New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's chunky read but here's a pretty extensive end-to-end review of the 5s that touches on many points raised here:

AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The A7 CPU in the 5s is BEATING the new Intel Bay Trail Atom in many benchmarks. Like in Sunspider. That is the first device CPU to do this. My jaw about hit the floor when I saw that in Anands benchmarks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
ARM-based Macs, in another five years. Ten, tops. Calling it now!
ARM licensees seem pretty focused on using its inherent power sipping designs for devices that need as much longevity as possible. What that means for future desktop designs is uncertain so I suppose anything is possible but Apple seems to be having tremendous success getting that battery life from Intel processors. So, I'll take that bet ($50?).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
ARM licensees seem pretty focused on using its inherent power sipping designs for devices that need as much longevity as possible. What that means for future desktop designs is uncertain so I suppose anything is possible but Apple seems to be having tremendous success getting that battery life from Intel processors. So, I'll take that bet ($50?).
That'll barely cover lunch in 10 years.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I wish people would read that review I posted the URL to with both 32 and 64 bit benchmarks. If you think Anand and his team don't know their stuff, I have pitty for you. That CPU is that much faster and in 64-Bit even more so.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I wish people would read that review I posted the URL to with both 32 and 64 bit benchmarks. If you think Anand and his team don't know their stuff, I have pitty for you. That CPU is that much faster and in 64-Bit even more so.
I was a long-time reader of Anandtech back before I switched to Macs and was building my own PCs. They and Tom's Hardware were my go-to sites for making decisions on what components to buy based on their guides and reviews. As far as I'm concerned, what they say is godsend.

Hey wait... I thought you weren't impressed with the 5S?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
I was a long-time reader of Anandtech back before I switched to Macs and was building my own PCs. They and Tom's Hardware were my go-to sites for making decisions on what components to buy based on their guides and reviews.

Hey wait... I thought you weren't impressed with the 5S?
5C. At the very first I was doubting 64-Bits like most were. Benchmarks tell the story so be nice. Before the tests there no proof of it's benefits.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Whats funny will be watching the competition scramble to come out with their 64bit platform.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
5C. At the very first I was doubting 64-Bits like most were. Benchmarks tell the story so be nice. Before the tests there no proof of it's benefits.
Ah. Well no one should be impressed by the 5C. It literally is the iPhone 5 with a plastic shell instead of the aluminum one.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Whats funny will be watching the competition scramble to come out with their 64bit platform.
No kidding. And Android isn't even 64-bit capable. Errrr... at least I had read that it wasn't and making it so would be no small matter, but articles are now out saying that it is 64-bit capable and always has been. I'm confused.
Android 64-bit support already baked in: just add hardware - SlashGear

Certainly Linux is 64-bit capable, but my understanding is that the Java VM (Dalvik) isn't and that's going to be the challenge.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
No kidding. And Android isn't even 64-bit capable. Errrr... at least I had read that it wasn't and making it so would be no small matter, but articles are now out saying that it is 64-bit capable and always has been. I'm confused.
Android 64-bit support already baked in: just add hardware - SlashGear
I'm guessing your confusion is similar in character to mine - Linux has been 64-bit for years but who knows what work is (not) needed to make the other layers 64-bit. I tried to find an answer but ended up finding things that make absolutely no sense to me.

I'm starting to see that the 64-bit processor has a few tangible benefits now and that it's very likely that support for it will grow over time (something I never doubted but it seems that it will happen with greater speed). I'm not sure what this means for mobile platforms but it can only be exciting.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Gruber (DaringFireball) also points out that the speed benefits aren't just because its 64bit (64bit is just an added bonus) and that most of the speed boost is because the new ARMv8 architecture design for the new A7.

Quote:
What does this mean? It means, for one thing, that the biggest reason for the performance and power consumption improvements going from the A6 to A7 is the switch from the ARMv7 to ARMv8 architectures, not 32- to 64-bit. ARMv8’s improved instruction set alone has resulted in 15-20 percent performance gains while simultaneously using less power, from what I’ve been told by informed sources. And though Apple could have gone to ARMv8 while remaining 32-bit only, it made no sense not to go 64-bit.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Read the two graphs toward the bottom of this page. Person who ran the tests knows what they are doing. Same CPU with 32 and 64 bit performance tests.

AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Great write-ups on the new processors. Very informative, and very exciting.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

@lifeisabeach I think I have heard others suggest a few years ago that this processing power would soon be available so you are probably. I think it will take that kind of power to make wearable computing anywhere close to feasible on a wide scale.

When Apple announced a 64 bit processor arrangement I figured there had to be some forward-looking reason. It's not the kind of thing that strikes me as change for change sake. For me, the real question is what will developers do with this power? Eye candy or something truly interesting?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Confirms September 10th iPhone Event | Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics. »