New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Consumer Reports ranks iPhone 5 below several Android phones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Consumer Reports ranks iPhone 5 below several Android phones

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

It'll be interesting to see the reasoning.

One thing I've noticed is that screens are getting bigger but resolution is staying the same 720p (I know there are some 1080p devices out there now - but they are just coming out) It reminds me of the same problem with computer monitors. Everyone is putting out 24" or 27" monitors but they are all 1080p - My old 24" was 1920x1200 - so even though monitors have gotten bigger - the resolution/pixel density has gone down.

I also question a review that has Verizon's One and Two phone - being the Razr Maxx and Razr HD - where it is the same phone - except the Razr Maxx has a larger battery (is slightly thicker) and more memory.
Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD review

Also note that it is a 2 point spread between the top and bottom - so I wouldn't call that killing the iPhone.

Anyway - If Samsung comes up with a 1080p Note 3 - that would certainly turn my head.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Must be distressing the dashed things sell so well!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Also note that it is a 2 point spread between the top and bottom - so I wouldn't call that killing the iPhone.
Herein lies the essence of any review - all "results" are subjective. This review says little about how I or anyone uses or enjoys a phone just as a review noting that the "iPhone is the best phone ever!" says little in terms of personal experience. This is not to say that reviews are useless but that they should always be read in light of every other review and personal preference. In other words, it's always important to note that this two point "lead" is someone's opinion and, as you rightly note, certainly doesn't imply that the iPhone is a bad mobile device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Must be distressing the dashed things sell so well!
So do a lot of phones. Sales figures don't say anything about quality. For instance, BlackBerries still sell well (at least here in Canada) and I'm not sure I'd be putting them on this list. If sales figures did matter, you'd have the Galaxy S3 at the top and the iPhone in second spot.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Aren't these the same folks who rated the iPhone 4 a "don't buy" a year or so back? Does anyone care what CR says anymore? They lost their objectivity, and usefulness, a long time ago IMO.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
They lost their objectivity, and usefulness, a long time ago IMO.
So has everyone else. I'm not sure how the lack of objectivity here differs from any other reviewer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

CR is really hit and miss when they rate stuff in my opinion. I often find that the perspective of their writers is nowhere close to my own on the intangibles that ultimately steer my decision one way or the other. I remember looking at a new SUV back in 2008 and they put one at the top of the pack based on various luxury features, cup holders and ride quality. This particular SUV sucked at being an actual SUV (couldn't tow much, no true 4 wheel drive or low range, little rear cargo space, not even a limited slip differential) but excelled at being a "car with a lift kit". It's perspective I guess, and from theirs it was the "best". I use CR for some things like dishwashers and vacuum cleaners, but that about it.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

And yet. Apple's iOS edges Android in US during holidays, study says | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I remember looking at a new SUV back in 2008 and they put one at the top of the pack based on various luxury features, cup holders and ride quality.
...cup holders? Please tell me that's a joke (oh please!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Sales figures don't say anything about quality. For instance, BlackBerries still sell well (at least here in Canada) and I'm not sure I'd be putting them on this list. If sales figures did matter, you'd have the Galaxy S3 at the top and the iPhone in second spot.
Remember, usage numbers doesn't equal best. If that were the case, Windows would be the best operating system beyond a shadow of a doubt and the best car in the world would be the Toyota Corolla. Thus, just because the iPhone was the most popular device for a 12 week period does not make it an obviously better choice. The same goes for Android - just because it has a considerably larger share of the market doesn't make it a better platform.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
...cup holders? Please tell me that's a joke (oh please.
Nope. True story. I think it was the RAV4 or CRV or something that won - been awhile. They specifically called out the cup holders (and a few other things like auxiliary power connection points) as giving it an "edge" over the Jeep Wrangler and other SUV's. Cups holders... and a no low-range 4x4 system... give the RAV4 an "edge" over a Jeep... in a 4x4 utility vehicle category... What a world!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I lost faith in CR on their audio video choices since that has been part of my living and hobby for as long as I can remember it made me wonder who was doing the actual testing and compared to what.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple hunting for 802.11ac Wi-Fi experts | Apple CEO Tim Cook makes second trip to China in 10 months »