New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

The New Macbook pro


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Redbull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

4x the speed of a Powerbook and duel core Intel with integrated iSight camera.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Does anyone know where the 17" model mac book pro is.... or when we might see one i was due to buy the lastest 17" powerbook from the usa when i travel there in May i have found it for 1850 Compared to apple's price of 2495.
i do like the macbook pro its fast but its only 15.4" not 17"


http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...=sku&sku=23811
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

It would be good to see a 17'' Macbook pro, but I can't imagine the cost.

I can't work out some of Apple's pricey over the last seven months. I paid 1150 for my 17'' PB, 1.67GZ, 100GB, 7500rmp with 1 GB of RAM and an iSight.

The equivalent of today's PB with a resolution update and longer battery life accordance costs a whooping 1700?! 550 difference just for two updates?

Shocking to say at least.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 19, 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 320
Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Pierre is offline
Yep. Apple does overprice.

But I'd rather pay more and get a good product than pay less just to pay less.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I dont know what it is with apple and their prices, why in the uk do we have to pay more for apple products than people in the usa for the same product?

I worked out with a decent exchange rate i can pick up either the 17" powerbook or the 15.4" mac book pro with a saving of around 350.

Im so confused i fell in love with the Powerbook 17" now they bring out 15.4" Intel Version, you can bet i fly out to the usa by my mac book pro and as im flying back they will either drop the price or launch a new 17" size doh!!
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2005
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 454
homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

homer_j is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDelicious
Does anyone know where the 17" model mac book pro is.... or when we might see one i was due to buy the lastest 17" powerbook from the usa when i travel there in May i have found it for 1850 Compared to apple's price of 2495.
i do like the macbook pro its fast but its only 15.4" not 17"


http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...=sku&sku=23811
Was that inclusive of tax? When I looked and found that some stores didn't include tax due to the different tax systems in different states.. If you are buying new from a reseller then there shouldn't be that much difference in the prices..

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

 
EDIT-XTREEM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 27, 2005
Location: In the mac store and at home on my iMac
Posts: 1,165
EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

EDIT-XTREEM is offline
Look at this artical:

Bloggers hate 'MacBook Pro'

From http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-602...6231&subj=news

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer_j
Was that inclusive of tax? When I looked and found that some stores didn't include tax due to the different tax systems in different states.. If you are buying new from a reseller then there shouldn't be that much difference in the prices..
Yea that includes state of California Tax which is 8.5% Total Price $1850
and it is the latest powerbook with the new brighter screen etc..i will be going there to pick it up rather than have it delivered so that will save a little too.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDelicious
I dont know what it is with apple and their prices, why in the uk do we have to pay more for apple products than people in the usa for the same product?
Blame Gordon Brown. I've bought many products from USA (imported) and saved at least 850 in the last 14 months.

But it is a risk if you buy aboard.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull
Blame Gordon Brown. I've bought many products from USA (imported) and saved at least 850 in the last 14 months.

But it is a risk if you buy aboard.
Yea i do blame him, what i find really annoying is when it was almost $2 for the pound Gorden Brown ie the government put a limit on what you could bring back to the UK as they didnt want you spending money in the usa as they would miss out on all there precious tax (like they dont tax us enough as it is) :mad:

When i go the store i am going to test the mac book pro / powerbook depending on which one i buy make sure its fully working with no dead pixels etc...

When you imported from the US did you have to pay any more duty? i havent tried importing yet. i am going to the US on holiday so i thought i might as make use of the cheap prices...
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDelicious
When you imported from the US did you have to pay any more duty? i havent tried importing yet. i am going to the US on holiday so i thought i might as make use of the cheap prices...
Well, you pay for the shipping cost first on top of the original cost. Then import duty is usually around 4.2%, then possibly a custom fee, once all added charges have been made, this is what annoys me most, VAT!! :mad: They always use VAT charge on the final cost, not the cost in the first place.

There have been occasions where, by coincidence, you do avoid some of those charges. Depends on the company you buy from, usually.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Cheers Redbull i will look into it importing could be the way forward i just hope they will iron out any hardware & software issues with he mac book pro before i fly out to the USA and hopefully launch a 17" model..
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

 
Member Since: Dec 01, 2005
Posts: 169
Smartz is on a distinguished road

Smartz is offline
I find this amount of fuss over the name to be a joke in itself. To be honest I never call my Imac an Imac I usually just say My Mac. When I refer to a Powerbook in the office and am around non-techy people I say the Mac laptop.

Perhaps its me and i like a "does what it says on the tin" approach but MacBook Pro is alright to me, surely the hardware speaks for itself, plus i find it so cring-worthy when i hear computers with names like sexual lubricant for example Dell's Xps sounds like something you'd catch off a hooker or Vaio from Sony, which my dad said sounded like washing up powder.

Whats in a name?????

Powerbook or not there may have been other reasons for the name change.......we can but wonder!
QUOTE Thanks
lurch104
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDelicious
Yea that includes state of California Tax which is 8.5% Total Price $1850
and it is the latest powerbook with the new brighter screen etc..i will be going there to pick it up rather than have it delivered so that will save a little too.
On your way to CA, if you can schedule a layover in Philadelphia, the Christiana Mall Mac store in Delaware is only about 1/2 hour away.

Delaware=NO SALES TAX!

I live in Harrisburg PA, but drove right past the King of Prussia Mac store to buy in Delawae to save soo $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenDelicious
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch104
On your way to CA, if you can schedule a layover in Philadelphia, the Christiana Mall Mac store in Delaware is only about 1/2 hour away.

Delaware=NO SALES TAX!

I live in Harrisburg PA, but drove right past the King of Prussia Mac store to buy in Delawae to save soo $$$.
Cheers for that i will consider it nice one
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« "Mobile Me" trademark and Apple | Apple and the Channel Islands »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
The new MacBook Pro touchpad darkwingkevin Apple Notebooks 15 01-16-2006 02:19 PM
17" PowerBook or 15.4" MacBook Pro Everett Schweb's Lounge 4 01-14-2006 07:22 PM
Anyone have pics of the new Macbook Pro Spinisr Schweb's Lounge 5 01-11-2006 04:53 PM
setting up a powermac blue and white for pro tools free.. sean1978 Music, Audio, and Podcasting 3 10-03-2005 08:50 AM
Apple releases FCP 4, Shake 3 and DVD Studio Pro Fluid Apple Rumors and Reports 1 04-08-2003 12:56 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?