New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

2013 iMac Refresh?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pibolar

pibolar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6

Hey guys

Anyone heard anything yet about a possible refresh of the 2012 slim iMac for 2013? with better specs etc etc? you guys know the usual apple drill

Wanting to buy a new iMac at the end of the month (pay day) but i always seem to buy one JUST before they update the specs lol
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

danny842003 is an unknown at this point

Wait until Tuesday and find out for sure I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Mac Rumors site: Know when to buy your next Mac
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny842003 View Post
Wait until Tuesday and find out for sure I guess.
Yeh i guess BUT i swear they dont normally really touch on spec refreshing, only really push it if its a redesign fingers crossed anyways
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The "smart" money has Tuesday's Apple event being primarily about new iPhones. Even most of the rumor articles circulating at the moment do not predict any announcements regarding new iMac models.

But you never know with Apple. Sometimes they VERY quietly slip in a mention of new computer models at these events...or make no mention at all at the event...and new models just "appear" at the Apple Store!

No doubt...new iMac models are due soon...but when is anyone's guess.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

yeh lol it'll be about a week after i spend 3000 on a new one hahaha
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibolar View Post
yeh lol it'll be about a week after i spend 3000 on a new one hahaha
We of course see lots & lots & lots of threads from folks looking to purchase a new computer. And of course no one wants to purchase a new computer (big bucks)...then just days or weeks later Apple releases new models. Which sometimes may be more powerful, have brand new features, AND cost less than the computer they just purchased!

So of course we would LOVE to be able to say/know when Apple is going to release new models...but Apple has ALWAYS been VERY tight-lipped when it comes to these announcements.

The some ways to avoid "buyer's remorse" in this sort of situation is:

- Purchase a refurbished computer from the Apple Store. Since at least in this case...the buyer saves a few hundred $$$/ on the purchase vs. new.
- Purchase a used Macintosh computer better than they already have (and save some good money).
- "Sit" on the cash until new models are actually released...and available (since new models may not always be available in all countries immediately after a new model announcement).

Of course sometimes everyone cannot wait weeks or months for new models to come out...then you just got to "roll the dice"!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Do not think a new iMac on the horizon. The current model was announced late 2012 and only became available early this year. Normally iMac models seem to run for about 18 months or so,

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Unless they put the DVD drive back I am unlikely ever to buy another iMac (nor another MacMini - although the lack of proper graphics card rules those out anyway).

Not very likely of course
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
Unless they put the DVD drive back I am unlikely ever to buy another iMac (nor another MacMini - although the lack of proper graphics card rules those out anyway).

Not very likely of course
A lack of DVD drive put me off buying a retina so i got a normal macbook pro. And i have since used the dvd drive maybe twice in a year. Wish i had just got the retina now.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny842003 View Post
A lack of DVD drive put me off buying a retina so i got a normal macbook pro. And i have since used the dvd drive maybe twice in a year. Wish i had just got the retina now.
The retina isn't user upgradeable and you got a better spec'd machine (aside from the display). I wouldn't be too dismayed since you probably got the better machine.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

+1. Fully agree; in my opinion you purchased the better machine. Maybe my eyes are old but I really see no special difference between the retina display and the standard one used by Apple. At least not enough to warrant the higher price and a machine that is not upgradeable.
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The retina isn't user upgradeable and you got a better spec'd machine (aside from the display). I wouldn't be too dismayed since you probably got the better machine.
You are probably correct. But I still do like that display when i see it. Not that this display is exactly bad mind.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

True, there is little doubt that the retina has a better display (this is, after all, the selling point). I'm going to guess though that, like chscag suggested, the display is not going to be tremendously better unless you have a discerning eye. To each their own though (the joys of choice).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The day of the DVD optical drive is behind us with thumb drives cheaper, faster and hold much more. Same thing happened when the original iMac did away with the floppy.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HBO GO, WatchESPN, Sky News, Crunchyroll, and Qello Come to Apple TV | Apple Confirms September 10th iPhone Event »