Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
    I'm a little on the fence on this machine. My first thought was, well the cube was a bad idea, why is it a good idea now?
    Ahh...another great analogy!

The new Mac Pro is either a "Super Mac-Mini"...or the reincarnation of the Mac Cube!

If the new Mac Pro has an external power supply (like both the Mac-Mini and Mac Cube have/had)...then we are definitely talking more similarities than differences.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Nick, looking at the insides on that Apple page I have a feeling the Power Supply is external.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Nick, looking at the insides on that Apple page I have a feeling the Power Supply is external.
    I didn't see the photos...but I had a strong idea the PS would be external. Definitely one way to make the Mac Pro small & reduce heat buildup.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    external? Say it ain't so. C'mon Apple!!

My disdain for the pro aside, I did really like the preview of Maverick. Great name too!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The new Mac Pro

Some decent pics at ARS.

Specs:
    Looking at those pictures...it's definitely the reincarnation of the "Mac-Cube"!

Except the new Mac Pro could be called the "Mac-Cylinder"...or the "Mac-Silo"!

- Nick

Specs:
    Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    I'm starting to hear the 'mac can'.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This is exactly my point...and I'm glad we agree on it!

Which means (for the last 2 years)...the inclusion of Thunderbolt ports on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's has really not been necessary. And for folks that have Thunderbolt Display's...they could still be using the old mini-display port 27" display.

AND...if the average user has no real need for Thunderbolt...then Apple should certainly remove the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's...and give us a port that the average user can make use of.
    Whoa... not so fast. I certainly believe Apple should have been including USB 3 across their product lines sooner than they have, but by no means would I concur that they should yank Thunderbolt ports on all but the Mac Pro. Just because the "average" user has no practical use for it doesn't mean NO user has one.

I don't mind so much that it will be smaller & lighter. But it was Apple's last computer model to be a truly internally expandable/upgradeable computer. Which it is always nice to have everything INSIDE of the computer.

With the new Mac Pro's design (if it's designed to have all of it's expansion OUTSIDE of the computer via Thunderbolt)...then a person's desktop can get all cluttered with expansion devices. But then it depends on how much expanding/upgrading a person does.
    The new Mac Pro is 1/8th the size of the old ones. For someone who has no need of the internal expandability, the old ones are in fact more cluttered. For someone who only needs the hard drive space, adding an external RAID array still would take up less space. Need a couple PCI slots for some specialized need? I do believe the new Mac Pro, a RAID box, and a Thunderbolt expansion chassis would still take up less space overall.

Anywho, there's always going to be someone you just can't please. The new Mac Pro will be absolutely perfect for a lot of people, perhaps less so for others. If they stuck with the old design, then that would still hold true except the roles would be inverted. I know I'd be less happy with a tower 8x larger than it NEEDS to be for my needs. To be honest, I don't like cable clutter either, but it's not the end of the world and in a working environment, I can see how the new design would be an improvement. Here's links to a couple choice comments from working professionals on Ars Technica's coverage with what their feelings are. I think their observations are very much worth noting.

At long last! Apple announces new Mac Pro with cylindrical design | Ars Technica

At long last! Apple announces new Mac Pro with cylindrical design | Ars Technica

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Looking at those pictures...it's definitely the reincarnation of the "Mac-Cube"!

Except the new Mac Pro could be called the "Mac-Cylinder"...or the "Mac-Silo"!

This should need no introduction.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    has there been any indication on price?

If that thing is significantly lower in price, that could go a long way to cutting down criticism.

Specs:
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
    I'm starting to hear the 'mac can'.
    Try iCan
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com

Specs:
    I don't care who hates me, Bans me, De-Friends me, to me when I first saw the new Mac Pro I thought of this:

Round Lobby Ash Bin 10L - Cigarette Bins & Ashtrays - Fire Safety & No Smoking - Office Products - Safety Equipment Supplier - Seton Australia

hahahhahahahahaha!

Specs:
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I don't care who hates me, Bans me, defends me, to me when I first saw the new Mac Pro I thought of this:

Round Lobby Ash Bin 10L - Cigarette Bins & Ashtrays - Fire Safety & No Smoking - Office Products - Safety Equipment Supplier - Seton Australia

hahahhahahahahaha!
    Good one!

My prediction and I'm not really good at them, this thing won't sell.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    has there been any indication on price?
    If you have to ask, you can't afford to buy one!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Whoa... not so fast. I certainly believe Apple should have been including USB 3 across their product lines sooner than they have, but by no means would I concur that they should yank Thunderbolt ports on all but the Mac Pro. Just because the "average" user has no practical use for it doesn't mean NO user has one.
    Please read what I posted later on after the post that was quoted. I revised my statement...since for the "average user" I remembered that the Thunderbolt port is also a backwards compatible mini-display port.

- Nick

Thread Information