New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Say goodbye to 15in Non-retina MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

While they will need to pry my 17" MBP 2011 from my cold, dead hands, my work recently gave me a Retina 15" and it does pretty much wreck this thing in every regard other than sheer size.
QUOTE Thanks
pepsican

pepsican is on a distinguished road

I'm going to upgrade to the rMBP, possibly on next refresh. Almost pulled the trigger this time around, but upgraded my hard drive to SSD and am just fine after that speed boost. I still don't see the purpose of a disc drive in these things, I haven't used mine since I bought it in 2011. I don't think I used mine other than to upgrade to Snow Leopard. All needs covered on that end with USB drives. Really happy to see those go away.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Just ordered a Refurbished 2012 15.4-inch MacBook Pro i7… sad to say that it will probably will be my last Apple Laptop. Should last me another 5+ years.
Going to trick it out with 16 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD + 500 GB Data Doubler, and pass my current one down to a sibling

I've replaced fans, redone poorly done thermal paste, replaced a entire logic board on a brothers 2007 MBP, soldered out popped capacitors on a 2004 iMac and installed new ones and it really ticks me off the direction Apple is taking with their new products. I basically live in the middle of nowhere, and it would take weeks to get anything even looked at by Apple Techs…

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsican View Post
I'm going to upgrade to the rMBP, possibly on next refresh. Almost pulled the trigger this time around, but upgraded my hard drive to SSD and am just fine after that speed boost. I still don't see the purpose of a disc drive in these things, I haven't used mine since I bought it in 2011. I don't think I used mine other than to upgrade to Snow Leopard. All needs covered on that end with USB drives. Really happy to see those go away.
While thats fine for people that have no need for them but I rip my CD's to lossless and having to buy a USB optical drive is just more things to clutter the desk and IMO they retired it to early and some would have wanted a BD drive but that will never happen.
Now if they offered lossless selections in iTunes I might never miss my optical drive.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
I was looking into getting a more powerful MacBook (a la MBP) with a disc drive last year...unfortunately the funds weren't enough.

Now I'm kicking myself...I guess a USB disc drive (do they even make Thunderbolt drives?) will do if I decide on a future MacBook.

I've had this white unibody MB since spring of 2010, so it's not exactly time to replace it.
Apple refurb store, or bestbuys still have the base 2012 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
While thats fine for people that have no need for them but I rip my CD's to lossless and having to buy a USB optical drive is just more things to clutter the desk and IMO they retired it to early and some would have wanted a BD drive but that will never happen.
Now if they offered lossless selections in iTunes I might never miss my optical drive.
Yeah, for a desk top I can see, but halling around a usb drive for laptops is a pain
QUOTE Thanks
pepsican

pepsican is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Whoops, I meant a USB thumb drive. 64GB can be had for $25-30. I can plug that into my car/home stereo/TV/other computers/etc. Same goes for movie rips. Easily downloaded, transferred to thumb drive, then plugged into the TV.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that many folks agree on around 3 years being a good number. But I think 3-5 years probably encompasses a large majority of users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'm typically on a 3 year replacement cycle for laptops - that is until I bought my current 2011 MBP. I have a feeling this one will have legs for another 2-3 years. In the next year, I will probably go with a 480GB SSD and maybe replace the battery and go to 16GB, but for now, it has plenty of horsepower for my needs.
Thanks guys. About 3 is what I'm on as well, but with these interesting new OS developments it's going to be interesting to see if the cycle can be lengthened.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

What's getting me about the rMBP is the lack of/price of storage space.

RAM? Two hundred extra bucks up front, okay. That's reasonably priced compared to the market for upgradable RAM on Newegg.

DVD drive? I'll miss it, but I'll find a way.

Display? It's nice. I like it quite a bit.

Storage? EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR ONE TERABYTE OF STORAGE. EIGHT. HUNDRED. That's obnoxious. I'm not lugging around a portable hard drive just to carry the things I need. You hamper the portability of the machine, and might as well get an iMac at that point.

So, I bought a Mid-2012 MBP before the announcement, knowing it was probably gonna disappear after that. Put a big ol' hybrid hard drive in it. Upped the RAM to 8GB. It's great. The best machine I've owned.

I got almost 7 years out of my old MacBook, I'll hopefully get at least five out of this new MacBook Pro. At that point, maybe SSD storage costs will come down and I'll be able to get 2TB in there for a reasonable price. Until then, I'm just not interested in the rMBP. It's not prime time for SSDs. Not quite yet.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
It's not prime time for SSDs. Not quite yet.
How do you figure? I would have agreed with you 2 years ago, but modern SSDs are reliable, the pricing is really starting to come down (under $1/gigabyte) and drives from mainstream vendors are pretty solid from a reliability standpoint.

$800 for 1TB from Apple is ridiculous, but then, they've never priced storage reasonably. I still find it laughable that a 32GB iPad is a $100 premium over 16GB. When a 32GB flash drive is $20, that's just ridiculous.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
How do you figure? I would have agreed with you 2 years ago, but modern SSDs are reliable, the pricing is really starting to come down (under $1/gigabyte) and drives from mainstream vendors are pretty solid from a reliability standpoint.

$800 for 1TB from Apple is ridiculous, but then, they've never priced storage reasonably. I still find it laughable that a 32GB iPad is a $100 premium over 16GB. When a 32GB flash drive is $20, that's just ridiculous.
Oh, I meant specifically for Apple's pricing, since they're a "non-user serviceable part".

On the whole they're getting cheaper, I still think they're overpriced to all heck, but definitely not like they were a few years back.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Oh, I meant specifically for Apple's pricing, since they're a "non-user serviceable part".

On the whole they're getting cheaper, I still think they're overpriced to all heck, but definitely not like they were a few years back.
See that is the issue with the new MBP and Air and even Mac Pro.. You are stuck with some proprietary drive that you at least for now have no way around the high price.

You were very smart Derek getting that last model Normal MBP when you did. It should last you a long time to come.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
See that is the issue with the new MBP and Air and even Mac Pro.. You are stuck with some proprietary drive that you at least for now have no way around the high price.

You were very smart Derek getting that last model Normal MBP when you did. It should last you a long time to come.
Thank you! The fact that I just now started to feel the pinch on a base-model C2D MacBook from 2007 says that this machine probably won't feel cramped for quite some time. Definitely glad I upgraded when I did. Finally got the machine I wanted in the first place, haha.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is cool. I am still using my C2D 2007 Santa Rosa Macbook like yours. Still works great, just the typical cracks around the trackpad area.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

See a lot of post about users not liking the Retina MBP? I thought this would be a sought out upgrade. While I would like the 17" model, the 15" retina offers more screen real-estate. As a amateur photographer. The retina displays are just amazing and something I would want if getting a MBP. Though I suspect pricing is the reason they dropped the 17" models in favor of 15". Perhaps when manufacturing cost on the displays drop they will re introduce a 17" model with retina display.

EDIT:
Noticed the issue is more with the storage.. Yea.. Not supper thrilled about that either.. Much rather had a 1TB Samsung Revo in it and saved a ton of cash.

Exodist Photography on Youtube
Lightroom, Photoshop video tutorials and more...
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
See a lot of post about users not liking the Retina MBP? I thought this would be a sought out upgrade. While I would like the 17" model, the 15" retina offers more screen real-estate. As a amateur photographer. The retina displays are just amazing and something I would want if getting a MBP. Though I suspect pricing is the reason they dropped the 17" models in favor of 15". Perhaps when manufacturing cost on the displays drop they will re introduce a 17" model with retina display.

EDIT:
Noticed the issue is more with the storage.. Yea.. Not supper thrilled about that either.. Much rather had a 1TB Samsung Revo in it and saved a ton of cash.
Yep. For most of us it's entirely about having soldered in RAM and a non-standard SSD. If it had upgradable RAM and a standard, readily available from third parties SSD, we'd be all over it. It's a gorgeous machine, just, those two things are important to power users, and we're all feeling kind of ignored because of it.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WWDC 2014 Announced for June 2-6 | Say goodbye to Aperture, Apple announces they won't continue to develop Aperture !!! »