New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Slashes iPhone 5 Part Orders Due to Weak Demand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Apple Slashes iPhone 5 Part Orders Due to Weak Demand - MacRumors Forums

I'm not that surprised. The iPhone needs a change. The jump from the 3G/3GS to the 4/4S was a great jump, but not so from the 4/4S to the 5. Just as I've experienced, I'm sure there are a lot of people either trying another phone, or waiting it out till the 5S/6. Actually, the only people I know who have upgraded to the 5 were 3G/3GS users. No one I know with the 4/4S upgraded to it. My timing just happened to be perfect to test out another phone while also falling within the 5S/6 timing if need be.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Yeah, if they had made the screen size dimensions similar to the Samsung S3, I would have jumped on the iPhone 5, but I really didn't like the new screen design at all (I usually use the phone in portrait, so continuing the narrow feel while trying to read an email didn't thrill me). I moved to an S3 when my contract was up (I really wanted 4G since I am frequently in 4G territory). If Apple comes out with a phone with a screen with better dimensions, I'll switch back. It really was the screen that killed it for me..

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I wonder if part of the problem was they could not fill the orders when first announced and people just cancelled and ordered another brand.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I don't know - I don't *think* that was the problem, but I could be wrong. I only say this because in the past when a new iPhone came out, many who ordered had to wait to get their order filled and they didn't cancel in the past.

Now of course, it could be that people pre-ordered, while waiting saw what the phone was like and canceled...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The reason I said that was because I am on the AT&T forum and there were a lot of disgruntled people having to wait almost a month to get their phone.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
The reason I said that was because I am on the AT&T forum and there were a lot of disgruntled people having to wait almost a month to get their phone.
Not quite as bad as the Nexus 4 which is about as close as you can get to vapourware without actually being vapourware.

One of the benefits of the licensing model (think Android or Windows) is the competition that it fosters amongst licensees. In the Android market, you've got Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony and others competing for the best phone (even though Samsung pretty much dominates). In this case, phone makers have to work harder for your dollar. Compare this to the vertical model (think Apple) where the developers have a monopoly on a product. In other words, you want iOS, you buy an Apple device. This certainly has its benefits (fantastic integration and excellent compatibility between the layers) but the lack of competition within the same ecosystem may foster stagnancy. This is just a theory and might explain why some Android phones seem more "exciting." That's not to say that the iPhone can't be a good product (it's a fantastic phone and the consistency across the phones is leagues ahead of any Android device except for maybe the Nexus line) but rather, there is an effort needed to differentiate from competitors using the same platform that doesn't exist for Apple.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Reports say Apple iPhone parts orders cut in half

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I went from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. I had different reasons though - the main one being the iPhone 5 on Verizon in the US has an unlocked sim card slot. If I travel abroad I can pop whatever sim card I need into the slot.

Siri seems to have improved over the initial reports and Google Maps and Youtube are available now. That being said the upgrade seems incremental at best. I had a personal need as I will be traveling abroad - but that is a very niche reason to upgrade.

Now FTA - it seems that Apple was on tap with their suppliers for 65 million iPhones for this quarter. For the previous January to March (2012) the shipments for iPhones was 35.1 million. So cutting from 65 million to half - would put it at 32.5 million iPhones for the quarter. That would be a decline year over year which is why - I think the report is a little more significant.

The way Apple has been previously upgrading phones - most people wait at least 1 cycle (3 to 4 skip the 3s; 4 to 5 skip the 4s) which usually coincides with the 2 year upgrade of the cell providers. Of late - I've seen more people waiting 2 or more cycles. I've had several friends go from 3 to 5 (as mentioned previously) but in general no one I know is excited about the new iPhone 5 - they just wanted an upgrade that worked.

With the management shakeup - especially the head of iOS leaving - who knows what the iOS 7 will bring?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
The way Apple has been previously upgrading phones - most people wait at least 1 cycle (3 to 4 skip the 3s; 4 to 5 skip the 4s) which usually coincides with the 2 year upgrade of the cell providers. Of late - I've seen more people waiting 2 or more cycles. I've had several friends go from 3 to 5 (as mentioned previously) but in general no one I know is excited about the new iPhone 5 - they just wanted an upgrade that worked.
I know a few people with an iP4 or 4s who couldn't care less. I think the "cool factor" might be more acute in the Android world where there are many more devices and thus, more "one upmanship." I could be wrong but when there are fewer devices (especially when they generally look the same), there is less of an impulse to go new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
With the management shakeup - especially the head of iOS leaving - who knows what the iOS 7 will bring?
Who knows but I'd love to be excited about iOS again. As many will know, I like iOS and think it's solid but it's become increasingly underwhelming. Maybe I've just lucked out and had great experiences with Android on solid hardware (and I've had my fair share of terrible Android experiences...I'm looking at you Xperia Pro collecting dust in my desk drawer) but at least it seems exciting. Then again, I'm also the first to admit that if Windows Phone has decent Google integration, I'd jump ship without hesitation and I'd drop money for a nice Lumia.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

It feels like a wand. Long and skinny.

Not sure if that's good, or bad, but I tried a friends and did not like how the I5 felt or displayed.
QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

rukind2 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Air, 2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 500 SSD, 8G Ram

Double post
QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

rukind2 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Air, 2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 500 SSD, 8G Ram

I chose to stay with my 4S on Verizon instead of upgrading to the 5. Two primary factors: Screen size and case material. I want a screen size that is 4.5"+ for superior visual. The 5 aluminum case scratches/dings too easily and I don't want to hide the industrial beauty of the design. I do not use a case on my 4S. Love the gorilla glass back. Weight is fine with me. I imagine others are waiting for a larger device or have migrated to the android system.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Another link bait WSJ article from "people familiar with the situation".

Do a search on the WSJ journal site for "people familiar with the situation" and see how many articles come back.

Personally, I'll wait for the quarterlies to come in rather than the WSJ stock manipulation articles.

Worth a read:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...n-to-the-core/

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I went from the iPhone 4 to 5 and I'm really glad I did. I feel there's a great improvement in performance and speed and features. Not to mention how the 5 feels in my hand vs. the 4. I love Siri and although it isn't a perfect feature yet, it works great for whatever I've thrown at it so far. I thought I'd hate talking to my phone but after playing with it for a while I've really come around and use it for reminders and texting and searches, etc etc. I'll definitely be on a 2 yr renewal cycle from now on 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I thought I'd hate talking to my phone but after playing with it for a while I've really come around and use it for reminders and texting and searches, etc etc.
Welcome to my world. However, I still can't get over the mental block. There's something very odd about opening up Google Now and telling an inanimate object to do things for me.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Judge orders Apple CEO Tim Cook to be questioned in anti-poaching case | AT&T to enable FaceTime over cellular for all tiered data customers »