New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

righturn

righturn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)

For those too young to remember the Beta VCRs which were so much better, than the VHS versions.
Sony would not sell the rights to others, well a few, to produce the Beta VCRs, they thought that the best would win our and as we know NOT. The sheer number of VHS players simply out sold, and out numbered and over whelemed the Beta versions so the Beta VCR was dropped. Funny the Beta Cam for commercial use live a long and happy life. Maybe the same will be for the Apple I phone, unless it is truly a must have for a lot of good reasons.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Ahh yes the Sanyo Beta VCR was a great unit. In early days of VCRs, beta had more tapes available for renting than VHS but Sony soon crippled that.

Of more concern as s shareholder is the reported 5% drop in the share price in US.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I find it interesting when someone says the iPhone is "boring." When questioned, what they generally actually mean is that it is so reliable and functional that they take it for granted.

Heaven forfend a company provide us with THAT!

As for Apple's status, I'll just make a couple of points:

1. In fact, the North American marketshare for the iPhone is GROWING, not shrinking. Has been for quite some time actually. Typical example: New reports confirm US share for iOS growing, Android dropping | Electronista

2. Too many media outlets, pundits and people who ought to know better confuse "shipments" of smartphones with "sales" of smartphones. These are very different things: during the Apple-Samsung trial in California, the Galaxy maker was forced to submit documents that showed that, at MOST, Samsung actually sold to end-users about HALF what they claimed they shipped to the US:

How many smartphones did Samsung ship in Q2? | asymco

This is not to say that Android isn't dominant in many markets: it is. It's just to say that looking at Apple's profits versus Samsung's in the smartphone sector, Apple seems to be doing just fine -- and looking at real-world, end-user indicators of popularity versus "shipment" reports paints a WAAAAAY different picture.

3. To be as diplomatic as possible, claiming that Fox News is "unbiased" is just plain ridiculous. There is plenty of factual, independent evidence that disproves this, entirely separate of where I or anyone fall on the political spectrum. Snake oil knows no party, nationality or faith -- only where the suckers are (as someone once said).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Think the 5S is a worthy upgrade from my old 3GS - which I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it after 4 years now. I'm def ready for something better than 3G speeds.

It would be nice if google would come out with news of the next version of the Nexus 4 prior to the 5S shipping. It might give me pause prior to buying another iPhone.
While I like my Nexus 7, am not ready to jump ship from iOS to Android on my phone.
Google announces a 4 that meets the specs of the new 7, that might push me over the edge.

But, as my power button is semi-sunken into the device and the fact that the volume rocker broke off a couple of weeks ago (don't ask, don't have a clue - one day it was there, the next, not there) below the outside edge of the phone requiring using a fingernail inside the slot to use it - think I'm due.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Think the 5S is a worthy upgrade from my old 3GS - which I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it after 4 years now. I'm def ready for something better than 3G speeds.

It would be nice if google would come out with news of the next version of the Nexus 4 prior to the 5S shipping. It might give me pause prior to buying another iPhone.
While I like my Nexus 7, am not ready to jump ship from iOS to Android on my phone.
Google announces a 4 that meets the specs of the new 7, that might push me over the edge.

But, as my power button is semi-sunken into the device and the fact that the volume rocker broke off a couple of weeks ago (don't ask, don't have a clue - one day it was there, the next, not there) below the outside edge of the phone requiring using a fingernail inside the slot to use it - think I'm due.
If you remotely liked your 3Gs then yes you will love the 5/5s I have had all but the first and 4s and can say that up until the 5 I liked them but absolutely love my 5 and if my contract was up its a no brainer for me the 5s especially for the improved camera functions.
I have a nice Nikon rig that no doubt will take better pictures than any phone but as they say if you don't have it with you its a good shot missed I always have the phone on me.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I find it interesting when someone says the iPhone is "boring." When questioned, what they generally actually mean is that it is so reliable and functional that they take it for granted.
It could also very well mean that the platform is so stagnant that you think you're stuck in 2007. It could also mean that people (such as myself) derive very little pleasure from using an iPhone relative to any other device on the market. It could mean that the design is so uninspired and, now, a photocopy of other platforms (I'm convinced Ive started the first iOS 7 meeting with "so, what are other people doing and how do we adapt this for iOS 7?") that it makes you wonder why people such as myself should be interested in such a device.

I think it's safe to say that equating a bored response to the iPhone with perceptions of reliability is much too reductive (especially since most mobile platforms are just as reliable and functional).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Having actually been with the platform since 2007, I can assure you and other users that there have been many, many changes (some QUITE fundamental) to the platform on a routine basis. Heck, remember when copy/paste came in??

The fact that Apple hasn't changed the icon shapes or looks every year along the TREMENDOUS under-the-hood stuff they've done only makes things "boring" to the very, very shallow among us. It would be interesting to compare exactly what HAS changed in iOS each and every year since 2007 and compare that to Android with each major revision -- *minus* the constantly-changing "skins" and craplets the carriers stick on it -- and see which has changed the most, which has the most "change for change's sake, and which has the most reliable record of genuine improvement.

That would make an interesting article I'd enjoy reading, regardless of the findings. Someone at Ars Technica could do a bang-up job on that.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have been with IOS since maybe 2 months after the iPhone 3G came out. Friend bought it and hated it and ditched it for a old Windows ce phone. I laughed all the way home with my new iPhone 3G!

I also own a 1st Generation iPod Touch. I was amazed when that first came out.
QUOTE Thanks
arthur30

arthur30 is on a distinguished road

Yes Android market is huge butI still think Android needs to work on several things to make it more secure and better for the users. Android is not as secure as iOS it should not allow low grade companies to use the OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung trade-ins soar during iPhone 5S/5C launch | iPhone 5S Touch ID hacked by fake fingerprints !!!!! »