cable? $30 for a $1.19 cable)..
cute boxy thingy with apple logo and 500gb drive? $200 markup over competition...
etc etc...

I call it the apple tax - they're finding new and creative ways to separate the gullible from their money.

TattooedMac 11-11-2013 08:40 PM

I really don't know what the hoopla haa is all about. Remember this MacPro v=can daisy chain unto 3 4K or 6 Thunderbolt monitors and that alone is some hell of a lot of pawer. There is NOTHING out there at the moment (yes even Alienware) that comes close to it, and Apple say this will last you 10yrs.
Yea the 256GB SSD isn't a lot, but honestly for the price they are asking for the base model, buy more.
I love the new Mac Pro and if i was in the market for a Desktop i would probably look at one considering that they are only 1K more than the top range iMac.
Everyone is about customisation these days, but you would be silly not to get extended warranty with it though. . .
#givemeone

Exodist 12-06-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAMountaineer (Post 1549694)
Buy a thunderbolt external case and put a 10k drive in it.

Buying a 4000 dollar machine then having to buy a 500 dollar external storage solution is a slap in the face to consumers. This move all together seems contradictory to the all-in-one solutions such as the iMac we have been seeing for the past decade. Now to stop that and head back into making things modular, just seems like a step back. All this because they couldn't find room for a 2.5" HDD in the case.. Sad.. There is actually a lot of wasted space in the new Mac Pro that could have been done better.


Speaking of which.. Its now Dec 6th, isn't they supposed to start selling by now??

chscag 12-06-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Speaking of which.. Its now Dec 6th, isn't they supposed to start selling by now??
Should be soon. Apple did announce it would be released for sale in December, however, they did not give a specific date. Latest issue of MacWorld has an interesting article about the new Mac Pro on page 14 (Jan 2014 issue). The entry level Mac Pro is $2999 while the better unit will sell for $3999. Both of those prices are before you add options which are needed like a hard drive! ;P

Exodist 12-06-2013 11:14 PM

Yea I was reading on that... The 2999 entry level workstation I guess you can call it. Would be down right perfect for me. Except it just chaps my rear end to think I would have to buy a hugely expensive ($200 or more) thunderbolt enclosure just to put a cheap *** 40 dollar 1TB hard drive when it should have been in the mac pro to start with. :( /angry birds...

chscag 12-06-2013 11:17 PM

It's like buying a brand new Mercedes Benz for $45,000 only to find out that you have to pay extra for the engine which is not included. ;P

Thymen 12-16-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1554834)
It's like buying a brand new Mercedes Benz for $45,000 only to find out that you have to pay extra for the engine which is not included. ;P

Engine available at twice the price of the car….but you DO get the promise that there will be lots and lots of aftermarket engines to pick from very soon…..

Yeah, right…. another Thunderbolt promise. I am still waiting for the market to be flooded with peripherals for that…

chas_m 12-16-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1548735)
And I'm betting the used market for the older Mac Pros are going to either dry up fairly fast or inflate +++++ = $$ I don't know about you, but the new Mac Pro does nothing for me.

Since you haven't tested it in any fashion, you might just possibly be jumping to conclusions a wee bit. Why not wait and see what, for example, Tom's Hardware or Ars Technica have to say?

I'm not the target demographic for the new (or old) Mac Pro anymore, but to me it looks like a beast for the kinds of work I used to do. And cheaper than they used to be as well.

PS. "Old" Mac Pros currently on the refurb site.

Exodist 12-16-2013 09:23 PM

My only real complaint is that while the base model looks priced really good for what your getting. Its that I then have to spend $499 USD for a stinking TB2 external RAID enclosure to have speedy and redundent drives for my photos. RAW files take up space 40-50MB each! Couple of thousand per shoot and bam, full drive!


But then again. I am thinking about getting that Western Digital TB2 8TB RAID system for my Mac Mini.. Guess that makes my point mute.. :-(


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.