New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Ipod Camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bman5631

Bman5631 is on a distinguished road

I have heard form a sorce that apple plans to release an ipod with a camera, similar to a camera cell phone. I do not know when it will be released, but i have word it may come in summer of 06. All things stated in this thread are speculations and are not confirmed by apple executives at the time being.

(please excuse my bad spelling)
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

That would be a very cool product, but what is your source?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

OMG that's MY IDEA THAT I SUBMITTED TO THEM!!! I feel very special right now

QUOTE Thanks
quanz

worst idea ever.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

wouldent it be kinda horrible quality? and doesnt the ipod support digital cameras if you plug it in and download all the photos to the ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I think you have to have an adaptor to do that. I can't imagine the quality of something like this would be any better than a CellPhone, and you wouldn't be able to e-mail it directly off the iPod.

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

There are two ways for looking at this: Either Apple's philosphy of the iPod is it being their handheld device that goes with iLife, so it delivers all the mdia for it and carries all media managed by it, OR...

the more probable answer: The new Video iPod is meant for carrying short clips, especially Music Videos and the TV-Shows.
But basically Apple's going to keep it to a player. Building in a camera would make the ipod horribly huge and expensive, not even Jonathan Ive can manage that sort of thing.

And it's absolutely unnecessary. People who have proper large iPods will also have proper large digital cameras (I clearly express my dislike for n00b ipod-shufflers here... the iPod has become some sort of supid device people use with PC's... but hey, as long as it helps apple...let sucky pc users use them.)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
the more probable answer: The new Video iPod is meant for carrying short clips, especially Music Videos and the TV-Shows.
But basically Apple's going to keep it to a player. Building in a camera would make the ipod horribly huge and expensive, not even Jonathan Ive can manage that sort of thing.
I would submit that the iPod Video is a stepping stone to a full-blown Video iPod. One complete with larger storage capacity, better resolution and better battery life. I think Apple is simply testing the waters to see if the market, both consumers and content providers, are ready for the next step.

Doing what the OP suggests pushes the iPod more towards a cellphone like device, which while I suspect Apple may expand into that market with a separate product, is not likely the road for the iPod itself.

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

simple answer: no
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder
wouldent it be kinda horrible quality? and doesnt the ipod support digital cameras if you plug it in and download all the photos to the ipod?
Horrible picture quality didn't stop the camera-on-cellphone craze. Wasn't this discussed elsewhere? The consensus was that even if it came out, it would just be an accessory.

Even as an addon it's stupid. But I should reread my own post. The only good idea is to use the ipod as a portable storage device for a digicam. 60 gigs of space is way better than anything currently out. Photographers can take A LOT of pictures without having to pop in a new memory card.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

JVC already makes a Hard Disk Camcorder, and its a piece of crap. Granted they are a different manucaturer.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredfield
JVC already makes a Hard Disk Camcorder, and its a piece of crap. Granted they are a different manucaturer.
Going a bit OT here. What's crappy about it? I really don't know anything about the player, but I have seen it in stores and have had my eye on it. HDD (or large flash) based seems to be the next big thing in Camcorders. I figure the next one I buy will be a HDD based camera. Just curious.

QUOTE Thanks
hoohoo3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
OMG that's MY IDEA THAT I SUBMITTED TO THEM!!! I feel very special right now
yeah dude i'm pretty sure your not the only one who had that idea..........yea
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

I think something apple should look into is an expandable memory slot for the nano, sandisk (wether you know or not) have released something that is extremely similar to the nano, roughly the same size, same storage but has the ability to increase it's memory. Sandisk E200 clicky

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
w...b

w...b is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive

you want to know what apple really needs to make, a tablet book
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS on PC -- What? | Apple Files for Gesture Input Patent »