New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Introduction

One of the persistent questions around the forum has to do with a piece of software called MacKeeper. A cursory scan of the forum will paint in the minds of new members a confusing picture. On the one hand, many of our community membersargue against it, describing it as bad, harmful... Return to article to continue reading.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Read it and agree with 'should be avoided'.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Yeah, I still think its a very questionable app. Especially since there are free alternatives that are known to be solid choices (Onyx).

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Completely agree. Although I did not test it quite as thoroughly as Van did, what I did test does agree with his findings.

BTW, great write up Van!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Great writeup Van...very detailed!

I'm not so surprised to hear you say that MacKeeper wasn't really worth the money (with equally as good or better free programs out there).

I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.

Again...great writeup!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Allow me to point out a test I did on MacKeeper's "File Recovery" feature. In a nutshell... it sucks.
Is MacKeeper worth buying?

And some observations about its "encryption" module. What they do seems pretty comical. In fact, vansmith's observation that "MacKeeper also comes with encryption functionality which appears to do nothing that an encrypted disk image or FileVault can’t" is on the money. That functionality is in fact an encrypted disk image... exactly what Disk Utility makes. I'd wager that their module is little more than a script that runs the command line version of Disk Utility.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.
I think MacKeeper has improved in some aspects from a performance standpoint. Their AV module used to be a Windows program running under WINE. That alone had to be its biggest performance headache. Of course, who knows if what they use now is even working.

BTW, I concur. Great writeup!

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
That could certainly be it. I imagine part of it might have been due to the "freshness" of the machine - it was a clean install and it wasn't used outside of the MK tests. In some ways, I think this helps MK in terms of its performance but I can't be certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Allow me to point out a test I did on MacKeeper's "File Recovery" feature. In a nutshell... it sucks.
Yeah, I remember sitting there thinking, "why would I care about these random plists & xml files and not the files I just deleted?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
And some observations about its "encryption" module. What they do seems pretty comical. In fact, vansmith's observation that "MacKeeper also comes with encryption functionality which appears to do nothing that an encrypted disk image or FileVault can’t" is on the money. That functionality is in fact an encrypted disk image... exactly what Disk Utility makes. I'd wager that their module is little more than a script that runs the command line version of Disk Utility.
It's very possible that's what they're doing. There's something to be said for wrapping up complexity in a neat little package but not for $40.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This is easily one of the best evaluations I've ever seen of a controversial product. Very well done.

So, in short, while this piece of crap is fairly useless and expensive, at the very least, it has proven to no longer be damaging.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
So, in short, while this piece of crap is fairly useless and expensive, at the very least, it has proven to no longer be damaging.
That's a nice distilled version of the argument - it's expensive and redundant but it doesn't appear to suck as bad as it used to.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Thanks!
That's a nice distilled version of the argument - it's expensive and redundant but it doesn't appear to suck as bad as it used to.
I agree. I don't think I ever thought the software was downright malicious or the developers anything but well-intentioned (sleaziness of their marketing not withstanding). I just think they are lazy and even incompetent. Their file recovery feature alone is evidence of that.

What may be useful as a companion article to this one is a feature-by-feature comparison of MacKeeper's features to alternatives from other developers to see who does it best, complete with a cost breakdown.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That could certainly be a "round two." It's not hard to find functional complements - much of what MacKeeper does is done elsewhere (for free most of the time). I'll have to think about that.

EDIT: I added a short paragraph addressing the forum's position in relation to the app. I also fixed some grammar errors that disappointed me.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Great post van!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
EDIT: I added a short paragraph addressing the forum's position in relation to the app. I also fixed some grammar errors that disappointed me.
The problem with their marketing isn't their banner ads. It's that they have had numerous fake websites purporting to compare their product to the competition, then declare theirs the winner. It's the internet's version of infomercials. They have spammed these and other forums with fake inquiries about the software, followed by faked praise. At least, that's the take I had considering that the posters in question both had accounts created the same day with no other history here. Facebook doesn't do anything like that. In all fairness, I have read that they claim those things were all being done by their 3rd party affiliates, but ultimately it does come back to them and their decision to leave their reputation and fate in the hands of affiliate program partners. It does appear that they may have reigned in this sort of thing... I can't currently find any fake review sites.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The Facebook/Google juxtaposition wasn't to suggest that they were of a similar type but rather to suggest that certain groups seem to be subjected to the heavy hand of the "Mac users community" (broadly speaking) while other groups seem to elude it unscathed. My question of more of a "why them" and not others equitably?

The third party affiliates things in tricky in that blame is easily displaced. Who gets blamed with third party ads? Everyone, eventually. ZeoBIT certainly could do something to ease up on the number of ads though which is very much their responsibility.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12.9" iPad Pro | Sign up for the Mac-Forums Brief emails »