New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

First, FOX new is garbage.
Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
That's your opinion. They at least present the news in an unbiased fashion not like other news agencies which seem to lean one way only.... But I'm not going to discuss politics or which news organization is best.

Also, if you check closely the article comes from the Wall Street Journal.

And whether or not the Android is better doesn't matter. They're currently outselling the iPhone which I think is a good thing. Having competing products is always best for the consumer because it offers choices.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

I read the link in its entirety and saw that it was basically a rehash of this WSJ article. I mentioned FOX because out of all the reporting organizations that are more competent in talking about this, the one article cited was from FOX NEWS...the organization that concealed the truth of a nationwide report warning of cancer linked to Monsanto and rBGH in milk. Talk about unbiased.
Is that statement "FOX news is garbage," an opinion? Sure it is. Is it false? To say yes would be your opinion. PBS has had some rough patches, but if unbiased, and credible is what you want, they are on top.

Doesn't matter though. That's why I didn't dwell on it in my last comment.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This might shock a few coming from me, but I hope Apple gets a good spanking for what they have been doing recently with everything. Yes everything. And yes I said it.

And now a Biometrics folder in the latest Beta of IOS to support a fingerprint scanner. The NSA will love that one!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Get a phone that meets your wants and needs so far the iPhone 5 has done that for me and others some of my friends find Android and Windows phones work well for them but through competition we each get better products with each new release.
I only get bored and need a change with a piece of electronics if I have to work on it constantly.
QUOTE Thanks
danny842003

danny842003 is an unknown at this point

As stated this statistic is a bit pointless. I would be more interested and think and statistic about iPhone# and S# more relevant.
This compares items that are not even meant to be in the same category.
QUOTE Thanks
dwhygienist

dwhygienist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.
I can attest with the "CRAP" of android phones- I went to an HTC EVO LTE last year( June) from a Samsung- I am on my 6th replacement. I have to wait till end of Feb to upgrade( or pay early term and lose my phone #- would have paid the 200. to get out but lose my #?, i'll wait) I was not a believer in Apple till this last Fall- I am now- Quality of product and I can go to my local apple store and get most things fixed there. Byby android and PC
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

I had a Droid X2 about two years ago and worked good. My only complaint about it was the battery life was terrible as it seemed to sit more on the charger rather then in my pocket.

QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm going to agree with iggibar on this one. As it is right now, the iPhone (more iOS than anything to be fair) is uninspired and where truly innovative ideas cease to blossom. Apple, as much as I love their hardware and non-iOS software (OS X is, in my opinion, the most elegant consumer OS), seems unable to make me excited about the idea of owning an iOS device. I'm an admitted Android fan but I'd much rather own a Windows Phone device than an iPhone at this point. And having seen what iOS will likely bring, I'm not sure the coat of paint is going to generate the much needed excitement.

True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure. I'm excited to use my Nexus 4 and it makes it a much more pleasurable experience. I told myself last night, while using my iPod Touch with iOS 7 (ah the joys of being a registered developer...), "oh god I hate you iOS." Being this frustrated with a once innovative platform makes the experience lacklustre in character. Both my Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5 can do the same thing (utility) but the N4 is so much more enjoyable to use that it's obvious to anyone who sees me with both devices. There's something to be said for that. And really, at the end of the day, if I can combine utility with excitement, why not?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure.
According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.

Anyhow, I'd go back to my RAZR v3c if I didn't detest lugging around both a PDA and phone all the time.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.
True, the iPhone is a perfect example of this. Android phones had significantly better and more varied specs when the iPhone 5 was released for a fraction of the price (the N4 is a perfect example of this). When the phones are similarly priced, the phones aren't spec comparable. That's not to say that the iPhone is a poor performer however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.
How dare anyone make fun of my Nexus 4!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.
Yes, that's it. I'm missing out on a whole lot of life itself because I claimed the iPhone is boring. How you manage to deduce such a thing as my existence revolving around a cellphone, boggles my mind.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung trade-ins soar during iPhone 5S/5C launch | iPhone 5S Touch ID hacked by fake fingerprints !!!!! »