New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple may re-architect iOS to utilize more processor cores ahead of iPhone 6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

There's nothing wrong with buying the top of the line phone, or any product of such nature. I remember my HTC MDA from a while back. I thought it was fast, and kept it for while thinking it was still a good phone a few iPhones later. When I turned it on, it was so slow it would probably be comparable to swimming through honey. The demand for consumers wanting better products, which in turn causes companies to upgrade their products, is nothing abnormal. Happens with literally everything man-made. Without it, there would never be consumer awareness of what is better, or that they are the driving force behind the bettering of products. Would you go back to whatever cell phone you had 10 years ago? From your experience of how you handled it back 10 years ago, you might say yes, but if you were to start fresh with it after using a phone from today, you would throw it straight into the trash.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against innovation (I do like my shiny new toys) but innovation doesn't always have to entail "bigger/more is better" which seems to be a trend in mobile device development. Think of the two major trends in mobile phones right now: larger screens and more processing cores. Even Apple, a company adamant that the pre-iPhone 5 size was sufficient acquiesced on screen size. My concern with this (more with the processing cores than anything) is do we really need it now? Given that it hits my battery hard, I'd suggest that it's overkill for what we want. Take for example the Exynos 5 processor Samsung built. It has 8 cores (one quad 1.8Ghz and one quad 1.2Ghz). Why? What possible good other than testing battery capacity does that provide me for my phone? This is where I have the problem. Innovation is great but it doesn't have to mean pushing things beyond necessity.

This is where Apple does it right. Developers need to stop cramming gear into a plastic case and selling it as the next best thing. The ultimate goal is experience and Apple has demonstrated that you don't need to put a Ferrari engine under the hood to get it.

(Note, perhaps in a moment in which I admit irony, I've ordered a Nexus 4, a phone with 4 cores and 2GB of RAM, haha).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Scientist: "I've been working on a thing. It's sort of like Stummies."
Don: "Go on. I like what I hear so far."
Scientist: "It's exactly like Stummies."
Don: "And the twist is?"
Scientist: "It's a much bigger pill."
Don: "I like a lot. Is it ready for production?"

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That's more of a curse than a feature. Apple's implementation of "multitasking" (which it really isn't, it's more like task switching) is very deliberately done that way. I can't see them "catching" up any time soon. Not unless battery technology improves in a very significant way and people do way more on their phones than run basic apps and play games.
I'm not sure if you've ever experienced multitasking on it, but It's extremely far from a curse. Just search for Note 2 multitasking on Youtube some videos. If you're not impressed by what you see, then nothing will ever impress you.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Split-screen multi-tasking may not be massively useful on an iPhone or iPod Touch due to the limited screen size (even given the high resolution), but it could be worthwhile on the iPad; to be able to run two 1536x1024 (3:2 an aspect ratio that we know iOS works well in) 7" effective diagonal size applications side-by-side or one atop the other on the iPad's 4:3 screen (i.e. the apps in landscape mode when the tablet was held in portrait orientation & vise-versa) could be useful for businessmen, content creators, etc...

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I'm not sure if you've ever experienced multitasking on it, but It's extremely far from a curse. Just search for Note 2 multitasking on Youtube some videos. If you're not impressed by what you see, then nothing will ever impress you.
My experience with multitasking on Android was that it was a gigantic pain in the rear. I spent most of my interaction with the phone killing processes with a third party app killer because the OS didn't have any sort of control of those processes. If it neglected to do this, I'd get a half to a third of my normal battery life (which was a scant 14 hours of light use).

So yeah, I like Apple's approach here - and I know it's entirely deliberate. iOS, being based on OS X is entirely capable of providing full, pre-emptive multitasking. I believe there is a cost associated with that though, and I don't think Apple is willing to compromise the user experience.

Bigger, more, faster do not always make for the best user experience. As I've said before, first it needs to be a very good mobile phone. Everything else is secondary. If you cripple it by trying to make it all things to all people, you cripple the user experience.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Bigger, more, faster do not always make for the best user experience. As I've said before, first it needs to be a very good mobile phone. Everything else is secondary. If you cripple it by trying to make it all things to all people, you cripple the user experience.
I think this distills my point into a nicer package. Although I love increased power and more available memory, more effective use of said resources (even if less of it is available) is more important.

Once again, I also realize that I own Android tablets/phones, both of which are quad core devices with plenty of RAM.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Blog: VEHO?s Muvi X-Lapse?thing. | Apple rejecting iOS apps for "cookie tracking" »