New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
has there been any indication on price?

If that thing is significantly lower in price, that could go a long way to cutting down criticism.
I agree. But I'm 99% sure it will be expensive...since it IS a "Mac Pro"!

Apple needs to maintain a price difference between the Mac Pro and their other computers...otherwise there wouldn't be a perceived superiority to the Mac Pro.

Plus I'm sure that the new Mac Pro's specs will outclass all other Mac's. Except maybe a low-end Mac Pro...which may not be much more than a higher end iMac without a display.

But this is all "crystal-ball" talk!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
The new Mac Pro is 1/8th the size of the old ones.

If they stuck with the old design...
No doubt the old case design was getting very very old and tired! Hopefully there wouldn't be too many folks that would differ with that assessment. That case design has been around since the very first Powermac G5 in 2003 (10 years now)!!!

Hopefully the new Mac Pro's case redesign (like it or not)...will create some new excitement at the top-end of Apple's computer lineup. And new excitement is great for both Apple fans and Apple stockholders!!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

Hopefully the new Mac Pro's case redesign (like it or not)...will create some new excitement at the top-end of Apple's computer lineup. And new excitement is great for both Apple fans and Apple stockholders!!!

- Nick

I think it only results in even more rejection of Apple at the high end.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

that could very well be. One of the big draws of the mac pro, was it's internal expansion.

I've been buying expensive machines (over 4k) since my first brand new one the G4 MDD, then the G5, and I owned 2 mac pros before I cut and run and went to the macbook pros when they became super fast to the maxed out retina I have now.

Price didn't stop me on the machines I've bought, but pros, the ones I know, will go PC in heartbeat (as shocking as that may be) if they thought for a minute they had to blow tons more cash to either replace or buy expensive chassises for their expansion stuff.

They are a fickle, cantankerous bunch. Apple seems to have designed a neat thingy for the design studios perhaps, but the real balls to the wall chew on cpu cycles production guys, couldn't care less about the cylindrical design really. These are guys who might be happy to go to the peecee shop and buy a peecee case.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

Apple - Mac Pro

What?! What is this? This is the new Mac Pro?
One of the things that I loved about the Mac Pro is the ability to upgrade it easily. Adding HDDs Graphics cards, Ram were a breeze. Why did they mac something that looks like a more expensive of a mac mini or the old Cube?

I think they think its gonna be the future. If this tiny thing is the new Mac Pro, they better make sure its not as expensive as the old one. Otherwise I don't see this gimmick working at all for them.

Once You've had Mac, you can't go back.... So very true.
If necessity is the mother of invention, she obviously never met Steve Jobs..
Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I think they think its gonna be the future. If this tiny thing is the new Mac Pro, they better make sure its not as expensive as the old one.
Don't hold your breath. It wouldn't surprise me to see this machine selling for $3K and on up.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Don't hold your breath. It wouldn't surprise me to see this machine selling for $3K and on up.
Plus a k or two for the external enclosures you are gonna need.

Oh, wait. There are no Thunderbolt 2 enclosures or chassis.

Don't forget the $50 tb cable.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Here's my guess. For the top-end stock configuration...I'm guessing $4999.

It's possible there will be options to upgrade the ram & storage at purchase time that could send the final price much higher. But I'm guessing $4999 for the top end configuration (12-core) before any customization.!

- Nick

p.s. The current top-end 12-core Mac Pro sells for $3799. And it only has one graphics card, doesn't have any sort of SSD storage, and only 12 gig of ram.

QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

It looks like a black garbage can from Ikea.

Hope it works for the target market.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I bet if the bench scores are astronomically high it will sell.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I bet if the bench scores are astronomically high it will sell.
It was mentioned during the WWDC presentation for the new Mac Pro that it was designed to be good for 10 years. This is a pretty big statement in "computerland"...when we know how fast some systems can be outdated.

So it better have some "kick-butt" benchmark scores!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It was mentioned during the WWDC presentation for the new Mac Pro that it was designed to be good for 10 years. This is a pretty big statement in "computerland"...when we know how fast some systems can be outdated.

So it better have some "kick-butt" benchmark scores!!!

- Nick
Seeing that it cannot be easily upgraded as the old systems, i.e. graphics cards, ram, disk drives, etc., it better be able to stand with systems 3 years from now. Tech is moving at a rapid pace with new processors and stuff coming out. You need to be able to keep up.

I also think that you see the current trend towards apps being more internet and network related rather than being run locally on your own system. Apple probably is seeing this as the future of applications and seeing everyone having their own servers and networks in their own homes as opposed to one single device.

If the benckmarks don't stand up, then I don't see why anyone would get this when they could have an imac for less.

Once You've had Mac, you can't go back.... So very true.
If necessity is the mother of invention, she obviously never met Steve Jobs..
Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
pinto79

pinto79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, Mac OS X 10.10, iPhone 5s, 2008 MacBook, PowerMac G4, iMac G3

I like it.

I recently made the move to Mac and am in the process of phasing out my limping PC that still runs my business software. It's a giant case with room for 6 HDDs, three 5.25 bays and a 3.5 bay (I still have a 1.44FD...)

I decided to go Mac Mini with a couple of external drives and am very happy with the result. The space savings are enormous. I could see this new iCan being a great step up from the Mini when the time comes.

Just a note.... I'm using the Thunderbolt port along with an adapting cable to plug into one of my two 32" 1080p displays so that I can run them both. seems to work great for me!
QUOTE Thanks
TRYON

TRYON is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Elite 250gb

Oh the Pro.....
1-ThunderBolt (mac states) it is twenty (20) times faster then 3.0 usb port.
2-Small pro=external add ons. Ex. h/d, ex. b/r burner, etc for a video geek like me.
3-LOWER price! YEAH RIGHT. One of my geek co-horts tells me WAIT till it's out for a while, bugs you know. Wait till Apple gets the bugs out NAH....All i want is SPEED and an accurate software for my new video business. So you you Mac apple geeks get ready for more discussions on the pro. The present four bay pro looks pretty good for an old geek like me. Ah i can see it now adding a 10,000 rpm to the second bay, plenty of memory space too. Well we shall see ladies and Gentlemen. To Pro or not to Pro. Thank you
TRYON
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

The Mac Pro is impressive. But its overkill.. Only people that would have use for such a power house is Engineers using 3D modeling software like SolidWorks and other professionals need genetic data or similar numbers crunched. This is what is killing it..

Lets face it, the biggest mistake will be not offering lower priced gaming graphics cards. Fires are powerful, but they dont offer the functions needed for 3D game play.. The Xeon is server oriented computing. Point being I would love to see the current Mac Pro, but not necessarily as a workstation model. Perhaps a slightly lower high end model geared for gammers.
Build a model with a I7 Haswell, and two of the top of the line ATI Radeon cards and they got a powerful system that will appeal to a larger audience. Currently there is to much of a performance gap between a MacMini or iMac and the New MacPro. At least have the option for Gaming or Workstation video cards.. I would love the thing, I have the money for it. But I have no use for FirePro's!

Exodist Photography on Youtube
Lightroom, Photoshop video tutorials and more...
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 5S Touch ID hacked by fake fingerprints !!!!! | Apple's multitouch 'Steve Jobs patent' revalidated in full by USPTO »