New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I was hoping for a comment from Van on his thoughts on IOS7 VS Windows 8 phone.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I was hoping for a comment from Van on his thoughts on IOS7 VS Windows 8 phone.
Haha, my thoughts on iOS are crystal clear at this point (for those who don't know, I think it's fine just not as revolutionary as it once was). WP8 still intrigues me - I like the paradigm and minimalistic aesthetics but I couldn't possibly own a device running it.

I read an interesting statement today about the 64-bit transition on OSNews:
Quote:
I doubt 64bit will provide much benefit today, but you have to hand it to Apple: at least they're done with the transition before it's even needed.
The way mobile phones are developing and becoming normal tools in social and business workflows, there's little doubt that 64-bit will be the norm at some point much like it did with PCs (I mean this in the broadest sense). This is where I think this is interesting - Apple got the transition over with now before anyone cared so that when (if?) it does, Apple will have long since prepared for it. This of course assumes that the 32 to 64 bit transition is all that painful which, if personal computing is any sign, it's really not. Regardless, this isn't to detract from the early work that Apple has done which certainly isn't harmful (the value is still to be judged though).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'm eagerly awaiting my 5S. Looking forward to the fingerprint scanner (fingerprints are said, by Apple, to be stored locally on the iPhone, no iCloud/NSA involvement) and the new camera. Plus the larger screen as I'm still on a 4S.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

I'll be moving from my 4S to a 5S. Looking forward to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm still on a iPhone 4 which I got dirt cheap a few months ago. At the time I was saving pennies against the possibility of need ing a new Mac.

I was in the AT&T store recently and the rep clued me in to their device replacement option (which I mistakenly thought was only for non Apple gear). A 5s would be nice but I think I will be using the replacement program to replace my first gen iPad. I'm having to reboot it more often lately - especially when installing app updates.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Well for what it is worth I have no use for any phone that requires a fingerprint to access it. I have had a fingerprint sensor on two different laptops and neither worked well. Or it could just be me. I have had two jobs that required background checks and it takes them forever to get a good set of prints from me using a scanner.

I will just stick with my Note II. Love it.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
dwhygienist

dwhygienist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig

Sadly, I have to wait till the end of Feb 2014 to upgrade my phone- by then the smoke will have cleared, the long lines will have passed and any bugs(if any) will have been fixed. i do think the fingerprint would be good on the iPad as more sensitive information is on a tablet over a phone. Probably will see that in late 2014. I wish they will announce the new iPad so the price will drop on the current model.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I will have to wait another year do to contract but after watching the Keynote I would love to get one.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Next phone will be a Samsung Note 3.

As for the 5s, not much left in the Apple pipeline. What little there is gets scooped weeks ahead of announcement.

This phone should've had a larger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBoater View Post
This phone should've had a larger screen.
And yet it will sell like hotcakes and Apple will be unable to keep up with demand, just like every other version of the iPhone to date. Thus disproving the notion that everyone wants a bigger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S. It has dramatically improved processing power; significant improvements to the camera and flash, which I suspect will once again be proven to be best in class; a fingerprint scanner that, if it works as designed, will be a more pleasant alternative to unlocking with a PIN; the motion co-processessor that will open up some fitness tracking options, or improve upon existing ones. The switch to a 64-bit processor has more implications than some people think, though I don't think it will be beneficial now for much more than a handful of math-intensive apps, based on what I've read. All in all, I'd say this is a very impressive update. Why people think it isn't just baffles me. What, exactly, do those people want? Besides a giant screen?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
What, exactly, do those people want? Besides a giant screen?
I agree. If I need a larger screen, I can just continue to use my iPad 3. I now have to see how much T-Mobile is going to charge for the 5S and if they too will initiate a trade in program.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Note the slight difference between UK and US prices again.

Pity, as the 5c doesn't look too bad.

I suppose the 5s isn't bad if you can afford it
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S. It has dramatically improved processing power; significant improvements to the camera and flash, which I suspect will once again be proven to be best in class; a fingerprint scanner that, if it works as designed, will be a more pleasant alternative to unlocking with a PIN; the motion co-processessor that will open up some fitness tracking options, or improve upon existing ones.
I agree wholeheartedly . . . 64Bit for christ sake, thats a massive, HUGE step up, and yea nothing apart from Infinity Blade III is the only thing that will use its power and in the KeyNote, i must admit it looked amazing. The sad thing is, is im not a gamer, so i cant see where a 64Bit Phone would help me out in real life activities . . . . . . Yet !!!!! But come on people, its 64Bit and thats a HECK of a lot of power for a Phone. A true Mini Computer. AND ALL WITH 250HRS standby

Now i just hope they are heading this way with the iPad Mini and ill be first in line. Actually, im going to be hitting Refresh or take a trip to the big smoke when they release the Retina 64Bit M7 (sounds very British Spy stuff) finger scanner 11MP twin Flash camera iPad Mini because thats what im getting With free iLife and iWork so ill hold off on that purchase lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
Note the slight difference between UK and US prices again.

Pity, as the 5c doesn't look too bad.

I suppose the 5s isn't bad if you can afford it
If i wanted to get rid of my 6mth old iPhone 5 and replace it, it would set me back $999 AUD, so unless i can sell my 6mth old iPhone 5 for $600+ it aint going to happen.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree. If I need a larger screen, I can just continue to use my iPad 3. I now have to see how much T-Mobile is going to charge for the 5S and if they too will initiate a trade in program.
My contract on my 4S is due up in a month or so. I'm planning to unlock it, then see how my coverage is here. If it's good enough, especially at home, we're switching. I won't be upgrading if I do though... I'm fine with my 4S and would like to get at least 3 years out of it, but it'd make no sense to bother if I can't switch since I can sell it for what it'd cost to upgrade and my rates don't change off contract.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Confirms September 10th iPhone Event | Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics. »