New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

New Intel Chips...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Are these new Intel chips 64-bit processors? If not what then what was all the hype about the G5 being a 64-bit processor? I thought Mac OS X was a 64-bit OS. If not, I guess people will be out of luck once Mac OS X and it's programs become 64-bit.
QUOTE Thanks
macanal

macanal can only hope to improve

Im not sure Mac OSX is a 64Bit OS how would it run on G4s then?

In any case i think its fine for Apple to use Intel for its Laptops but i have a G5 and i wont buy another Apple if they have Crappy Dual xeons even if they are the 64Bit models!! Do they have dual Core xeons yet?

I would much rather Dual, twin core Opterons.

I mean what are they going to do at the keynote tell us now the dual Xeons are faster then the Dual G5's when for years they have told us the G5s are faster!?

I think they will wait for the dual Core Xeons to be released for the G5 replacements.
I do like intel for note books thats sweet, but Intels desktop Chips suck hairy dogs balls.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

osx is 64/32bit.
**wrong**intel duo is 64bit (or so i thought they said in the keynote.. but let me double check)

Intel duo is 32bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Jewel

^ so theyre not going form 64-bit g5 processors to 32? first post. registered because i also just purchased an imac and they release this new one

so if the new intels are 64-bit would it be reasonable to trade in for the intel duo?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I don't know what they are going to do with the 64bit progress they made... Later in the year will tell us I guess.

But so far it looks like the Duo is faster than the 64bit.. atleast since 1 64bit vs 2 32bit..

also look at the differences in the iMac on the store page.. you do not get the built in airport or blue tooth in the g5...
QUOTE Thanks
Jewel

Yea i got the Blue tooth and Airport for my G5

yea it just irritates me that 1 they make a 32 bit faster and 2. the ygo back to 4 bit and they released the duo 2 weeks after i bough tmine haha guess i got OWNED
QUOTE Thanks
jamin

jamin is on a distinguished road

64 bit does not equate faster or more performance over 32 bit.
In some cases 64 bit code is slower then 32 bit code.

The reason for going to 64 bit is for the additional Memory space that can be addressed. 32 bit processors can only address 4 GB of RAM. Intel has some hacks that make Xeons address more. 64 bit CPUs can address a terabyte of RAM.

So does the average Joe require a 64 bit Processor? I don't think so. I think 4 GB of RAM is more then enough for a desktop OS. Now if I were running a Server I can see having a 64 bit processor.

In any case I am sure that the PowerMac replacements will be using a different Processor then the Yonah which will have a 64 bit processor. I think these will be the last systems to be brought over to use Intel CPU's.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe the Xserve and the Mac Tower (PowerMac) will remain 64bit when they are switched over to the intel chip. The Mac Book Pro, maybe include the 64bit chip later.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin
64 bit does not equate faster or more performance over 32 bit.
In some cases 64 bit code is slower then 32 bit code.
Depends entirely on what you are doing, if you need 64 bit accuracy then the 64 bit processor will blow away the 32 bit every time. If otoh you only need 32 bit then 64 bit will not gain you much.

I recently tried out the 64 bit version of XP on my AMD-64 systems and it blows away the 32 bit version in everything it does so there is obviously some gain there. Similarly I downloaded the 64 bit version of Far Cry and it is awesome to behold so obviously games can make use of the extra bits, not only is it much faster but it can handle an order of magnitude more objects (for example when you go for a swim in the sea you are surrounded by a huge variety of fish, the 32 bit version doesn't do this).

The top 100 super computer systems will continue to be populated by 64 bit systems (mainly PowerPC) for a while to come, AMD are making inroads with the Opteron solutions but I expect the next year to be the year of the Cell processor. I expect the high end solutions (i.e the likes of Pixar) will start to be filled with bespoke Cell solutions rather than AMD or Intel, we may even see some really brave bods put together a 2000+ PS3 supercomputer system and challenge the dominance of the Power 5 systems at a fraction of the cost although we have yet to see what Power 6 will bring.

Apple have placed themselves in the position where they can continue to develop power apps for PPC & possibly Cell systems whilst at the same time being able to produce identical Intel coded apps for use on the low end, this is a good thing btw.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
I recently tried out the 64 bit version of XP on my AMD-64 systems and it blows away the 32 bit version in everything it does so there is obviously some gain there. Similarly I downloaded the 64 bit version of Far Cry and it is awesome to behold so obviously games can make use of the extra bits, not only is it much faster but it can handle an order of magnitude more objects (for example when you go for a swim in the sea you are surrounded by a huge variety of fish, the 32 bit version doesn't do this).

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY3LDQ=
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
The problem with just measuring framerates is that all you are really doing is measuring the speed of the graphics hardware and hardware drivers, neither of these elements has changed so I wouldn't expect any increase in FPS. The important thing to note is that there is a lot more ON the screen.

The game certainly feels faster and plays better although some of that improvement is probably due to the underlying windows changes and the fact that it is a clean install.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
dstopsky

dstopsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
also look at the differences in the iMac on the store page.. you do not get the built in airport or blue tooth in the g5...
huh? you sure you aren't looking at the apple store from 9 months ago, cause both bluetooth and airport have been standard on the iMac for awhile now, and still are on both models.

For Sale: Dreamweaver MX 2004 Academic Edition, Sony PSP with 3 Games, Dymo Turbo Laser Printer, Sony HD Camcorder with 3 new Mini DV Tapes
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Windows on Intel Macs, yet.... | Mac getting like Sony? »