New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple blames 17% drop in Mac sales on iMac supply constraints

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple blames 17% drop in Mac sales on iMac supply constraints

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

duh...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm beginning to suspect the demise of the iMac in the next five years or sooner. First, you make them so they can't be upgraded, then you blame poor sales on their unavailability. Yeah, right.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Unfortunately, I agree.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Yeah, I support the notions mentioned above....

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
AliOop

AliOop will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro.

Laptops and tablets are the wave of the future. They are getting powerful enough to do all one would want.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

While notebooks and tablets may be getting more powerful, they still lack the high resolution of a large screen. Which means now you not only have to spend big bucks on a power notebook but also a large external monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
noodlemanc

noodlemanc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm beginning to suspect the demise of the iMac in the next five years or sooner. First, you make them so they can't be upgraded, then you blame poor sales on their unavailability. Yeah, right.
More like the demise of all desktops - Most people just don't need em' anymore...
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlemanc View Post
More like the demise of all desktops - Most people just don't need em' anymore...
I don't see that happening. Not for a good decade or two. You get so much more bang for the buck with a desktop and if you want something mobile, you have a tablet (or smartphone). I understand the pros may need notebooks like the MBP for when they're on the go, but there are more than enough average users/consumers that can't justify a MBP when an iMac or Mac Mini with an iPad will suffice.

There's a place in the market share for each device. Right now you're just seeing a "correction", to use a stock market term, because the MBPs and Airs are improving in performance and display. But desktops won't completely disappear. Maybe transform as technology improves. Maybe built into the wall or into your TV. Or some other sci-fi options.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Decade or two? No way. I see it happening a lot sooner. Go into any store that sells computers and what do you see? Four or five counter rows of notebook machines and maybe one or two desktops off in the corner somewhere. And guess what? The desktops you do see are copy cats of the iMac. (Re: Sony and HP)
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Decade or two? No way. I see it happening a lot sooner. Go into any store that sells computers and what do you see? Four or five counter rows of notebook machines and maybe one or two desktops off in the corner somewhere. And guess what? The desktops you do see are copy cats of the iMac. (Re: Sony and HP)
I don't know about "any store that sells computers", but I was specifically addressing the earlier speculation in this thread about the iMac line going away. I don't pretend to know the future, but I guess time will tell if iMacs last another decade or two ...or less.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yep. The iMac is a nice machine and I love mine, but I see a limited future for them. I hope I'm wrong, but the way Apple is "evolving" them, (making them thinner, no optical drive, non upgradeable) the next step in their evolution may be one of invisibility.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

To be completely fair, Oppenheimer spelled this out quite explicitly in the conference call:

1. We can't make the iMacs fast enough, and if we had been able to, we would have sold about 1M more.

2. There were 13 weeks in the quarter this year, compared to 14 weeks last year. We sell an average of 330,000 per week.

Bottom line: without these two factors, Apple would have sold exactly as many Macs as analysts had predicted. Today, we've gotten news that production problems have finally been resolved and that supply should improve over the next few weeks. If that actually happens, then we'll know the truth.

On the long-term future of the iMac, I'd say my colleagues are premature on reports of its demise. But I'd bet good money that this next Mac Pro will be the last one ever produced. You want to talk about a computer "nobody" needs anymore, that's it. Thunderbolt and other factors have rendered that machine incredibly niche now.

The iMac I think has a number of good years ahead of it. Yes, the iPad is supplanting it as a consumer desktop, but I think it has quite a bright future as a pro-level workstation -- essentially replacing the Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Steve Jobs allegedly threatened Palm with patent suit to force anti-poaching agreemen | Apple shifting its guidance to stop being blamed for "missing" analyst expectations »