Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/299829-apple-offers-sneak-peek-new-mac-pro-wwdc-2013-a.html)

OneMoreThing... 06-10-2013 04:10 PM

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013
 
Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

Read more

iggibar 06-10-2013 04:39 PM

9.9" tall by 6.6" wide? Wow!!! That's really impressive for that much computing power!!

martyp 06-10-2013 04:46 PM

I must say that my current iMac is more than powerful enough for my most demanding need (doing 2D CAD using AutoCAD 2012 in VMWare Fusion on Win8) but this new Mac Pro looks absolutely incredible!

The design is just so unique and yet they haven't really compromised on anything - aside from PCIe slots. Also a lot of talk about it being able to drive multiple 4K displays, wonder if there will be a new Apple Cinema Display with a 4K resolution on the horizon for it?

If they do I would be seriously tempted to bite the bullet and trade the iMac in for one. The machine is a work of art and props to Apple for making it entirely in the US!!!

Raz0rEdge 06-10-2013 04:48 PM

12 core Xeon processor!

I'll just leave it at that..

pigoo3 06-10-2013 06:17 PM

Of course details on the Mac Pro are few & far between at this point. But from what I've seen so far...the new Mac Pro sounds like a "Super Mac-Mini"!;)

Very very powerful...but much less expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro. We shall see as more info becomes available.:)

- Nick

harryb2448 06-10-2013 06:22 PM

Seems to be the way Nick doesn't it?

Since upgrading from mac Pro to iMac not at all disappointed.

Lifeisabeach 06-10-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1519977)
Of course details on the Mac Pro are few & far between at this point. But from what I've seen so far...the new Mac Pro sounds like a "Super Mac-Mini"!;)

Very very powerful...but much less expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro. We shall see as more info becomes available.:)

It's perfectly expandable over Thunderbolt. There are TB boxes for PCI cards, so anything can be tossed into those. And from what I've read from comments by a couple professionals, their storage needs grows faster than anything else, so an external TB RAID array makes more sense vs having internal HDD bays, plus a RAID array is portable and can be moved easily to another workstation if need be.

You can't upgrade the internal graphics cards, but good grief! Considering what it can do now, would anyone NEED to in the near future? Another point someone else made elsewhere... this thing is about the size of an SGI workstation, and those were no more upgradable/expandable than the new Mac Pro. If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

pigoo3 06-10-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1519988)
It's perfectly expandable over Thunderbolt. There are TB boxes for PCI cards, so anything can be tossed into those. And from what I've read from comments by a couple professionals, their storage needs grows faster than anything else, so an external TB RAID array makes more sense vs having internal HDD bays, plus a RAID array is portable and can be moved easily to another workstation if need be.

What you mentioned may be right on the mark.:)

I probably should have been more specific in my earlier post. What I should have said was..."Very very powerful...but much less internally expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro."

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1519988)
If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

Again...maybe so. But Thunderbolt has been out for a little over 2 years now...and I've really seen very very little mainstream implementation of Thunderbolt devices by the average user. About the only device that we commonly hear about in everyday conversation regarding "Thunderbolt" is the 27" Thunderbolt display. And even this device isn't going to be in the average Apple computer owners home...due to the steep $999 price tag.

I realize that other Thunderbolt devices exist...but the average Apple computer user is not using or purchasing them.

Also...if "Apple history" teaches us anything...Apple has come out with all sorts of different port types over the years...and has done away with them just as quickly. I can make a list almost as long as my arm of port types that Apple has experimented with...and then did away with them.

Given that Thunderbolt has been around for 2 years (with very little implementation by the common user)...I wouldn't be surprised to see Thunderbolt ports disappearing!:o

But maybe the new Mac Pro will help change this.:)

- Nick

Lifeisabeach 06-10-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1519988)
If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1520000)
Again...maybe so. But Thunderbolt has been out for a little over 2 years now...and I've really seen very very little mainstream implementation of Thunderbolt devices by the average user. About the only device that we commonly hear about in everyday conversation regarding "Thunderbolt" is the 27" Thunderbolt display. And even this device isn't going to be in the average Apple computer owners home...due to the steep $999 price tag.

Well by "more expandable", I meant in comparison to an SGI workstation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1520000)
I realize that other Thunderbolt devices exist...but the average Apple computer user is not using or purchasing them.

The average user simply has no real need for Thunderbolt. But the new Mac Pro isn't for the average user either. If professionals really do take to the new Mac Pro, then I'd expect more TB peripherals to follow. I think there are enough options now to get what they need using TB now.

pigoo3 06-10-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1520007)
The average user simply has no real need for Thunderbolt.

This is exactly my point...and I'm glad we agree on it!:)

Which means (for the last 2 years)...the inclusion of Thunderbolt ports on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's has really not been necessary. And for folks that have Thunderbolt Display's...they could still be using the old mini-display port 27" display.:)

AND...if the average user has no real need for Thunderbolt...then Apple should certainly remove the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's...and give us a port that the average user can make use of.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1520007)
But the new Mac Pro isn't for the average user either. If professionals really do take to the new Mac Pro, then I'd expect more TB peripherals to follow. I think there are enough options now to get what they need using TB now.

Again...maybe so. But then we have to consider the issue of "economies of scale". Companies won't produce more TB peripherals just for Mac Pro's if they cannot make a lot of them to make a decent profit.

Or...they would not produce very many of them (small production runs)...and charge the Mac Pro owners who want them...very very high prices.

We shall see.:)

- Nick

pigoo3 06-10-2013 07:42 PM

Actually I just remembered. On the positive side for Thunderbolt and the "average user"...the Thunderbolt port is also backwards compatible with the mini-display port. So the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, iMac's, MacBook Pro's, and MacBook Air's is still useful as a video-out port for external displays.

And...if one of these "average-users" does decide to "splurge" for a different sort of Thunderbolt device...they still have that option as well.

So I guess we continue to keep the Thunderbolt port for a while...and see what happens!:)

- Nick

dtravis7 06-10-2013 08:46 PM

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013
 
Apple - Mac Pro

I am sure many will salivate over it but I do not like it. It's not a true Pro machine to me. Sorry.

dtravis7 06-10-2013 08:48 PM

At long last! Apple announces new Mac Pro with cylindrical design | Ars Technica

pigoo3 06-10-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1520049)
I am sure many will salivate over it but I do not like it. It's not a true Pro machine to me. Sorry.

I don't mind so much that it will be smaller & lighter. But it was Apple's last computer model to be a truly internally expandable/upgradeable computer. Which it is always nice to have everything INSIDE of the computer.

With the new Mac Pro's design (if it's designed to have all of it's expansion OUTSIDE of the computer via Thunderbolt)...then a person's desktop can get all cluttered with expansion devices. But then it depends on how much expanding/upgrading a person does.

I think that running multiple monitors is one thing many folks with Mac Pro's like to do in terms of expandability...and I think that I read that the new Mac Pro is capable of running 3 monitors simultaneously out of the box. So that's a pretty cool feature.:)

- Nick

Groovetube 06-10-2013 10:05 PM

I'm a little on the fence on this machine. My first thought was, well the cube was a bad idea, why is it a good idea now?

That aside, I'm not really loving the cylindrical design. The thing is, most real pros I know, ones that want to put real $$ for a pro, don't care -that- much about cutting edge design, and certainly not one that makes it less expandable on the inside. I think, for now, that may be a bit of a mistake. Pro users will balk at having to put out more hundreds (plenty) for external chassis for cards etc. So, I'm not sold that this is a great idea.

I see a whole lotta mac guys on another mac forum really putting this machine down. I wonder what the final reaction will be.

-I- might love one, but I'm not a total video pro etc after expensive high end video cards etc. That's not exactly what I thought mac pros were for... people like me.

thunderbolt however, I love it, mainly because the 2 I have, can be whatever port I like (with an adapter if needed) I love the expandability and options thunderbolt has. I think, it may be here to stay, but just faster generations that are backwards compatible.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.