New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple announces iOS 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Wished they would enable Airdrop to work with all Mac products instead of just iPhones and iOS.
Touché

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Wished they would enable Airdrop to work with all Mac products instead of just iPhones and iOS.
Huh? AirDrop is on OS X. Been there since 10.7 Lion.

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the typography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the iconography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.
Yes but it doesn't work with the iPhone to Mac. Not in iOS7 as of yet.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.
I thought the same thing. Their examples were weak at best. However, there are some elements of Android that crept in (enhanced notifications and quick settings with control centre and the overall "flattening" of the OS is something that Google and Microsoft have been doing for quite some time). If anything though, they brought some Lumias into Ive's office and said "how can we emulate this as best we can?" (not Android devices).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah. Well that's nutty. I'm wondering if it will with Mavericks. They are switching from AFP to SMBX (an implementation of SMB2) for file sharing so presumably AirPlay on iOS 7 is using that also.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Ah. Well that's nutty. I'm wondering if it will with Mavericks. They are switching from AFP to SMBX (an implementation of SMB2) for file sharing so presumably AirPlay on iOS 7 is using that also.
It's still in beta 1 so there is still time for them to add features and change things.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Spotlight? just swipe down in the middle of any screen like an 'update' gesture
Sooo...it's no longer to the right of the first home screen? (Speaking of which, where's the home screen dots?)

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
But there was no mention of this in the Keynote, and they had both iOS 7 and Mavericks right there, Shiller was more interested in saying "At least we don't have to go around bumping phones together" lol and laughed, but absolutely no mention in the Keynote and even in iOS 7 all it says if someone near you with iPhone tell them to turn it on Im not seeing come Phone to Mac to Phone

EDIT : Has anyone noticed the subtle tribute to Steve Jobs in iOS 7 ?? Look Below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stevejobsiOS7tribute.jpg (28.7 KB, 49 views)

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
It's still in beta 1 so there is still time for them to add features and change things.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the typography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.
What i have discovered is AirDrop on iOS 7 is using Bluetooth to do this File Sharing thing. I was playing with it trying to get work with the Mac, and when i turned it on, i noticed the Bluetooth Icon in Control Centre turn on. I then tapped the Bluetooth Icon and my AirDrop turned off.
Now if someone with iOS 6 has Bluetooth turned on, Airdrop doesn't see them or can't discover them, as i found out with my missus and her iOS 6. So the BlueTooth or WiFi is a encrypted transfer. Cant find out more on what .v Bluetooth it is, as to iOS6 but I'm digging deeper

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
But there was no mention of this in the Keynote, and they had both iOS 7 and Mavericks right there, Shiller was more interested in saying "At least we don't have to go around bumping phones together" lol and laughed, but absolutely no mention in the Keynote and even in iOS 7 all it says if someone near you with iPhone tell them to turn it on Im not seeing come Phone to Mac to Phone

EDIT : Has anyone noticed the subtle tribute to Steve Jobs in iOS 7 ?? Look Below
I'm using this app to send things back and forth between my Phone and iMac. Kind of wish Airplay on iOS7 was like this without the actual bumping. XD Airplay on iOS7 apparently is only enabled on iPhone 5 and the newer generation iPad and iPad mini.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

The more I look at some of the screen caps and think about the video, the more I hate the new look. The icons are still butt-ugly. But it's not just that. I got to thinking about why I disliked Windows 7. I thought the UI was gorgeous, but ultimately I realized that it just got in the way. I was more like "ooohh... pretty!" and paying less attention to doing anything. Eye candy for the sake of eye candy is counter-productive. In that same way, the way the wallpaper has "depth" and you can see under the icons as you tilt/rotate the phone.... whoopdie doo. There's no practical purpose for it. Eye candy for the sake of eye candy. Same thing for effects like the frosted glass where you see what's underneath the Control Center, for example. If you can't use it, why give hints that it's there? It's just distracting.

I read an article yesterday that Jony Ives brought in the marketing team to come up with a plan for the UI changes, then the design team had to work based off their decisions. That suddenly makes sense. Eye candy for the sake of eye candy. That just reeks of a marketing decision.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I will happily admit that I emphatically argued that iOS needed a new facelift and, to Apple's credit, they took a cleaver to iOS and redesigned just about every facet of iOS from an aesthetic point of view. How well this translates into added functionality is a different question. I know that people such as Mark Shuttleworth have argued that "pretty" is a feature (source) but that connection isn't always present. Making iOS look good is one thing (I admit that I like the simplicity of it despite some extraneous eye-candy) but, as many have noted, this hasn't translated into much new functionality that truly innovates.
  • Control centre? Welcome to Android of a few years back.
  • New Notification Center? Still catching up to Android (seriously, how hard is it to let me remove notifications on a per notification basis?).
  • Multitasking? webOS had that very same design (almost completely so) back in 2009.
  • Filters on a camera? Great, my Nexus has had that functionality for ages now.
  • The new photos app? It's certainly new but that additions don't seem all that useful (zooming out to see microscopic versions of all pictures taken in a year is more of a bug than a feature).
  • AirDrop is genuinely useful and much more elegant that Android Beam assuming you have a WiFi connection.
  • Safari got nothing but a facelift.
  • iCloud Keychain however is awesome but that's not iOS specific.
  • iTunes Radio? Not an American nor do I stream music on the go so I'll reserve judgment (it does look elegantly designed though).
  • Siri no longer has a robotic voice? Neither does Google Now. That said, it looks like Siri in iOS 7 is going to jump ahead of Google Now in terms of it's personal assistance. But, as someone who refuses to speak to his phone, I don't really care (which is why I prefer Google Now's contextual card interface).
  • The Activation requirement built into Find my iPhone is genuinely awesome though. That really needs to be built into Android (come on Google, the only phone finding feature you have is for Google Apps users).
  • iOS in the car looks interesting but as someone who doesn't own a car, I'm indifferent about this one.
I know that I'm always critical of iOS and I'm well aware of the fact that I much prefer Android over iOS. That said, I'm willing to give iOS credit where credit is due. At this point though, all I see is a cosmetic makeover with few genuinely useful features that actually push iOS ahead (AirDrop) instead of simply pushing them in the same league (Control Centre).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I will happily admit that I emphatically argued that iOS needed a new facelift and, to Apple's credit, they took a cleaver to iOS and redesigned just about every facet of iOS from an aesthetic point of view. How well this translates into added functionality is a different question. I know that people such as Mark Shuttleworth have argued that "pretty" is a feature (source) but that connection isn't always present. Making iOS look good is one thing (I admit that I like the simplicity of it despite some extraneous eye-candy) but, as many have noted, this hasn't translated into much new functionality that truly innovates.
  • Control centre? Welcome to Android of a few years back.
  • New Notification Center? Still catching up to Android (seriously, how hard is it to let me remove notifications on a per notification basis?).
  • Multitasking? webOS had that very same design (almost completely so) back in 2009.
  • Filters on a camera? Great, my Nexus has had that functionality for ages now.
  • The new photos app? It's certainly new but that additions don't seem all that useful (zooming out to see microscopic versions of all pictures taken in a year is more of a bug than a feature).
  • AirDrop is genuinely useful and much more elegant that Android Beam assuming you have a WiFi connection.
  • Safari got nothing but a facelift.
  • iCloud Keychain however is awesome but that's not iOS specific.
  • iTunes Radio? Not an American nor do I stream music on the go so I'll reserve judgment (it does look elegantly designed though).
  • Siri no longer has a robotic voice? Neither does Google Now. That said, it looks like Siri in iOS 7 is going to jump ahead of Google Now in terms of it's personal assistance. But, as someone who refuses to speak to his phone, I don't really care (which is why I prefer Google Now's contextual card interface).
  • The Activation requirement built into Find my iPhone is genuinely awesome though. That really needs to be built into Android (come on Google, the only phone finding feature you have is for Google Apps users).
  • iOS in the car looks interesting but as someone who doesn't own a car, I'm indifferent about this one.
I know that I'm always critical of iOS and I'm well aware of the fact that I much prefer Android over iOS. That said, I'm willing to give iOS credit where credit is due. At this point though, all I see is a cosmetic makeover with few genuinely useful features that actually push iOS ahead (AirDrop) instead of simply pushing them in the same league (Control Centre).
Was this the article you were referring to by chance?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

No but I share some of the sentiments. Although I vehemently argued for a redesign, I've always felt that it needed to be accompanied by genuine additions to functionality. It would seem though that Apple overemphasized the iOS design over functionality.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

I kinda share some of those disappointments in iOS7, though I like the platform (and recently updated our phones to the 5) it really does seem like this update is more about redesign than real functional enhancements.

I really, really want what android has, the customizable screens that are apps not these damn grids of icons. I know very little about android and don't know what it's called, but a few times I've seen the S4 in action and wonder, what the heck is apple doing?

I know apple is king, has the great app thing, etc etc, but it just seems to me, like this really great thing, is beginning to run out of steam a little.

Perhaps I'll be shown wrong once iOS7 is released. I have a dev acct., so I could install the beta, but a few friends have and said it's a little unstable yet. I use my phone too much to risk that, so maybe the second beta.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's Siri dumps Google in favour of Microsoft's Bing in iOS 7 | Apple finally clamping down on those hackers that cheat in GameCentre . . . »