New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple may re-architect iOS to utilize more processor cores ahead of iPhone 6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple may to re-architect iOS to utilize more processor cores ahead of iPhone 6

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I suppose that would keep them in the game in terms of processing cores since many Android devices are moving to 4+ cores but why does my phone need more than 2 (isn't 2 already quite a bit)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

From what I know, iOS can already utilize multi cores(up to 4 without problems). These rumors are either wrong, or are actually referring to more cores than what we have been seeing in the market(maybe 2x2 or 2x4 setups).

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
From what I know, iOS can already utilize multi cores(up to 4 without problems).
Is the OS multicore aware though? You can certainly do concurrent processing tasks in iOS but does the OS itself work like that? Honest question - I have no idea.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I suppose that would keep them in the game in terms of processing cores since many Android devices are moving to 4+ cores but why does my phone need more than 2 (isn't 2 already quite a bit)?
Exactly. We're not exactly running "heavy hitter" applications on these things.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Is the OS multicore aware though? You can certainly do concurrent processing tasks in iOS but does the OS itself work like that? Honest question - I have no idea.
iOS is, but I'm not sure how individual apps are designed...never really looked into it before. Both Android and iOS can use multi-cores at the same time. Apple made Grand Central Dispatch to help apps take advantage of multiple cores(not sure if there is a limit). I remember Apple talking about the new 2 processor greatness out of the iPhone4s and how the new iMovie was going to take advantage of it. I haven't tried this on an iPhone, but on my Note2, I can check the speed of all 4 cores to see how much each is being used, as well as speeding 1(or all 4), or shutting 1 or more down. Is there an app to let you see that info? I would check myself, but I don't have the means to do so.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Anyone ever wish there was a "valet" setting for their iPhone? Sort of like how you could put your Corvette ZR-1 into 4 cylinder mode so the valet couldn't have too much "Ferris Bueller" type fun while you were eating dinner? I'd like to have less CPU to make my battery last longer - maybe just enough to make and receive cellular calls and that's it.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Anyone ever wish there was a "valet" setting for their iPhone? Sort of like how you could put your Corvette ZR-1 into 4 cylinder mode so the valet couldn't have too much "Ferris Bueller" type fun while you were eating dinner? I'd like to have less CPU to make my battery last longer - maybe just enough to make and receive cellular calls and that's it.
LOL on the Ferris Bueller comment. That would be awesome, actually - and something that would set iOS apart.

Maybe you should say something...

Apple - Feedback

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Hmmm, processors have this ability - the Tegra line has different core speeds (Tegra 3 has four regular cores and one slower core for when the device is asleep) and the new 8 core processor Samsung developed is actually a high performance 4 core and a lower performance 4 core one. Controlling this at the software level can't be hard either - my One S has a "power saver" mode which, if I understand correctly, shuts down one of the two cores.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

More cores would be useful if they introduced true (simultaneous-process, regardless of screen focus) multi-tasking...

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The question that remains though is "do you even need it?" Honestly, I can't think of much on a phone that requires multi-thread support. It's a phone...

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del View Post
More cores would be useful if they introduced true (simultaneous-process, regardless of screen focus) multi-tasking...
The Galaxy Note 2(as well as a few others) can already due that depending on what carrier you are with. It wouldn't be much of an introduction, as much as it would be catching up. It's actually not a feature I much care about though. As long as cache gets saved from a previous app, it's all I need.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
The question that remains though is "do you even need it?" Honestly, I can't think of much on a phone that requires multi-thread support. It's a phone...
Some of the most popular phones today are more powerful than the computers from less than 10 years ago. There's definitely a need.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
The Galaxy Note 2(as well as a few others) can already due that depending on what carrier you are with. It wouldn't be much of an introduction, as much as it would be catching up. It's actually not a feature I much care about though. As long as cache gets saved from a previous app, it's all I need.
That's more of a curse than a feature. Apple's implementation of "multitasking" (which it really isn't, it's more like task switching) is very deliberately done that way. I can't see them "catching" up any time soon. Not unless battery technology improves in a very significant way and people do way more on their phones than run basic apps and play games.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Some of the most popular phones today are more powerful than the computers from less than 10 years ago. There's definitely a need.
I get the feeling this is more a product of the vicious "consumers want more power so companies produce them which means people want better phones..." circle. And honestly, I think some (certainly not all though) people buy the top of the line phones because they can, not because they know what it is.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Blog: VEHO?s Muvi X-Lapse?thing. | Apple rejecting iOS apps for "cookie tracking" »