Post Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says
    Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says

J. Crew CEO and Apple board member Mickey Drexler claims that the tech giant's co-founder Steve Jobs had aspirations of designing a full-fledged automobile.

Read more

While I can't help but wonder what Jobs would have come up with, I rather like the idea of an iPad being like a car's "central computer." Slide it into the dash, and you can control your radio with vocal SIRI commands, answer Skype calls, get updated maps over 4G for your GPS, record memos, load up Radarscope when the clouds get thick, interface with car sensors that can tell you when tires are too low, report on your fuel economy, and more. The goons in the garage hook up to the computer to diagnose problems - and maybe there's an iPad app for that too -- with an instructional eBook -- for the do-it-yourself types

And, then, of course, you can pull the iPad out to continue on your way -- keeping all your data with you at home or the office. Scotty, I'm ready to beam up.

Going Galt...
    Computers/gadgets and the auto industry are light years apart IMHO. Good luck with that one Apple. LOL.

Anyhow, I can't imagine the "walled garden" concept being very popular when extended to a vehicle.

"We can't service your vehicle under warranty because your are running Goodyears and not iTires."
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Computers/gadgets and the auto industry are light years apart IMHO. Good luck with that one Apple. LOL.

That's the same thing people said about the cell phone market when the original iPhone was brewing.

Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    This news has been out/known since 2007!
    Just google/yahoo "apple collaborating with vw iCar," and check the dates.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

The "goons" in the garage I go to, use this: Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) | AppBrain Android Market
    Yeah it is android, but it is pretty darn cool

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    They might as well do something with those billions swishing around in their bank account

It might be interesting to see a car designed by a company that doesn't believe in focus groups, they would have to put a serious false body on the prototype, its a lot harder to hide a car size object than a prototype MacBook Pro or iPhone
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

Forest Hills, NYC
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    There was actually a prototype of an iCar. It failed miserably though, and had to be scrapped because most of the tests showed that it would constantly crash into walls. When asked how this could possibly happen, with all the tech available and all, it was said that people were holding the steering wheel wrong.

Thread Information