Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/303109-iphone-ios-presentation-discussion-thread.html)

vansmith 09-10-2013 10:44 AM

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

Hi everyone,

To keep the conversation about today's presentation and announcements coherent and together, I've started this thread that we can use to discuss the presentation as/before/after it happens.

The presentation happens at 10AM Pacific (N.A.), 1PM Eastern (N.A.), 6PM in England, 7PM in W. Europe and late at night/early in the morning for our Australian contingent.

Places to follow:
- Engadget
- Ars Technica

AUZambo 09-10-2013 12:54 PM

Is there any hope for a video stream?

dtravis7 09-10-2013 02:16 PM

Watched it on Cnet. They had a vote. I voted Not Impressed! Yes, I said it.

New plastic 5c with many colors but same CPU as iPhone 5.

New Champagne Gold 5s with 64-Bit CPU, camera they claim is SLR quality (HA) and what i knew was coming, the NSA's dream, Fingerprint sensor under new Crystal home button. You can't use the phone without your fingerprints. That is pretty much it. I will review the Cnet stuff and post more if I missed anything. You use your fingerprint also on the iTunes store.

Ok let the hate Dennis comments start, I don't care! :D after what I saw I am more and more wanting a Windows 8 phone.

iggibar 09-10-2013 02:22 PM

I like the new 5S. I want it, but my upgrade isn't available until early January:) As of lately, one of my most important needs is the ability to quickly take multiple photos and videos without carrying a camera. I have a feeling this will take good photos, and have easy syncing.

chscag 09-10-2013 02:22 PM

Hey Dennis, Gold is pretty! Think of all the ladies who will be buying Gold iPhones! :P

I do like the fingerprint thing though. Although I think something that measured your DNA would be better. Now instead of the NSA listening in on your phone conversations, they can also get your fingerprints! ;P

Jayseph 09-10-2013 02:37 PM

Pretty impressed actually. I can upgrade in October, but not sure if I will do it immediately. I have a lot of life left in my 4S.

No hate, Dennis, but after so many awful Windows experiences I have had, I can't imagine getting a phone that has Microsoft anything.

AUZambo 09-10-2013 02:44 PM

For those of you saying you aren't impressed, has anyone ever really been overly impressed with the "S" model keynotes?

dtravis7 09-10-2013 03:29 PM

I was impressed with the 4s. Also the 3gs was a very good upgrade, so yes in fact. My 3gs STILL works very well with the latest IOS except IOS7 will finally stop that.

vansmith 09-10-2013 03:42 PM

The iPhone 5C reminds me an awful lot of the Lumia 620 and 625. And cheap too? Hmmm, Apple's after an interestingly non Apple-esque market.

dtravis7 09-10-2013 03:48 PM

How about the OS between the Lumina and 5c? I am very impressed with wp8 for a touch device.

odenkun 09-10-2013 04:06 PM

All the leaks and trustworthy rumors kinda ruined the presentation. We all knew what's coming. That's my impression. The major differences between 5 and 5S are not a lot. My co-worker is going to upgrade from 4S to 5S and I will see how it works but I doubt I will switch my 5 to 5S.

cwa107 09-10-2013 04:12 PM

My iPhone 5 does everything I want it to. Seeing as I just bought it in July, I'm kind of happy the 5S doesn't have any one feature I couldn't live without.

64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs. In practical terms, I don't see it making a huge impact on performance, at least for now.

I do like the fingerprint sensor idea as I am one who uses a PIN (I'm required to for work email synchronization). But then, entering my PIN has become second-nature and is not really a big deal now that I've gotten used to it.

Anyway, it's yet another lackluster WWDC keynote. Wake me up when there's some Mac/OS X or even some iPad news.

vansmith 09-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1536219)
64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs.

I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.

cwa107 09-10-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1536222)
I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.

As usual, we share the same opinion, but you're able to put it together in a much more eloquent way :)

danny842003 09-10-2013 04:58 PM

Well I cant wait to get my hands on one. My 4 has been ruining so slow for about 6 months and i smashed the screen about 4 months ago and put a cheap eBay screen on it that is driving me mad.