New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Purported 13" Retina MacBook Pro benchmarks appear, launch rumored before Oct.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Purported 13" Retina MacBook Pro benchmarks appear, launch rumored before Oct.

Quote:
As benchmarks for an unreleased MacBook Pro running a previously unknown build of Mountain Lion have appeared, a new rumor suggests Apple could launch its 13-inch Retina display MacBook Pro before October of this year.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Goodbye nice upgradable MBP's!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Depending on the price, I could actually be interested in this one.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Depending on the price, I could actually be interested in this one.
Just add $400 to the current price of the two different 13" MBP models and that should give us an approximation of the cost. Probably also need to add $50 to the cost of Apple care.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Pretty much a "no-brainer" idea. We already have a 15" retina MBP...a 13" model was bound to follow.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That would be depressing unless they are actually going to put a real GPU in there. That would be a lot of pixels for the HD4000 to deal with and I have doubts on whether it can provide a quality experience.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
That would be depressing unless they are actually going to put a real GPU in there. That would be a lot of pixels for the HD4000 to deal with and I have doubts on whether it can provide a quality experience.
Very true...unless there was some sort of massive advancement with integrated graphics. It would certainly be the first time a 13" MBP came with a dedicated gpu.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very true...unless there was some sort of massive advancement with integrated graphics. It would certainly be the first time a 13" MBP came with a dedicated gpu.
Adding a dedicated GPU to a Retina 13" MBP will jack the price up even more....
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Adding a dedicated GPU to a Retina 13" MBP will jack the price up even more....
If they put a dedicated GPU in it I'm sold. I would love to have something that combined the best of the 15in MBP and the MBA in the smaller format.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm with you. When I compare the Retina display on my 3rd generation iPad with my 2011 iMac, it's no contest. Don't know if I can sell my "treasurer" on spending more bucks on another computer though.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
If they put a dedicated GPU in it I'm sold. I would love to have something that combined the best of the 15in MBP and the MBA in the smaller format.
Im with you. I would happily upgrade my 13" 2010 model to a new Retina Display. Prices here in Aust are actually online with what you have over there now.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

There's probably a fair number of buyers who purposely buy the 15" MBP's because of the dedicated gpu. If a retina 13" MBP comes with a dedicated gpu (because it may need it)...then there may be a lot less reasons (at least for a segment of 15" MBP buyers) to buy 15" MBP's.

On the other hand...maybe there's some sort of "slick" integrated graphics hardware out there that can handle it...or some sort of "slick" software that will allow a 13" MBP to run a retina display.

I'm not really sure...but how does "horsepower" of the graphics hardware in the iPad 3/new iPad (which is driving a 9.7" retina display)...compare to the integrated graphics of a 13" MBP. Anyone know?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Anyone know what resolution this 13" might have? The new 15" is already incredibly taxing on the GPU. I don't even want to know what the experience might be like with integrated graphics.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Anyone know what resolution this 13" might have? The new 15" is already incredibly taxing on the GPU. I don't even want to know what the experience might be like with integrated graphics.
That right there is part of the problem even with the 15" - by default it's using the HD4000, and reading Anandtechs discussion on performance for general use of the retina (see: AnandTech - The next-gen MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review ) we don't know how much the GT650m is being used but I'd have to guess that for just general viewing it's primarily using the HD4000 which seems to struggle to even maintain 30fps for many common (mundane) actions.

Granted, the 13" screen would be slightly lower resolution then the 15", but still the amount of pixels to push I feel IMHO is just too much for an integrated GPU like the HD4000 (yes, the HD4000 is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the HD3000, but still...)

I wonder who writes the drivers for the GPU for OSX - if it's Apple or Intel when it comes to the HD4000 - if it's Intel that might even be part of the problem since they've never been the best at creating high quality GPU drivers.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I wonder who writes the drivers for the GPU for OSX - if it's Apple or Intel when it comes to the HD4000 - if it's Intel that might even be part of the problem since they've never been the best at creating high quality GPU drivers.
My understanding is it's a joint effort but primarily driven by Intel. Which makes sense since they're pushing their new on board GPU chipsets to the limit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Image spotted on Apple's website hints at iWork '11 | Apple's next iPod nano may resemble tiny iPhone, feature dedicated iTunes service »