Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Apple releases updates to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, lowers starting price (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/295041-apple-releases-updates-macbook-pro-macbook-air-lowers-starting-price.html)

OneMoreThing... 02-13-2013 10:40 AM

Apple releases updates to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, lowers starting price

Apple releases updates to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, lowers starting price

Quote:

Apple is updating specs and dropping prices on select MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models. According
Read more

cherry_bomb 02-15-2013 03:15 PM

Good to know! I am planning on purchasing a new MacBook in the next few weeks. I have been agonizing over which one to buy- the pro vs the air, the one with retina display... ugh!

infocusinc 02-16-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherry_bomb (Post 1495993)
Good to know! I am planning on purchasing a new MacBook in the next few weeks. I have been agonizing over which one to buy- the pro vs the air, the one with retina display... ugh!

I have 2-2011 15inch MBP's and a 2012 13inch MBP. Just picked up a refurb 13inch 2012 Air, and I must say this thing is really sweet.

Just depends on your needs. I do adverting photography and the 15's are location powerhouses. The AIR does a nice job but is not well suited to power hungry workloads. It is however a GREAT travel machine and I find it much more satisfying user experience than an ipad. My wife uses the MBP 13 and is constantly eying my AIR :)

RavingMac 02-16-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infocusinc (Post 1496121)
I have 2-2011 15inch MBP's and a 2012 13inch MBP. Just picked up a refurb 13inch 2012 Air, and I must say this thing is really sweet.

Just depends on your needs. I do adverting photography and the 15's are location powerhouses. The AIR does a nice job but is not well suited to power hungry workloads. It is however a GREAT travel machine and I find it much more satisfying user experience than an ipad. My wife uses the MBP 13 and is constantly eying my AIR :)

I am an avid amateur photographer and planning to replace my aging 15in 2007 MBP in the next year. What are your thoughts on Retina vs Standard screen and 13 vs 15 in?

I have a Mac desktop with 27in Viewsonic monitor as well.

infocusinc 02-16-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavingMac (Post 1496126)
I am an avid amateur photographer and planning to replace my aging 15in 2007 MBP in the next year. What are your thoughts on Retina vs Standard screen and 13 vs 15 in?

I have a Mac desktop with 27in Viewsonic monitor as well.

I was not blown away by the Retina screens. Not really all that keen on a non upgradable machine for a portable workstation either. But they are "sexy" :)

13 compared to 15...Not a huge deal for me, for tethered shooting, either will do just fine. Editing I'll choose the 15. Even then as good as the Mac laptop screen are I won't use them for color critical work.

I use NEC monitors for my studio workstations, currently the PA-271.

RavingMac 02-16-2013 01:03 PM

Thanks.
I was leaning toward standard over Retina anyway, and I'll probably stick with the 15in.

xdunlapx 02-24-2013 12:26 AM

I just priced my mbp with the new "lower" prices. It costs $40 more this year than it did last year. The price did NOT go down.

pigoo3 02-24-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdunlapx (Post 1497866)
I just priced my mbp with the new "lower" prices. It costs $40 more this year than it did last year. The price did NOT go down.

It's ALWAYS important to pay attention to the details. The very FIRST sentence of the article clearly states:

"Apple is updating specs and dropping prices on select MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models."

The important word is "select" MBP and MBA models.

Secondly...ALL of the MacBook Pro models mentioned in the article are RETINA MacBook Pro's. The non-retina MacBook Pro's were NOT updated.

From what I can tell from your profile...you have a non-retina MBP.

HTH,:)

- Nick

xdunlapx 02-24-2013 01:05 AM

Good point. I missed that.

cherry_bomb 02-24-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infocusinc (Post 1496121)

Thank you for your thoughts! Sorry for my delayed response.

My needs mostly revolve around writing and net surfing (I will sometimes have 15-25 tabs going at a time), streaming music, movies, etc. Some photo manipulation- I think speed is my biggest need. I don't think I run a hungry power workload- do I? LOL I have pretty much decided on the MBA 13", as long as it can do what I need I should be pleased.:Cool:

iggibar 02-24-2013 06:19 PM

Is it bad that I didn't even notice the difference? Still waiting for a Retina 15" with 16gb of ram to come up in the refurb list. The spec update on the 15" seems to be unnoticeable from tests.

infocusinc 03-03-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavingMac (Post 1496142)
Thanks.
I was leaning toward standard over Retina anyway, and I'll probably stick with the 15in.

Just an update....

I bought my wife a 13" retina this weekend and I must say having spent some time with the screen it is a big bump from the standard 13 screen. And the anti-glare coating works quite well.

RavingMac 03-03-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infocusinc (Post 1499827)
Just an update....

I bought my wife a 13" retina this weekend and I must say having spent some time with the screen it is a big bump from the standard 13 screen. And the anti-glare coating works quite well.

Ow!
Now I have to reopen my search when I had finally narrowed it down. :P

Just kidding, thanks for the input.

cherry_bomb 03-03-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavingMac (Post 1499840)
Ow!
Now I have to reopen my search when I had finally narrowed it down. :P

Just kidding, thanks for the input.

I know, right? I was all satisfied with my decision to go with the Air, convinced I had no real need for the retina, just a want. Now I'm really going to want it! LOL :Oops:

cherry_bomb 03-03-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggibar (Post 1498042)
Is it bad that I didn't even notice the difference? Still waiting for a Retina 15" with 16gb of ram to come up in the refurb list. The spec update on the 15" seems to be unnoticeable from tests.

The difference in quality of the displays?