Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    OneMoreThing...'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2005
    Posts
    2,692
    Post Apple releases updates to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, lowers starting price
    Apple releases updates to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, lowers starting price

    Apple is updating specs and dropping prices on select MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models. According
    Read more

  2. #2

    cherry_bomb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    131
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 4 RAM
    Good to know! I am planning on purchasing a new MacBook in the next few weeks. I have been agonizing over which one to buy- the pro vs the air, the one with retina display... ugh!

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Specs:
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry_bomb View Post
    Good to know! I am planning on purchasing a new MacBook in the next few weeks. I have been agonizing over which one to buy- the pro vs the air, the one with retina display... ugh!
    I have 2-2011 15inch MBP's and a 2012 13inch MBP. Just picked up a refurb 13inch 2012 Air, and I must say this thing is really sweet.

    Just depends on your needs. I do adverting photography and the 15's are location powerhouses. The AIR does a nice job but is not well suited to power hungry workloads. It is however a GREAT travel machine and I find it much more satisfying user experience than an ipad. My wife uses the MBP 13 and is constantly eying my AIR
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  4. #4

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,883
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
    I have 2-2011 15inch MBP's and a 2012 13inch MBP. Just picked up a refurb 13inch 2012 Air, and I must say this thing is really sweet.

    Just depends on your needs. I do adverting photography and the 15's are location powerhouses. The AIR does a nice job but is not well suited to power hungry workloads. It is however a GREAT travel machine and I find it much more satisfying user experience than an ipad. My wife uses the MBP 13 and is constantly eying my AIR
    I am an avid amateur photographer and planning to replace my aging 15in 2007 MBP in the next year. What are your thoughts on Retina vs Standard screen and 13 vs 15 in?

    I have a Mac desktop with 27in Viewsonic monitor as well.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Specs:
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    I am an avid amateur photographer and planning to replace my aging 15in 2007 MBP in the next year. What are your thoughts on Retina vs Standard screen and 13 vs 15 in?

    I have a Mac desktop with 27in Viewsonic monitor as well.

    I was not blown away by the Retina screens. Not really all that keen on a non upgradable machine for a portable workstation either. But they are "sexy"

    13 compared to 15...Not a huge deal for me, for tethered shooting, either will do just fine. Editing I'll choose the 15. Even then as good as the Mac laptop screen are I won't use them for color critical work.

    I use NEC monitors for my studio workstations, currently the PA-271.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  6. #6

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,883
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Thanks.
    I was leaning toward standard over Retina anyway, and I'll probably stick with the 15in.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  7. #7

    xdunlapx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2012
    Posts
    274
    Specs:
    cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
    I just priced my mbp with the new "lower" prices. It costs $40 more this year than it did last year. The price did NOT go down.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by xdunlapx View Post
    I just priced my mbp with the new "lower" prices. It costs $40 more this year than it did last year. The price did NOT go down.
    It's ALWAYS important to pay attention to the details. The very FIRST sentence of the article clearly states:

    "Apple is updating specs and dropping prices on select MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models."

    The important word is "select" MBP and MBA models.

    Secondly...ALL of the MacBook Pro models mentioned in the article are RETINA MacBook Pro's. The non-retina MacBook Pro's were NOT updated.

    From what I can tell from your profile...you have a non-retina MBP.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9

    xdunlapx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 08, 2012
    Posts
    274
    Specs:
    cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
    Good point. I missed that.

  10. #10

    cherry_bomb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    131
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 4 RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
    I have 2-2011 15inch MBP's and a 2012 13inch MBP. Just picked up a refurb 13inch 2012 Air, and I must say this thing is really sweet.

    Just depends on your needs. I do adverting photography and the 15's are location powerhouses. The AIR does a nice job but is not well suited to power hungry workloads. It is however a GREAT travel machine and I find it much more satisfying user experience than an ipad. My wife uses the MBP 13 and is constantly eying my AIR
    Thank you for your thoughts! Sorry for my delayed response.

    My needs mostly revolve around writing and net surfing (I will sometimes have 15-25 tabs going at a time), streaming music, movies, etc. Some photo manipulation- I think speed is my biggest need. I don't think I run a hungry power workload- do I? LOL I have pretty much decided on the MBA 13", as long as it can do what I need I should be pleased.

  11. #11

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Is it bad that I didn't even notice the difference? Still waiting for a Retina 15" with 16gb of ram to come up in the refurb list. The spec update on the 15" seems to be unnoticeable from tests.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Specs:
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    Thanks.
    I was leaning toward standard over Retina anyway, and I'll probably stick with the 15in.
    Just an update....

    I bought my wife a 13" retina this weekend and I must say having spent some time with the screen it is a big bump from the standard 13 screen. And the anti-glare coating works quite well.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  13. #13

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,883
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
    Just an update....

    I bought my wife a 13" retina this weekend and I must say having spent some time with the screen it is a big bump from the standard 13 screen. And the anti-glare coating works quite well.
    Ow!
    Now I have to reopen my search when I had finally narrowed it down.

    Just kidding, thanks for the input.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  14. #14

    cherry_bomb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    131
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 4 RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    Ow!
    Now I have to reopen my search when I had finally narrowed it down.

    Just kidding, thanks for the input.
    I know, right? I was all satisfied with my decision to go with the Air, convinced I had no real need for the retina, just a want. Now I'm really going to want it! LOL

  15. #15

    cherry_bomb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    131
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 4 RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    Is it bad that I didn't even notice the difference? Still waiting for a Retina 15" with 16gb of ram to come up in the refurb list. The spec update on the 15" seems to be unnoticeable from tests.
    The difference in quality of the displays?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. If Apple releases the new MacBook Pro on October 22...
    By kiteboarder in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 10:27 PM
  2. Apple updates latest MacBook Air models to fix Wi-Fi issues
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM
  3. Macbook Air w/ Pro Tools (Updates Anyone?)
    By whitetar in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •