New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, that is why we recommend Onyx.

It has been recommended here since before I got my first Mac.
You can see that date to the left.
Have yet to see a single issue reported.

(Other than folks downloading the wrong version or Gatekeeper preventing it's installation.)

Oh, and get it direct from Titanium to make sure you get the correct version.

There are a very few paid apps also recommended such as Cocktail.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-05-2014 at 07:48 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelayres

michaelayres is on a distinguished road

I could hardly add anything worth much to the expert discussions. But, I tried MacKeeper, took it off, put it back, and finally divorced it in full, basically for one reason, you cannot turn it off and on, once installed, it always runs "because it has to talk with the mother ship." But, that doesn't work for me; I don't want any software beyond the OS I install on my machine that I can't stop or start as I wish.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Don't call it software Michael. It is crapware!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelayres View Post
I could hardly add anything worth much to the expert discussions. But, I tried MacKeeper, took it off, put it back, and finally divorced it in full, basically for one reason, you cannot turn it off and on, once installed, it always runs "because it has to talk with the mother ship." But, that doesn't work for me; I don't want any software beyond the OS I install on my machine that I can't stop or start as I wish.
Good for you Michael. I recently called on a friend who was having a few problems with her 2009 MBP, after a little housekeeping I noted the dreaded icon on the tool bar and asked her how long she had been using MacKeeper. She didn't know what it was what it did or where it had come from! It seems her son may have installed it for her. I removed it and since doing that she reports her MBP seems to be running a lot faster on startup (she does only have 2gb RAM). As far as I can see the only good thing MacKeeper does is uninstall itself.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
ankhseeker

ankhseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: A1286 MBP5 running 10.9.5,3 iphone4, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb

On a positive note:

At least they gave me my money back!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's good news.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
DaSvenska

DaSvenska is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, iPhone 5, iPad 3

After reading and absorbing this discussion, I assume other TPSoftware may be bad as well. I have seen other reviews on some that I was using and since I enjoy my MBP Retina so much, I elected to take them off and let Mavericks take care of my 512SSD. That said, since I removed several of them, and I won't name them here, would it be wise for me to reinstall the OS of Mountain Lion and do the upgrades of Mavericks, etc... I have not experienced any issues with my MBP and it runs fine, I guess I could wait on the release of Yosemite and go from there. Any advice from you with much more OSX time than me, will no doubt be appreciated.

--The Swede--
QUOTE Thanks
filipeduardovic

filipeduardovic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac vintage 2007 with SSD, MacbookPro 17", both "Mavericked" for the moment, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 4

Perplexed by the "habit" of both my Macs (MacbookPro 17", iMac vintage 2007 with SSD) to revert to an English keyboard, when I wanted primarily an Italian one (plus several other languages that I use) some forum-ites hypothesized that MacKeeper could be the mischievous factor. I uninstalled it in both machines and my problem, while not totally solved, became less acute than in the Mackeeper era. I then got up the courage to try Clean-my-Mac and so far it has treated me well. I'd keep an AppZapper handy, however, since "Clean..." doesn't give me very precise information about what they will do when I request a zap.
QUOTE Thanks
Luther Mac

Luther Mac is on a distinguished road

The shady way in which MacKeeper operates (popups and hidden downloads on fake buttons of websites) should be enough to tell anyone to stay the hell away from this product.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Mac View Post
The shady way in which MacKeeper operates (popups and hidden downloads on fake buttons of websites) should be enough to tell anyone to stay the hell away from this product.
Curious Luther Mac, how did you find out about the 'pop ups & fake bottons'? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Luther Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Curious Luther Mac, how did you find out about the 'pop ups & fake bottons'? Dave
I use Dirpy to download my music.

I use First Row to watch sports.

I use Movies8k to watch movies.

All have nasty popup windows and hidden buttons. And MacKeeper is all over them. I was using Dirpy last week and ended up with some advertising/pop up extension being installed into my Chrome browser. Was a mess til I figured out how to remove it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
I use Dirpy to download my music.

I use First Row to watch sports.

I use Movies8k to watch movies.

All have nasty popup windows and hidden buttons. And MacKeeper is all over them. I was using Dirpy last week and ended up with some advertising/pop up extension being installed into my Chrome browser. Was a mess til I figured out how to remove it.

Well there's your problem. You are using services that specialize in retransmitting copyrighted material (i.e. piracy). These places are havens for malware.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Luther Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
Well there's your problem. You are using services that specialize in retransmitting copyrighted material (i.e. piracy). These places are havens for malware.
Which was the point of my post....

MacKeeper = Malware

Or at the very least, operates in the same manner. Which should tell anyone to avoid it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Which was the point of my post....

MacKeeper = Malware

Or at the very least, operates in the same manner. Which should tell anyone to avoid it.
No, MacKeeper is not malware. It's a badly coded piece of poo with a very aggressive marketing campaign, but it is not the root of your adware issues. Your issues are rooted in your failure to adhere to "safe" practices on the internet.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Luther Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
It's a badly coded piece of poo with a very aggressive marketing campaign,
Sounds like u just described malware to a T.

Quote:
but it is not the root of your adware issues. Your issues are rooted in your failure to adhere to "safe" practices on the internet.
Ya. It's my fault that there is a "badly coded piece of poo that has very aggressive marketing".

My internet practices would be plenty safe if not for this schitty companies and their crap products and the BS way they market them. Anyone that creates a pop up window that cant be closed without also downloading their product deserves the firing squad.

2012 Mac Mini ... 2014 MBP3 13" retina ... 2014 MBA 13" ... 2012 iPad3 ... 2013 ATC5 ... 2012 AX3 ... 2013 ATV3 ... iPhone 5S ... LG Nexus 4 Android ... HTC Nexus 1 Android
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Watch | 27" Retina iMac »