Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Say goodbye to 15in Non-retina MBP (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/304609-say-goodbye-15in-non-retina-mbp.html)

RavingMac 10-22-2013 03:18 PM

Say goodbye to 15in Non-retina MBP

Only the 13in non-retina remains in the Apple Store (other than refurbs). So if you want one better get it while they are still available.

cwa107 10-22-2013 03:55 PM

Bummer. This will likely be my last Apple notebook.

dtravis7 10-22-2013 03:58 PM

I was just coming to post this. Very sad. So Chris, what will you do when your MBP wears out? I feel the same way you do BTW. Bugs me.

Raz0rEdge 10-22-2013 04:03 PM

I wish they would kept the upgradability of the non-Retina MBP in the rMBP, especially if they are getting rid of the non-Retina option. Forcing people to pay the higher prices for the upgrades is tough to swallow..

dtravis7 10-22-2013 04:06 PM

Agree completely. If you purchase one you better get all the RAM you will ever need as you can never upgrade it. The SSD can be with at least OWC options, but still a pain.

pigoo3 10-22-2013 04:07 PM

I figured this day was coming. Kind of like when Apple did away with the "matte" display on laptops...and got rid of the 17" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

dtravis7 10-22-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1544492)
I figured this day was coming. Kind of like when Apple did away with the "matte" display on laptops...and got rid of the 17" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

That was the first thing I went and checked after Apple updated their page and store. I was sort of expecting it just not this soon. Well Nick, you and I will have to buy up all the old MBPs and keep them for a rainy day! :D Grin

pigoo3 10-22-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1544494)
Well Nick, you and I will have to buy up all the old MBPs and keep them for a rainy day! :D Grin

Yes sir. It will probably still be a good while before I own a retina MacBook Pro.

My two Early 2011 MacBook Pro's are just getting "warmed up" in terms of their lifespan with me!;)

- Nick

cwa107 10-22-2013 04:22 PM

The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast. So I'm choosing to vote with my wallet.

Next time around it will likely be a Dell XPS MacBook Pro clone (a buddy of mine has one of these and it's almost identical to my machine physically - it just has a few more ports). I can't say what OS I'll run on it, but I will say it won't be Windows 8.1 or any variety of Linux.

pigoo3 10-22-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1544497)
The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast.

Definitely a lot of limitations. In some ways an iPad with a keyboard (without the benefits of a touchscreen).;)

- Nick

dtravis7 10-22-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1544497)
The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast. So I'm choosing to vote with my wallet.

Next time around it will likely be a Dell XPS MacBook Pro clone (a buddy of mine has one of these and it's almost identical to my machine physically - it just has a few more ports). I can't say what OS I'll run on it, but I will say it won't be Windows 8.1 or any variety of Linux.

:D Grin at Chris! I hear you buddy!

My friends wife might sell me her 13" last model MBP. She keeps her stuff Mint and usually cuts the price for me. I might go for it.

cwa107 10-22-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1544498)
Definitely a lot of limitations. In some ways an iPad with a keyboard (without the benefits of a touchscreen).;)

- Nick

I stand by my assessment of it when it first came out.... it's a 15" MacBook Air. Why they didn't call it that and just leave the 'Pro' for those of us who actually work professionally on computers, I'll never understand. I could care less if it's 1/4" thinner than my MacBook Pro.

dtravis7 10-22-2013 04:35 PM

Again agree. It's really not a PRO machine.

pigoo3 10-22-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1544501)
I stand by my assessment of it when it first came out.... it's a 15" MacBook Air.

That's probably a better analogy.:)

- Nick

chscag 10-22-2013 06:26 PM

I agree with Chris. When I have to pay $2600 to get a Mac notebook with discrete graphics, it's time to move on. And I'm not impressed with the retina screen either. I believe the 27" iMac, current, or last several previous models are probably the best value from Apple right now.

Yes Chris, that Dell XPS does look pretty good. And it'll run Windows 7 just fine.... :)