Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/301553-mac-forums-investigates-mackeeper.html)

vansmith 07-26-2013 03:56 PM

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper
 
Introduction

One of the persistent questions around the forum has to do with a piece of software called MacKeeper. A cursory scan of the forum will paint in the minds of new members a confusing picture. On the one hand, many of our community membersargue against it, describing it as bad, harmful... Return to article to continue reading.

harryb2448 07-26-2013 05:24 PM

Read it and agree with 'should be avoided'.

Stretch 07-26-2013 05:27 PM

Yeah, I still think its a very questionable app. Especially since there are free alternatives that are known to be solid choices (Onyx).

chscag 07-26-2013 07:50 PM

Completely agree. Although I did not test it quite as thoroughly as Van did, what I did test does agree with his findings.

BTW, great write up Van!

pigoo3 07-26-2013 10:03 PM

Great writeup Van...very detailed!:)

I'm not so surprised to hear you say that MacKeeper wasn't really worth the money (with equally as good or better free programs out there).

I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.

Again...great writeup!:)

- Nick

Lifeisabeach 07-27-2013 09:24 AM

Allow me to point out a test I did on MacKeeper's "File Recovery" feature. In a nutshell... it sucks.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ml#post1427243

And some observations about its "encryption" module. What they do seems pretty comical. In fact, vansmith's observation that "MacKeeper also comes with encryption functionality which appears to do nothing that an encrypted disk image or FileVault can’t" is on the money. That functionality is in fact an encrypted disk image... exactly what Disk Utility makes. I'd wager that their module is little more than a script that runs the command line version of Disk Utility.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ml#post1430512

Lifeisabeach 07-27-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1528572)
I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.

I think MacKeeper has improved in some aspects from a performance standpoint. Their AV module used to be a Windows program running under WINE. That alone had to be its biggest performance headache. Of course, who knows if what they use now is even working.

BTW, I concur. Great writeup!

vansmith 07-27-2013 10:33 AM

Thanks guys!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1528572)
I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.

That could certainly be it. I imagine part of it might have been due to the "freshness" of the machine - it was a clean install and it wasn't used outside of the MK tests. In some ways, I think this helps MK in terms of its performance but I can't be certain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1528615)
Allow me to point out a test I did on MacKeeper's "File Recovery" feature. In a nutshell... it sucks.

Yeah, I remember sitting there thinking, "why would I care about these random plists & xml files and not the files I just deleted?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1528615)
And some observations about its "encryption" module. What they do seems pretty comical. In fact, vansmith's observation that "MacKeeper also comes with encryption functionality which appears to do nothing that an encrypted disk image or FileVault canít" is on the money. That functionality is in fact an encrypted disk image... exactly what Disk Utility makes. I'd wager that their module is little more than a script that runs the command line version of Disk Utility.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ml#post1430512

It's very possible that's what they're doing. There's something to be said for wrapping up complexity in a neat little package but not for $40.

cwa107 07-27-2013 10:56 AM

This is easily one of the best evaluations I've ever seen of a controversial product. Very well done.

So, in short, while this piece of crap is fairly useless and expensive, at the very least, it has proven to no longer be damaging.

vansmith 07-27-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1528633)
So, in short, while this piece of crap is fairly useless and expensive, at the very least, it has proven to no longer be damaging.

That's a nice distilled version of the argument - it's expensive and redundant but it doesn't appear to suck as bad as it used to.

Lifeisabeach 07-27-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1528641)
Thanks!
That's a nice distilled version of the argument - it's expensive and redundant but it doesn't appear to suck as bad as it used to.

I agree. I don't think I ever thought the software was downright malicious or the developers anything but well-intentioned (sleaziness of their marketing not withstanding). I just think they are lazy and even incompetent. Their file recovery feature alone is evidence of that.

What may be useful as a companion article to this one is a feature-by-feature comparison of MacKeeper's features to alternatives from other developers to see who does it best, complete with a cost breakdown.

vansmith 07-27-2013 03:07 PM

That could certainly be a "round two." It's not hard to find functional complements - much of what MacKeeper does is done elsewhere (for free most of the time). I'll have to think about that.

EDIT: I added a short paragraph addressing the forum's position in relation to the app. I also fixed some grammar errors that disappointed me. ;)

harryb2448 07-27-2013 06:34 PM

Great post van!

Lifeisabeach 07-27-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1528665)
EDIT: I added a short paragraph addressing the forum's position in relation to the app. I also fixed some grammar errors that disappointed me. ;)

The problem with their marketing isn't their banner ads. It's that they have had numerous fake websites purporting to compare their product to the competition, then declare theirs the winner. It's the internet's version of infomercials. They have spammed these and other forums with fake inquiries about the software, followed by faked praise. At least, that's the take I had considering that the posters in question both had accounts created the same day with no other history here. Facebook doesn't do anything like that. In all fairness, I have read that they claim those things were all being done by their 3rd party affiliates, but ultimately it does come back to them and their decision to leave their reputation and fate in the hands of affiliate program partners. It does appear that they may have reigned in this sort of thing... I can't currently find any fake review sites.

vansmith 07-28-2013 12:07 PM

The Facebook/Google juxtaposition wasn't to suggest that they were of a similar type but rather to suggest that certain groups seem to be subjected to the heavy hand of the "Mac users community" (broadly speaking) while other groups seem to elude it unscathed. My question of more of a "why them" and not others equitably?

The third party affiliates things in tricky in that blame is easily displaced. Who gets blamed with third party ads? Everyone, eventually. ZeoBIT certainly could do something to ease up on the number of ads though which is very much their responsibility.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.