New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Angry Apple makes hollow threat to bar Kindle, other ebook apps...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
TattooedMac

 
TattooedMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 19, 2009
Location: Waiting for a mate . . .
Posts: 7,759
TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

TattooedMac is offline
This is well worth the read . . . .

Angry Apple makes hollow threat to bar Kindle, other ebook apps.


Quote:
xAt the time, then-CEO Steve Jobs put it plainly: “Our philosophy is simple – when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share,” he said in a February 2011 statement. “When the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing.”

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

 
RONE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Location: Merriam, KS
Posts: 794
RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

RONE is offline
Very interesting article. Personally, I side with Apple on this.

Quote:
Apple is under no duty to allow other retailers to offer apps on the iPad in the first place, much less on terms that subsidise their operations
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,907
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
I'm completely against them on it. Why do they demand a royalty for ebooks and not other goods? Why should they be entitled to a 30% cut? They aren't hosting the content. They aren't processing the payment. And with their collusion with the publishers to switch everyone to the "agency" model, in combination with their "most favored nation" clause, demanding 30% of someone else's sales would mean zero profit margin for the others. Their "philosophy" is overly simplistic and quite frankly abusive. If they really want to kick Kindle and other ereader apps off, that would be a very hostile move and unfriendly to their customers, many who bought an iPad so they can enjoy content from a variety of sources.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bumbleboo

 
bumbleboo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 25, 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 22
bumbleboo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook OS X5.1 and iMac G5 OS 10.4

bumbleboo is offline
Instead of being faced by bully boy tactics I bought a Nexus Android with a Kindle App, no problem! However Google could start getting heavy handed with Amazon!!!! I think all these companies are getting too big for their boots, remember what happened to Ma Bell ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 25,017
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Agree with lifeisabeach. Such a decision would only serve to cement my decision to stay with a Kindle or Android tablet. It would push me toward an Android phone in lieu of iOS and possibly back to Windows (or give Linux another go) with my next computer purchase.

If Microsoft had hatched a plan with the introduction of Win 3.1 or Win95 that afforded them a 30% cut of everything that could be sold to work and run in Windows, MS would not exist today.

This feeling that they deserve a 30% cut of everyone else's work because they created the operating system is, as far as I am concerned, the height of greed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

 
RONE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Location: Merriam, KS
Posts: 794
RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

RONE is offline
So much for letting the market decide what it will bear. Why does everyone feel the government needs to regulate the private sector economy? What happened to a free market?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,613
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
As I am heavily invested in Amazon media (mostly Kindle eBooks) any move to prevent me accessing it on my iPad would cause me to exercise my free-market choice to switch to another platform.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,374
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
remember what happened to Ma Bell ?
LOL, they're alive and well.... Ever hear of AT&T? The new but old AT&T!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

 
MacInWin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 07, 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 2,272
MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

MacInWin is offline
No, AT&T is not Ma Bell. Ma Bell took care of everything from the user's hand to the user's hand on the other end...house wiring, local service, long distance, etc, etc. AT&T of today isn't that end-to-end.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,815
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
Why does everyone feel the government needs to regulate the private sector economy?
This alone is a good reason. Beyond that, if the government didn't regulate the economy, low paying jobs would see salaries plummet since there would be no reason to pay workers at a minimum rate (lacking skills, many of these people wouldn't be marketable).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
What happened to a free market?
Never left. The economy has never been free from regulation.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,374
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
AT&T of today isn't that end-to-end.
Yeah, I know, but the way AT&T customer service acts sometimes reminds of the old AT&T....
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,907
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
So much for letting the market decide what it will bear. Why does everyone feel the government needs to regulate the private sector economy? What happened to a free market?
LOL! How naive. Have you missed the fact that Apple colluded with publishers to fix prices and harm the competition by denying them the opportunity to compete on price? Left unchecked, the "haves" will abuse the "free" market. Here's a great example in the news right now:
McDonalds’ suggested budget for employees shows just how impossible it is to get by on minimum wage | Death and Taxes

In the "free" market, there'd be no minimum wage. And I GUARANTEE YOU low income workers would be making even less. Look at that comedy of a "budget" McDonalds has laid out for their workers. There is no way to make ends meet. None. Which means government assistance is required for these people to survive. How do you like the notion that your goods and services are subsidized by your tax dollars because the workers bringing them can't survive on what they make? It'd be even worse if they made $3/hour in the "free" market.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,589
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
AT&T What? Customer service? hahahahahaha. Are you kidding! Many times now I had to do their troubleshooting for them!

My issue with going back to windows is and I don't care what anyone says, Windows 8 is not a good desktop OS. But 8.1 has a Start menu! Does it? I have 8.1. It brings up Metro. That is not the Start menu. People are mad.

I need adobe. The Gimp for me is not even close so Linux is out for my overall use. I could use it for the internet though.

Apple is getting greedy for sure and going a different way lately than they should have gone. Not sure what to do if this continues which have a feeling it will.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

 
RONE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 02, 2007
Location: Merriam, KS
Posts: 794
RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

RONE is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This alone is a good reason. Beyond that, if the government didn't regulate the economy, low paying jobs would see salaries plummet since there would be no reason to pay workers at a minimum rate (lacking skills, many of these people wouldn't be marketable).
I would say that The Great Recession actually supports my argument, not yours. The government has been heavily regulating things since long before this most recent recession, yet it still happened. So, how's that regulation going for us? Really well, by the looks of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
LOL! How naive. Have you missed the fact that Apple colluded with publishers to fix prices and harm the competition by denying them the opportunity to compete on price? Left unchecked, the "haves" will abuse the "free" market. Here's a great example in the news right now:
McDonalds’ suggested budget for employees shows just how impossible it is to get by on minimum wage | Death and Taxes

In the "free" market, there'd be no minimum wage. And I GUARANTEE YOU low income workers would be making even less. Look at that comedy of a "budget" McDonalds has laid out for their workers. There is no way to make ends meet. None. Which means government assistance is required for these people to survive. How do you like the notion that your goods and services are subsidized by your tax dollars because the workers bringing them can't survive on what they make? It'd be even worse if they made $3/hour in the "free" market.
Yes, Apple colluded with publishers to raise eBook prices. But do you understand why they did it? It was because Amazon was selling books at a loss to stifle competition. So don't go saying that Apple was harming competition! I would say without a second thought that there is more competition in the eBook industry now than there was 4 years ago.

I wholeheartedly agree that a truly free market wouldn't work in today's society. My wife and I just had a long discussion on that exact thing about a month ago, and I was using all the same argument points you currently are (yes, I was arguing against an unregulated economy). I'm well aware of the need for some restrictions on businesses, and some minimum requirements for employees; However, the more I see the government telling businesses how to run their businesses the more upset I get. "Some" restrictions is very different than mandating exactly how a business can practice, which is the point I was getting at.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,815
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I would say that The Great Recession actually supports my argument, not yours. The government has been heavily regulating things since long before this most recent recession, yet it still happened. So, how's that regulation going for us? Really well, by the looks of things.
I don't see how that's the case. How is the unchecked selling of untenable mortgages a product of over-regulation? The governments of the world didn't tell banks and financial institutions to sell bad rates (read that as "unmanageable") nor did the government tell these groups to take part in shady financial practices that ultimately hurts millions. Companies can find ways around things which would suggest the opposite of what you're saying which is the need for closer oversight. A perfect example of this - Canadian banks, during the peak of the financial crisis, received nothing in support because they've always been well regulated (source). In fact, they were still turning profits (albeit considerably smaller) during the peak of the global downturn.

Regulating the actions of groups that are heavily invested in the social good (as banks are) is never a bad thing. And let's not forget the flip side to your argument - the governments were regulating financial institutions when the economy was strong. True, they may have been able to make more but really, there's something to be said for consistency in financial markets and not "let's hope for the best" that comes with ruthless deregulation. You can also enjoy regulation while being free - Canada's economy is heavily regulated in comparison and it is, by some measures, freer (whatever this means) than the American economy (source).

A minor point - the credit rating of the government is wholly exclusive of their regulatory practices. One is about managing their own money (credit rating) and the other is about regulating the spending of other people's money (regulations). The former was significantly hurt by the inability of some groups to regulate their own practices and not an intrinsic fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that a truly free market wouldn't work in today's society. My wife and I just had a long discussion on that exact thing about a month ago, and I was using all the same argument points you currently are (yes, I was arguing against an unregulated economy). I'm well aware of the need for some restrictions on businesses, and some minimum requirements for employees;
Then you don't actually disagree with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
However, the more I see the government telling businesses how to run their businesses the more upset I get. "Some" restrictions is very different than mandating exactly how a business can practice, which is the point I was getting at.
Collective good over the individual(s) good. On top of that, all regulations restrict how businesses can engage in their various practices (that's what they're designed for).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Purported 'iPhone 5S' back panel hints at redesigned home button component | Apple expands USB charger trade-in program to 30 countries »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
[How To] Macintosh Keyboard Short Cuts hype.it Switcher Hangout 25 06-09-2009 09:53 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?