New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple announces iOS 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Spotlight? just swipe down in the middle of any screen like an 'update' gesture

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I'm no fanboy on either side, but if you want people to be honest.. that's what you're going to hear. Remember Web OS that got bought out by stupid HP and went belly up? Yeah, back in 2009, they created web cards.. guess what that looks exactly like in iOS 7?

Every single feature in iOS 7, I've had forever with my Android phone. The least they could have done is to integrate widgets on the home screens. At least then we could start getting away from icons/folders. Kind of over those.

iOS 7 does look beautiful though *IMO and aside from dull folders/icons* from every other aspect. And to their credit, for a derivative OS, it's very slick and intuitive.

Doug
+1 on the widget thing.

While I'm happy to see finally some movement on iOS, I've wanted to see something past this icon based screen stuff. I've resisted the urge to get an S4 mainly because I prefer the apple app eco system, but why is apple so steadfastly opposed to losing their obsession with the icon thing?

I have a dev acct, but I've never put a beta on my phone mainly because I use the hell out of it. But I'm tempted tis time. But there's no going back. Is it stable?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Spotlight? just swipe down in the middle of any screen like an 'update' gesture
Thanks man. It wasn't so easy to find that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
Is it stable?
Ive had the springboard go off twice in 12 Hrs, and both times was i was in Photo's, but is sprang back in like 6-7 Secs

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Apple announces flatter, sleeker iOS 7 | Ars Technica

I do NOT like it so far. Just have one pic but with that I am sorry, no like. I know MANY here will love it, but not me.

Sorry.
You are not alone. I hate the new look. Not that I didn't think the current look needed some tweaking, but this is so ugly.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I watched Keynote last night. I'm quite impressed. This was a long time coming, and I think Apple really nailed it - at least from what I saw. I think the tiles/icons are such a stark contrast to what we see right now that it's overwhelming to some people. It's very flat compared to the current "clunky" look. But that doesn't mean it's too flat.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I actually like it. Looks much freshened up, and I was one who got bored with the iPhone/iOS and ditched it. Looking forward to the next gen.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I actually like it. Looks much freshened up, and I was one who got bored with the iPhone/iOS and ditched it. Looking forward to the next gen.
I wouldn't say that I was actually bored with iOS. It was just limited compared to what a jail broken IOS, and Android devices could do. Now that the new iO7 I'm content with most of the new features and improvements. Of course there is always room for more improvement.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Watch the Android fan boys say that Google should sue Apple for ripping off their UI. >_>"
Because they did. If they claim that they didn't get inspiration from Google on the general aesthetic, they're lying. The card UI for multitasking is a rip off of WP8's multitasking functionality (it so blatant it's almost free from contestation) which itself is ripped off from webOS (as lifeisabeach pointed out). The "pull up" tray with the advanced functionality is almost a direct copy of Android's advanced notifications. The icon "flatness" copies Google's new web and app aesthetics (at least in iOS applications) and the transparency and semi-transparent icons copy Sailfish's aesthetic. The rest of it is flat which, although I think it looks nice, isn't all that revolutionary. Do I think the new UI is nice? Absolutely. Do I think it's original? No unless you count copying from a collection of other operating systems as "unique."

EDIT: As Thom at OSNews points out here (and something I forgot to mention):
Quote:
Overall though, it's pretty clear that Apple took a lot - a lot - of inspiration from Metro and Google's Holo, and mashed them together on top of iOS, without actually changing the underlying workings of the UI. In that sense, it feels more like a flat theme than an actual redesign of the UI. Let me also note that, unlike some others, I have no issues with companies copying each other. In fact, I like the trend towards simplistic, digital design, so Apple following the trend that especially Microsoft has been championing for a few years is a good thing in my view.
Yes, you read that right and it's so obvious it hurts - Microsoft has become the aesthetic lead in the mobile space, inspiring the giants (Apple and Google) to go minimal. The company no one ever associates with aesthetic dominance has now become the trend setter for mobile (and for Google, their web products as well) design.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Van, I agree on W8. It's probably the nicest Mobile OS out there at least what I see of it.

And now that it's mentioned I do see Web OS all over IOS7. Interesting. It's all coming back to me now. I missed Web OS and loved it when it first came out.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I'm okay with Apple adapting works from other designs - everyone does it anyway and really, pushing developers to improve their own work in light of competition is an okay thing. Hopefully though, this will quell a rather one sided discussion in which people (rather obliviously) generally argue that innovation and copying were one way (Apple outwards). The adaptation here is blatant and couldn't be more obvious unless Apple actually acknowledged it. Is this a problem? Like I said, not really. However, I think this speaks to Ive's lack of experience with iOS. He can design innovative hardware with (seemingly) relative ease but it appears that he struggled to truly innovate aesthetically and in terms of basic functionality with iOS 7. I still think this will be an awesome upgrade but I struggle to say that this is groundbreaking (despite the lofty rhetoric that floats out of Apple's marketing department).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My issue is Apple always accusing others of stealing from them! Remember Jobs, Microsoft, Turn on the Photo Copiers!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Here's an interesting article on The Verge about some of the more subtle changes. Although highly critical (he does point out some things that might be jarring for novice and possibly some seasoned users), he does seem to suggest that this might be workable for the future if Apple makes a few tweaks. Although I don't agree with all that he's said, it's an interesting read.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
My issue is Apple always accusing others of stealing from them! Remember Jobs, Microsoft, Turn on the Photo Copiers!
ROFL. We all know how that turned out Dennis. But I can hardly wait until I read the reply to Van's post above from a certain person living in Vancouver, BC.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I wouldn't say that I was actually bored with iOS. It was just limited compared to what a jail broken IOS, and Android devices could do. Now that the new iO7 I'm content with most of the new features and improvements. Of course there is always room for more improvement.
Agreed with both here. I wasn't really bored with iOS6, but i wasn't excited to dive in and use it, and now that i have my iPad Mini, i find my phone is taking the back seat. Over the last 2 days now, iP5 is back in action, and i suppose i can drop that down to be trying out all the features.
Now what I'm a little concerned about is AirDrop. They mentioned Airdrop on the Phone for the Phone :-/ That how i saw it, because Schiller danced around the stage and said "at least you don't have to go around bumbling phones together" a dig at Samsung and i laughed, and in Photos it says, AirDrop ~
Quote:
Share with people instantly with people nearby. If they don't appear automatically, ask them to open Control Center and turn on AirDrop
Now I'm wondering why they haven't let that be to Macs Airdrop ?? Its not that hard is it ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Agreed with both here. I wasn't really bored with iOS6, but i wasn't excited to dive in and use it, and now that i have my iPad Mini, i find my phone is taking the back seat. Over the last 2 days now, iP5 is back in action, and i suppose i can drop that down to be trying out all the features.
Now what I'm a little concerned about is AirDrop. They mentioned Airdrop on the Phone for the Phone :-/ That how i saw it, because Schiller danced around the stage and said "at least you don't have to go around bumbling phones together" a dig at Samsung and i laughed, and in Photos it says, AirDrop ~
Now I'm wondering why they haven't let that be to Macs Airdrop ?? Its not that hard is it ??
Wished they would enable Airdrop to work with all Mac products instead of just iPhones and iOS.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's Siri dumps Google in favour of Microsoft's Bing in iOS 7 | Apple finally clamping down on those hackers that cheat in GameCentre . . . »