New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Welcome to the Mac Forums. And it looks like Father knows best!
Just was going through the last posts in this thread and my very thoughts!

I was just going to post the pic below w/o comment - Dave

QUOTE Thanks
Cindy 121

Cindy 121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac late 2006 10.6.8 & iMac 2.7 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.2

I'm new to Macs, having bought in 2011.
That's also when I started reading Mac-Forums.

My trust in this forum is lessened by the continual presence of MacKeeper ads.
The 'review', while well done, was unconvincing and did little to restore my trust in this forum.
I accepted MacKeeper because of its proximity to this trusted forum.
I now routinely avoid sites with these ads, which is why I am posting so tardily here.
I will not be so trusting here again.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Sorry about your decision Cindy, however, as has been pointed out in the past we have no control over what advertisements appear on this web site. Certainly if we approved of MacKeeper, we would not have gone through the trouble of putting it to the tests that we did. The blog clearly points all of that out.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well Cindy, if you have been reading these forums since 2011, then you would know, even though there is a Blog on MK, that the majority of the Members here warn everyone to STAY AWAY from it.
Its a real shame that you can judge a whole community, on a single blog post, and one that was very fair and reasonable.
We need to keep the forums going, and although we are all volunteers, including the staff and Admin here, it needs some sort of income, and unfortunately this comes from Advertising. If people want to pay for space they get it. Who are we to judge about who can and can't.
If you have been reading the forums since 2011, you would know that MK is piece of crap, and you need to put the onus on yourself, and do a little background work, before you blame others.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
If you have been reading the forums since 2011, you would know that MK is piece of crap, and you need to put the onus on yourself, and do a little background work, before you blame others.
Couldn't agree more.
QUOTE Thanks
benrymnd

benrymnd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac,intel core i3,processor speed 3.06ghz,processors 1,cores 2,L2 cache per core 256kb,L3 cache 4mb

Be very aware of this software I had it installed and used it for about a month then I saw for the first time a heading called left overs(I think)any way went into this and it seemed like it was bits and pieces from uninstalled software asked if I wanted to remove them clicked yes,oh what a fool I was, after shut down later in the day my mac would not re-start to cut short apple took my mac away and informed me that a new hd was needed as they couldn't get it to re-start/boot up.I was very lucky as I still had 2 weeks left on my apple care.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrymnd View Post
Be very aware of this software I had it installed and used it for about a month then I saw for the first time a heading called left overs(I think)any way went into this and it seemed like it was bits and pieces from uninstalled software asked if I wanted to remove them clicked yes,oh what a fool I was, after shut down later in the day my mac would not re-start to cut short apple took my mac away and informed me that a new hd was needed as they couldn't get it to re-start/boot up.I was very lucky as I still had 2 weeks left on my apple care.
As much as I loathe MacKeeper, chances are this was pure coincidence. Generally speaking, software issues do not cause hardware problems. If your hard drive truly was faulty, it would have failed to boot regardless of whether MacKeeper was installed or not.

Though I agree with your overall sentiment - MacKeeper is rubbish.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kashasart

kashasart is on a distinguished road

what do u all think of Clean my Mac 2?
would love to see article clearly comparing programs that do provide same services
--with short explanation of what the action does for my mac---& where to get it
that article was well written, fair, & informative on many levels. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashasart View Post
what do u all think of Clean my Mac 2?
would love to see article clearly comparing programs that do provide same services
--with short explanation of what the action does for my mac---& where to get it
that article was well written, fair, & informative on many levels. thanks
It's another largely unnecessary program, marketed in an unscrupulous manner and which essentially performs the same tasks that are better done with freeware programs like Onyx.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Onyx available here:

Titanium's Software • Index page

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Cindy 121

Cindy 121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac late 2006 10.6.8 & iMac 2.7 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.2

You are quite right, TattooedMac. I was just pissed off at myself for not doing my homework BEFORE I installed MacKeeper. It's not this Forum's fault, and I apologize. Sometimes I feel like I have a bit of Microsoft software in my head. No excuse.
This Forum is too important, and too much fun, for me to stay away.
Your indulgence is asked for. My hissy-fit is over. C.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy 121 View Post
You are quite right, TattooedMac. I was just pissed off at myself for not doing my homework BEFORE I installed MacKeeper. It's not this Forum's fault, and I apologize. Sometimes I feel like I have a bit of Microsoft software in my head. No excuse.
This Forum is too important, and too much fun, for me to stay away.
Your indulgence is asked for. My hissy-fit is over. C.
Ahh ok. Understood and thanks for explaining. I was a little harsh, but i'm a little protective of my 3rd home, and people putting blame where its un-warranted.
Glad Miss HissyFit is ova

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Cyndy-in-VT

Cyndy-in-VT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 iMac8, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hardrive

I have a 2008 refurbished 24" iMac. It has been a jewel of a machine, software problems excluded. The only time it has been taken to the apple repair guys was due to software conflicts and other problems created by my ignorant installation of MacKeeper (2012).
A knowledgeable repairman went through our mac and thoroughly cleaned it of all traces of MacKeeper, then made sure all of the updates were installed properly. It has worked very well since then. Now I research THOROUGHLY any new software I'm interested in buying, then research it some more before finally deciding. In my humble opinion, less is more.
If you don't need it A LOT, don't buy it and don't risk creating problems. Dealing with OS updates is difficult enough.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndy-in-VT View Post
I have a 2008 refurbished 24" iMac. It has been a jewel of a machine, software problems excluded. The only time it has been taken to the apple repair guys was due to software conflicts and other problems created by my ignorant installation of MacKeeper (2012).
A knowledgeable repairman went through our mac and thoroughly cleaned it of all traces of MacKeeper, then made sure all of the updates were installed properly. It has worked very well since then. Now I research THOROUGHLY any new software I'm interested in buying, then research it some more before finally deciding. In my humble opinion, less is more.
If you don't need it A LOT, don't buy it and don't risk creating problems. Dealing with OS updates is difficult enough.
Cyndy, I agree 100%. Less is definitely more when it comes to 3rd party applications.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Robtowmac

Robtowmac is on a distinguished road

I saw Onyx was mentioned above. Has any forum member had a problem with this application?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12.9" iPad Pro | Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales »