Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,248
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share

  2. #2

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    First, FOX new is garbage.
    Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
    Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,248
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    First, FOX new is garbage.
    That's your opinion. They at least present the news in an unbiased fashion not like other news agencies which seem to lean one way only.... But I'm not going to discuss politics or which news organization is best.

    Also, if you check closely the article comes from the Wall Street Journal.

    And whether or not the Android is better doesn't matter. They're currently outselling the iPhone which I think is a good thing. Having competing products is always best for the consumer because it offers choices.

  4. #4

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I read the link in its entirety and saw that it was basically a rehash of this WSJ article. I mentioned FOX because out of all the reporting organizations that are more competent in talking about this, the one article cited was from FOX NEWS...the organization that concealed the truth of a nationwide report warning of cancer linked to Monsanto and rBGH in milk. Talk about unbiased.
    Is that statement "FOX news is garbage," an opinion? Sure it is. Is it false? To say yes would be your opinion. PBS has had some rough patches, but if unbiased, and credible is what you want, they are on top.

    Doesn't matter though. That's why I didn't dwell on it in my last comment.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  5. #5

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,899
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    This might shock a few coming from me, but I hope Apple gets a good spanking for what they have been doing recently with everything. Yes everything. And yes I said it.

    And now a Biometrics folder in the latest Beta of IOS to support a fingerprint scanner. The NSA will love that one!

  6. #6

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Get a phone that meets your wants and needs so far the iPhone 5 has done that for me and others some of my friends find Android and Windows phones work well for them but through competition we each get better products with each new release.
    I only get bored and need a change with a piece of electronics if I have to work on it constantly.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2012
    Posts
    89
    As stated this statistic is a bit pointless. I would be more interested and think and statistic about iPhone# and S# more relevant.
    This compares items that are not even meant to be in the same category.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Oct 17, 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    53
    Specs:
    2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    First, FOX new is garbage.
    Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
    Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.
    I can attest with the "CRAP" of android phones- I went to an HTC EVO LTE last year( June) from a Samsung- I am on my 6th replacement. I have to wait till end of Feb to upgrade( or pay early term and lose my phone #- would have paid the 200. to get out but lose my #?, i'll wait) I was not a believer in Apple till this last Fall- I am now- Quality of product and I can go to my local apple store and get most things fixed there. Byby android and PC

  9. #9

    CPulsar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 07, 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    61
    Specs:
    27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
    I had a Droid X2 about two years ago and worked good. My only complaint about it was the battery life was terrible as it seemed to sit more on the charger rather then in my pocket.

  10. #10

    cptkrf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2009
    Location
    The same as Sheldon Cooper - East Texas
    Posts
    453
    Specs:
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
    Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.

  11. #11

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'm going to agree with iggibar on this one. As it is right now, the iPhone (more iOS than anything to be fair) is uninspired and where truly innovative ideas cease to blossom. Apple, as much as I love their hardware and non-iOS software (OS X is, in my opinion, the most elegant consumer OS), seems unable to make me excited about the idea of owning an iOS device. I'm an admitted Android fan but I'd much rather own a Windows Phone device than an iPhone at this point. And having seen what iOS will likely bring, I'm not sure the coat of paint is going to generate the much needed excitement.

    True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure. I'm excited to use my Nexus 4 and it makes it a much more pleasurable experience. I told myself last night, while using my iPod Touch with iOS 7 (ah the joys of being a registered developer...), "oh god I hate you iOS." Being this frustrated with a once innovative platform makes the experience lacklustre in character. Both my Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5 can do the same thing (utility) but the N4 is so much more enjoyable to use that it's obvious to anyone who sees me with both devices. There's something to be said for that. And really, at the end of the day, if I can combine utility with excitement, why not?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  12. #12

    RONE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2007
    Location
    Merriam, KS
    Posts
    797
    Specs:
    15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure.
    According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.

  13. #13

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,449
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.

    Anyhow, I'd go back to my RAZR v3c if I didn't detest lugging around both a PDA and phone all the time.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  14. #14

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.
    True, the iPhone is a perfect example of this. Android phones had significantly better and more varied specs when the iPhone 5 was released for a fraction of the price (the N4 is a perfect example of this). When the phones are similarly priced, the phones aren't spec comparable. That's not to say that the iPhone is a poor performer however.

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.
    How dare anyone make fun of my Nexus 4!
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  15. #15

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
    Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.
    Yes, that's it. I'm missing out on a whole lot of life itself because I claimed the iPhone is boring. How you manage to deduce such a thing as my existence revolving around a cellphone, boggles my mind.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 5 faces U.S. market share challenges, says analyst
    By Scoobie Newbie in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  2. Apple seen doubling or even tripling market share of iPhone & Mac
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
  3. iPhone 5 Could Double Apple's Mobile Market Share [STUDY]
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
  4. Steve Jobs grossly exaggerated Android tablet app market size
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •