New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Old MacPro is Gone!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Um, you should read Anandtech's review on the new 21.5" iMacs display. DEAD ON with no calibration needed. Superb in fact. Both Anand and his partner were knocked out.
Uh, I have.

Dead on to WHAT exactly?

Calibration changes over time and needed to be redone on a regular schedule. In addition, critical color requires different calibration points for different needs. For example a pre-press calibration is different than a web delivery calibration which is also different from a print matching calibration. Finally proper calibration needs to be done at the monitor lever rather than done with the graphic card LUT's. This is not possible with the iMac.

And calibration is not simply color but its properly controlled luminance as well, yet another iMac weakness.

The iMac is a nice machine, but its not even close when it comes to critical color.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Use whatever makes you happy. The review covers more than just one test on the display. I just did not want people thinking it was not an accurate display and not purchasing due to that.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Sorry you disagree with the review. Anand knows his stuff. Few disagree but I guess you do. Use whatever makes you happy.

You really failed to read and comprehend my reply. Oh well. Anand showed you ONE point of calibration to ONE standard. I don't disagree with this other than it's totally useless in the world of critical color, which was and still is my point.

If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you.

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you.
This is probably taking things a bit too far. To say that the color calibration on newer iMac displays is "pedestrian" might be a bit harsh. If we were talking about some sort of "el cheapo"...$150...off-brand display from Walmart...I would agree.

Maybe the color calibration on newer iMac's isn't up to the standards you need (which is perfectly fine and understandable)...but to say that the color calibration is pedestrian might be over-stating things a bit.. I'm sure that the Anandtech's review "dtravis7" referred to has some truths to it...since those reviews are always very technical, well written, and objectively assessed.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is probably taking things a bit too far. To say that the color calibration on newer iMac displays is "pedestrian" might be a bit harsh. If we were talking about some sort of "el cheapo"...$150...off-brand display from Walmart...I would agree.

Maybe the color calibration on newer iMac's isn't up to the standards you need (which is perfectly fine and understandable)...but to say that the color calibration is pedestrian might be over-stating things a bit.. I'm sure that the Anandtech's review "dtravis7" referred to has some truths to it...since those reviews are always very technical, well written, and objectively assessed.

- Nick
No I hit the nail directly on the head in the CONTEXT of my original post.

BTW I did not call the the calibration of the monitor "pedestian". Lets review:
"If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you."

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BTW I did not call the the calibration of the monitor "pedestian". Lets review:
"If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you."
What I'm REALLY trying to say is...please dial-down the "snarkiness". We like to keep things friendly.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What I'm REALLY trying to say is...please dial-down the "snarkiness". We like to keep things friendly.

Thanks,

- Nick
Do you like to keep things fact and context based?

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Do you like to keep things fact and context based?
If you're a photography professional (which it appears you are)...you probably know a lot more about color calibration than most of us...and color calibration is probably much more important to you.

All opinons are appreciated. We at Mac-Forums like to keep things friendly and respectful.

Thank you,

- Nick

p.s. We are certainly off-topic. If there are any further comments regarding posting style...please send me a PM. Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just don't want users here thinking the iMacs display is not accurate as the review shows it is and not just one test either. Some of the displays that we are talking about here earlier cost as much as the iMac. I would HOPE they are accurate! Grin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I can understand where Craig is coming from. As a professional he probably knows more about color correction than most people and since he earns his living that way, he would want the very best in color monitors.

My iMac is great for what I use it for. I can't tell the difference between a monitor which has been color corrected and one that hasn't been anyway. Solitaire looks pretty good on this iMac monitor!

Have a Merry Xmas and remember the reason for the season!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Solitaire looks pretty good on this iMac monitor!
Ha ha. I remember when you were thinking about (or seriously considering) getting $999 27" Thunderbolt display. Hey...nothings too good or too expensive to play a free solitaire app on!

And hey...entertainment is entertainment. Solitaire or the latest first person shooter...both look great on a great display!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Colour Calibration = Data Color Spyder . . . Full Stop

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Wow this debate over something I said.. :-p
Its true the iMacs are not the best displays, then again the NECs cost about 1400 USD. However even ASUS makes a great pre calibrated 27" IPS LED monitor calibrated to 99% of Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB with full CYMK control for 899 USD.
But my post was geared more to the computers hardware side and I wasn't fully thinking about the monitor. That said, most professional photographers that I know of and follow do use iMacs and Mac Pros both for their post processing. So they can't be that bad. They may however lack on the graphics side for professional printing. As that if I am not mistaken requires a separate preset for the monitor. Which is why the Mac Pro was my choice for commercial graphics design (i.e Magazines and such). But for web graphics and general photography. The iMac displays are fine.

Exodist Photography on Youtube
Lightroom, Photoshop video tutorials and more...
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite

I was just looking on Apples page to buy a new 17" MacBook Pro to replace my dying 2009 17" MBP but Apple no longer sell the 17"??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's right, the 17" MacBook Pro was discontinued. However, if you're lucky you may be able to find one in the Apple refurbished store. Also third party resellers still have some in stock that they're advertising. Do some searching and you may be able to find one at a reasonable price.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon | OS X Beta Seed now available to all »