New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Says New Models, Designs for iMac, Mac Pro In Works, Due in 2013

Thread Closed

Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

If you need a new desktop Mac, maybe you should just go ahead and get one instead of waiting...

Apple Says New Models, Designs for iMac, Mac Pro In Works, Due in 2013 - Forbes

2013 is really vague. That could be in 6 months or 1.5 years away.
maclook

maclook has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram

This really irks me. I was going to upgrade my iMac that I bought in 07(which works flawlessly). I can't upgrade my current iMac to Lion because of RAM limitations, so at the end of June when mobile me expires, I won't be able upgrade to iCloud or purchase the latest iMac. I wish Apple had thought about this an planned a new iMac release prior to dropping mobile me. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of people with the same issue.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What's wrong with buying the latest iMac? You've owned yours since 2007, surely the Mid 2011 iMacs would be a significant improvement and upgrade over what you have now.
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Why not just get the current iMac it's still an exceptionally capable machine?

But that aside Lions specs state 2gb required when your Mac can take a maximum of 3gb

So you could just upgrade the RAM and install Lion....

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
maclook

After purchasing my current iMac at the end of a cycle, I would rather try to get something at the beginning of a cycle so I don't end up in my current situation. Once again, this iMac is great. The fact that Apple is forcing me to upgrade my software & not provide new hardware seems like poor planning. I have the 3Gb ram installed because someone at the Apple store told me to go ahead & do that to upgrade to Lion. The next time I was at the store another person(who was more knowledgeable) than the first person I talked to said not to do it because Lion really uses closer to 3Gb of ram & to undo the upgrade if there were problems was not as simple as past OSX upgrades.
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly the choice is yours. I don't believe anything is being forced upon you. The current iMacs are still very capable. Sure, you could wait til next year. But then there's always that other killer reason to hold of for the next thing just over the brow of the hill......

My iMac is running Lion, albeit newer than yours, currently has iTunes restoring an iPhone 4, Safari open with 4 tabs active, Time Machine backing up and the spotify desktop app playing music. Activity manager is showing 2.08gb ram active.
I have a White 2.16ghz MacBook showing similar ram usage. Obviously I don't know about your usage. Clearly some activities use more ram than others.

You can always use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your Mac. Install Lion. If it's not a great experience you can use CCC to put it back exactly as it was. Or you can wait for next years iMacs or get a current one or none of the above.

The choice is obviously yours but for the entry price into Lion and a little of your time isn't it worth a go?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

It seems they've updated the article. Cook confirmed a big Mac Pro refresh in 2013 but said nothing about the iMac.

This could mean that the iMac could come sooner. Take it for what it's worth.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclook View Post
This really irks me. I was going to upgrade my iMac that I bought in 07(which works flawlessly). I can't upgrade my current iMac to Lion because of RAM limitations, so at the end of June when mobile me expires, I won't be able upgrade to iCloud or purchase the latest iMac. I wish Apple had thought about this an planned a new iMac release prior to dropping mobile me. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of people with the same issue.
A 2007 iMac will take 4GB ram and run Lion quite well. Am typing on one now. Actually if it's a late 2007 iMac it will go to 6GB RAM with a Ram Kit from OWC.

What are the exact specs of your iMac please?
maclook

Yes Adric, I saw that & it brings a little hope. I'll have to stay tuned.

@mrplow... I disagree about not being forced. The last iMac has been out since May of 2011. They are ending a service that forces me to purchase hardware that was released over a year ago. So the next time I need to upgrade I know I will have lost over a years time on the longevity of my next Apple purchase.
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Don't worry about Mobile me. It's dead in the water and nothing you were doing with it will carry over in the same exact way. So it's pretty much crying over spilt milk at this point. If I was in your position, I'd move on over to iCloud. There's really no reason to stick with the former at this point as far as I know. And of course, if you have any photos stored on iDisk or otherwise, get that stuff off and backed up.

Doug
Yog

Yog is on a distinguished road

I can now sense that there is a long wait for me then. I would patiently wait for the newer MacPro. I just can't buy next gen MBP 15" regardless as I am currently using 17" and 15" will be a bit compromise, unless Apple releases 17"
maclook

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4
Serial Number (system): W865051PVUV
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2CA8868
maclook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Don't worry about Mobile me. It's dead in the water and nothing you were doing with it will carry over in the same exact way. So it's pretty much crying over spilt milk at this point. If I was in your position, I'd move on over to iCloud. There's really no reason to stick with the former at this point as far as I know. And of course, if you have any photos stored on iDisk or otherwise, get that stuff off and backed up.

Doug
I have an iPad & iPhone that will work with iCloud, but if I can't sync the iMac with those devices, it's going to be a headache.
JOHNNY-2007

JOHNNY-2007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 imac 21" 16gb ram, Ipad 3, Iphone 4s & Apple Tv 2

HI Guys,

I'm a relatively new OS X user (2010) and this will be my first post.

The main reason I joined the forum was to get users advise on the situation I'm in.

Currently I have a Late 2009 iMac bought in about April 2010. My intention prior to WWDC was to sell this iMac so I could upgrade to the latest when its came out (presuming shortly after WWDC).

The reason I wanted to upgrade is I'm the 3.06ghz processor is tending to lag up a little when streaming video to my Apple Tv using Video Stream.

Also, not having an abundance of $$ was also a major factor in selling this 2009 iMac before being to left behind and the resale value dropping too much.

Now that there has been no announcement of a new iMac, I have no idea what to do... Its already on eBay I'm not sure if to cancel or let it go & upgrade to the only slightly better 2011 model range, or what to do.

Any advice would be great!
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclook View Post
Yes Adric, I saw that & it brings a little hope. I'll have to stay tuned.

@mrplow... I disagree about not being forced. The last iMac has been out since May of 2011. They are ending a service that forces me to purchase hardware that was released over a year ago. So the next time I need to upgrade I know I will have lost over a years time on the longevity of my next Apple purchase.
Fair enough. But the only one 'forcing' you is you. Your so concerned with not getting an extra year out of hardware you haven't bought yet but you're happy to discarded existing hardware that you state 'works flawlessly' when you could keep it for a year until 'maybe' new iMacs come out....assuming they are deprecated completely!

You have choices and options. Ending the service does not force you to buy new hardware. Particularly when your existing hardware WILL WORK with the replacement service. The drive here is all yours. You want the latest hardware...... that's fine. Why not get a new new MBP and a screen instead on an iMac?

Thread Closed

« Apple pulls Messages for Mac beta ahead of Mountain Lion | FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3 »