New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Old MacPro is Gone!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It doesn't matter whether I test it or not. I will probably never buy a Mac Pro, and since I just recently purchased a new 2013 27" iMac that reenforces what I stated.

Quote:
PS. "Old" Mac Pros currently on the refurb site.
Nice to know for those who are looking for a Mac Pro but not interested in buying the new model. Thanks for posting.
QUOTE Thanks
smb

smb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

Well I guess it will be on the "shelves" tomorrow.
Sold my old Mac Pro (3.1) but went with the iMac 27" as the new MPro was more than I needed or wanted to spend.
I think that was Apple's intention though; shrink the demographic for the new Mpro.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

For the heck of it I configured a new Mac Pro as I would buy it (if I were currently in the market) and it priced out at $3899 for the base model upgraded to 16GB Ram and 1TB Flash Drive.
Not cheap, but not totally out of range either.
Still, I would be more inclined to pickup a refurb 2012 Pro and upgrade it to suit me.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
smb

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
$3899 for the base model upgraded to 16GB Ram and 1TB Flash Drive.

Is that with a display? Add another 1k.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb View Post

Is that with a display? Add another 1k.
Don't need a display, but if going for the 4K model add another $3600

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
smb

I was just thinking about pricing it out for myself. The 27" Mac display is I believe 1k.
None the less more than I need to spent for what I do.
Some reports of delivery pushed back until Feb.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
For the heck of it I configured a new Mac Pro as I would buy it (if I were currently in the market) and it priced out at $3899 for the base model upgraded to 16GB Ram and 1TB Flash Drive.
Not cheap, but not totally out of range either.
Still, I would be more inclined to pickup a refurb 2012 Pro and upgrade it to suit me.
I did similar as well a few hours ago. $3399.00USD, 3.7 QuadCore, 16GB RAM, 512GB FS and rest stock base model.

But then again, waiting to see what the new Mac Minis bring in about 6 months.. Mac Pro seems overkill for photography and web surfing.. LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I did similar as well a few hours ago. $3399.00USD, 3.7 QuadCore, 16GB RAM, 512GB FS and rest stock base model.

But then again, waiting to see what the new Mac Minis bring in about 6 months.. Mac Pro seems overkill for photography and web surfing.. LOL
I have been wanting a Pro, but decide it didn't make sense for my applications (same as yours). My 2012 model MBP will be serving double duty as laptop and desktop.

1) Wallmounted 27 in Monitor on swing arm next to my recliner (already done)
2) Book Arc stand for MBP (planned purchase)
3) Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad (already have)
4) 1 TB M500 Crucial SSD (planned purchase)
5) 16GB RAM upgrade (planned purchase)
6) NAS (already have)
7) Mac Mini network server (already have)
8) 3TB USB 3.0 HD attached to Mini for remote storage (already have)
9) And, of course, several external HDs for backups

I figure this will take care of me for several years to come

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well it looks like things are getting overloaded at Apple with the new Mac Pro (Built in the US isn't it ?? From memory) Anyways, only a few hours after going on sale, the date went from Dec 30 2013 to February 2014 sometime. I think they might have underestimated the popularity of the product, and i say a **Good up yours** to all those that thought this was a deal breaker for Apple. I love it, and still say, anything that can daisy chain (3/4/5??) 4K monitors is Grunt waiting to get out. What gets me upset is, they have lanched 10.1 for FCP X to show off the Mac Pro performance, but nothing about a new Aperture
Here is the story anyways . . Apple’s Mac Pro ship date quickly slips to February 2014: Smacks of the iMac fiasco of 2012

Quote:
“The Mac Pro situation smelled a bit like the iMac debacle in late 2012, when Apple announced the redesigned desktop, but then took weeks to deliver orders,” Keizer reports. “[Apple CEO] Cook ended up regretting the hasty iMac introduction, which was a major cause of a 22% decline in Mac revenue in 2012′s fourth quarter compared to the same period the year before.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
I have been wanting a Pro, but decide it didn't make sense for my applications (same as yours). My 2012 model MBP will be serving double duty as laptop and desktop.

I figure this will take care of me for several years to come
I have been considering a 13" MBP as a dual purpose as well. Desktop use at home on a bookshelf stand, then as a mobile solution when on the go. I have a iPad Mini currently as my mobile solution, which does what I want. But also depend on the futures on Mac Minis. So many options.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
W........ but nothing about a new Aperture
I am not sure why Apple hasn't updated Aperture, it needs a major overhaul and update. This sadly is why I am using Lightroom.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

They'll get to Aperture. You don't really need a Mac Pro if your primary app is Aperture. You might need one if your moneymaker is Photoshop.

As for the February date, I'm always amazed at what short memories Mac people seem to have. The iPhone 5s got hit with a wave of popularity, few to be had on launch and delivery pushed back (in October) to December and then just (no date) ... ie they weren't sure they could make December!

Come December oh look they're everywhere.

Same thing will happen with the Mac Pro ... wait a couple of weeks and you'll see the ship times drop back down in stages ... guaranteed.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
They'll get to Aperture. You don't really need a Mac Pro if your primary app is Aperture. You might need one if your moneymaker is Photoshop.
I wouldn't even go that far to say Photoshop. Although it will utilize your systems video card, still not all the functions in PS do and the ones that do are still don't use it to the fullest. I would be more inclined to say a good iMac with a top of the line mobile video chipset.

Now what would use a Mac Pro to the fullest is say CAD programs like Solidworks, or software used for number crunching for SETI or Medical Platforms. And let me not forget the mass of the market for the new Mac Pro would be video editors without a doubt.

Then again, it depends on how patient the user is and if its a business were does productivity and development cost meet.

My personal stand point based on todays current Mac desktop models:

Mac Mini - Photography, Moderate graphics design and occasional video editing.

iMac - Commercial Photography, commercial graphics design, moderate video editing.

Mac Pro - Commercial Video Editing and Production, 3D Modeling/CAD and model simulation, Number Crunching for Medical and Stellar Research.

EDIT:
After posting this I realized. Apple doesn't have any "real" servers. They sell the Mac Mini as a server platform, but it isn't. Although it doesn't take much of a CPU these days to be a server, it lacks the ability to hot swap disk drives and it doesn't offer the data integrity(error bit checking)that a Xeon based server system would. This was a nich that the Mac Pro was covering. But no one wants dual video cards in a modern server. So were does apple go from here with a server platform. Could they offer a Xeon based Mini without disk drives allowing one to purchase a RAID system separately? Or could they sell a Mac Pro in the futures with a low end video card and internal Flash storage running in RAID mirroring?

QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I

iMac - Commercial Photography, commercial graphics design, moderate video editing.
While the iMac is a great machine, the monitor leaves a lot to be desired for anyone using it for critical color work like Commercial Photography. It can't hold a candle to the standards for critical color, like NEC and Eizo.

For that reason alone I eliminate any Imac as a production machine for photography where critical color is important.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Um, you should read Anandtech's review on the new 21.5" iMacs display. DEAD ON with no calibration needed. Superb in fact. Both Anand and his partner were knocked out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon | OS X Beta Seed now available to all »