New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Hi everyone,

To keep the conversation about today's presentation and announcements coherent and together, I've started this thread that we can use to discuss the presentation as/before/after it happens.

The presentation happens at 10AM Pacific (N.A.), 1PM Eastern (N.A.), 6PM in England, 7PM in W. Europe and late at night/early in the morning for our Australian contingent.

Places to follow:
- Engadget
- Ars Technica

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Is there any hope for a video stream?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Watched it on Cnet. They had a vote. I voted Not Impressed! Yes, I said it.

New plastic 5c with many colors but same CPU as iPhone 5.

New Champagne Gold 5s with 64-Bit CPU, camera they claim is SLR quality (HA) and what i knew was coming, the NSA's dream, Fingerprint sensor under new Crystal home button. You can't use the phone without your fingerprints. That is pretty much it. I will review the Cnet stuff and post more if I missed anything. You use your fingerprint also on the iTunes store.

Ok let the hate Dennis comments start, I don't care! after what I saw I am more and more wanting a Windows 8 phone.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I like the new 5S. I want it, but my upgrade isn't available until early January As of lately, one of my most important needs is the ability to quickly take multiple photos and videos without carrying a camera. I have a feeling this will take good photos, and have easy syncing.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hey Dennis, Gold is pretty! Think of all the ladies who will be buying Gold iPhones!

I do like the fingerprint thing though. Although I think something that measured your DNA would be better. Now instead of the NSA listening in on your phone conversations, they can also get your fingerprints!
QUOTE Thanks
Jayseph

Jayseph is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Shuffle

Pretty impressed actually. I can upgrade in October, but not sure if I will do it immediately. I have a lot of life left in my 4S.

No hate, Dennis, but after so many awful Windows experiences I have had, I can't imagine getting a phone that has Microsoft anything.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

For those of you saying you aren't impressed, has anyone ever really been overly impressed with the "S" model keynotes?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I was impressed with the 4s. Also the 3gs was a very good upgrade, so yes in fact. My 3gs STILL works very well with the latest IOS except IOS7 will finally stop that.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

The iPhone 5C reminds me an awful lot of the Lumia 620 and 625. And cheap too? Hmmm, Apple's after an interestingly non Apple-esque market.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

How about the OS between the Lumina and 5c? I am very impressed with wp8 for a touch device.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

All the leaks and trustworthy rumors kinda ruined the presentation. We all knew what's coming. That's my impression. The major differences between 5 and 5S are not a lot. My co-worker is going to upgrade from 4S to 5S and I will see how it works but I doubt I will switch my 5 to 5S.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

My iPhone 5 does everything I want it to. Seeing as I just bought it in July, I'm kind of happy the 5S doesn't have any one feature I couldn't live without.

64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs. In practical terms, I don't see it making a huge impact on performance, at least for now.

I do like the fingerprint sensor idea as I am one who uses a PIN (I'm required to for work email synchronization). But then, entering my PIN has become second-nature and is not really a big deal now that I've gotten used to it.

Anyway, it's yet another lackluster WWDC keynote. Wake me up when there's some Mac/OS X or even some iPad news.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs.
I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.
As usual, we share the same opinion, but you're able to put it together in a much more eloquent way

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

danny842003 is an unknown at this point

Well I cant wait to get my hands on one. My 4 has been ruining so slow for about 6 months and i smashed the screen about 4 months ago and put a cheap eBay screen on it that is driving me mad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Confirms September 10th iPhone Event | Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics. »