New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

T-Mobile USA iPhone coming in three to four months

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

T-Mobile USA iPhone coming in three to four months

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A bit optimistic according the T-Mobile folks at their stores. It's more like sometime in the next 6 months. However, this comes from their CEO so must be credible. T-Mobile has to invoke new frequencies to be compatible with the GSM version of the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
A bit optimistic according the T-Mobile folks at their stores. It's more like sometime in the next 6 months. However, this comes from their CEO so must be credible. T-Mobile has to invoke new frequencies to be compatible with the GSM version of the iPhone.
The iPhone 5 (with T-Mo SIM) is already receiving 3G service here in NYC. The LTE bands have yet to roll out, but I suspect that is what Apple is waiting for. As a matter of fact, T-Mo's service here is pretty darned spectacular, and beats out AT&T by a long shot. I've seen unlocked Verizon iPhone 5's with Tmobile SIM's in them getting a ping of 3ms on cellular! Dl speeds are very comparable with AT&T's and that's when in range of an AT&T amplifier.

Selfishly, I hope that the iPhone never goes to T-Mobile. I've been on their network now for the past month and a half, and I've been a lot more than pleasantly surprised by their overall network performance here in NYC. This used to be quite the opposite case, in fact.

I have an HSPA+ equipped phone that consistently gets download speeds between 15-19 Mbps and up of about 2.5 Mbps. And that's just HSPA 21... When they roll out LTE (which my phone is capable of utilizing) that will double.

Plus, I've never experienced better voice quality than now, and I've been with every single major network here. Having iPhone users hog up the bandwidth isn't something I'm looking forward to. Especially since I'm only paying $30 a month for unlimited data! Of course that unlimited service comes with a downside.. 100 minutes of talk time, but I'm able to circumvent that by using Vonage mobile as well as Google Voice.

What ever T-Mo is doing right now, they're doing it right. I can only hope they keep investing more into their infrastructure.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a T-Mobile customer here in DFW for around 6 years. Great service in the Metro areas but a bit spotty between Dallas and the other large cities. I'll probably get iPhones for my wife and I whenever T-Mobile and Apple are ready to deploy them.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The opposite appears to be true in Southern Cali. People I know who have TMo complain that when they go inside of a building, any building, they pretty much have no service. My oldest daughter and my in-laws were down for the hoilidays and none of them had any service inside of my house even, and I'm within sight of a cell tower that all 4 big services use. At this point I wouldn't touch TMo with a 10 food pole.

On a side note my brother in-law who is a TMo network engineer did say that they had signed an agreement with AT&T to share frequency bands across both companies.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Nothing new about T-Mobile sharing cell towers with AT&T. They've been doing it for years. Whenever we travel to remote areas of Texas we pick up AT&T instead of T-Mobile. I inquired of T-Mobile because I was afraid I would be charged for roaming, but they stated it was OK because they had an agreement with AT&T.

As for signal reception, it's great here in the DFW area metroplex, inside of buildings or otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Nothing new about T-Mobile sharing cell towers with AT&T. They've been doing it for years. Whenever we travel to remote areas of Texas we pick up AT&T instead of T-Mobile. I inquired of T-Mobile because I was afraid I would be charged for roaming, but they stated it was OK because they had an agreement with AT&T.

As for signal reception, it's great here in the DFW area metroplex, inside of buildings or otherwise.
Let me clarify. The bands I was speaking of are for 3G, 4G and LTE. Right now in SoCal an iPhone will only get EDGE on TMo since the 3G bands and above are not compatable.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, that's correct. Using an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile means EDGE only, at least for right now. The T-Mobile phones (not smart phones) my wife and I have are able to receive 3G but are not 4G LTE capable. My Verizon iPad 3 is LTE capable and for the most part, picks up a strong signal most everywhere we go.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Yes, that's correct.
I know it's correct. That's why I stated it.

Quote:
Using an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile means EDGE only, at least for right now. .
As I stated above, that will be changing as my brother in law told me. Supposedly it'll be 4-6 months out.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Unlocked iPhone 5's do better than EDGE in some cities. NYC in particular. They rolled out the bands in several large cities, and 3G is up and running, though unofficially supported.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

rukind2 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Air, 2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 500 SSD, 8G Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The opposite appears to be true in Southern Cali. People I know who have TMo complain that when they go inside of a building, any building, they pretty much have no service. My oldest daughter and my in-laws were down for the hoilidays and none of them had any service inside of my house even, and I'm within sight of a cell tower that all 4 big services use. At this point I wouldn't touch TMo with a 10 food pole.

On a side note my brother in-law who is a TMo network engineer did say that they had signed an agreement with AT&T to share frequency bands across both companies.
Ironic since T'Mobile's CEO called ATT's network crap.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I never pay attention to what the competition says about each other. For example, if you believe all the propaganda put out by Verizon and AT&T as to whose network has more 4G, I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
I never pay attention to what the competition says about each other. For example, if you believe all the propaganda put out by Verizon and AT&T as to whose network has more 4G, I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.
First you have to believe that HSPA+ is 4G - then AT&T has the largest 4G network. The best way to put it is with a story. My friend had the iPhone - one day it said AT&T 3G. The next morning it said AT&T 4G on the status bar. It wasn't any faster - the name just changed. (Thank T-Mobile for that marketing mess)

Second - as long as you are in a 4G LTE location - AT&T does show faster speeds over Verizon. Hence - the fastet 4G LTE network.

Verizon does claim it has the largest 4G LTE network - but to the average consumer - what is the difference between 4G and 4G LTE? Actually not a whole lot anyway as HSPA+ can reach decent speeds. LTE has potential for much faster speeds but people don't pay attention to that. They run speedtest and see what they get.

Too much jargon - but I think that is what marketers like - to dazzle you with BS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rumor: Apple planning low-cost iPhone with larger display for late 2013 | Apple wins patent for glass-on-metal trackpad designed by Jobs & Ive »