New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

U.S. Senator 'livid' about Apple's U.S. tax dealings

Thread Closed

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

U.S. Senator 'livid' about Apple's U.S. tax dealings

Quote:
When asked about Apple's supposed "sidestepping" of U.S. tax laws, Senator Tom Colburn (R-Okla.) said that he was "livid about that" and used the company as an example of why the country needs tax reform.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Darn right he was mad!

Only politicians and their rich friends are allowed to skip out on paying taxes.

What is this country coming to?

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

He's "livid" about Apple's tax dealings, but supports Romney? That's just funny.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Cut it out guys..the problem with political jokes is they get elected!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

I completely understand why he's upset. If a US politician can't spend money, he or she quite literally has nothing to do. That cuts into job security. Then again, they spend our money whether they have it to spend or not. So, I'm not sure what the problem is. Our successors will cover the bill as we mortgage their future labor.

Ah well. Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think...

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

I like how he's going after Apple, and not any of the numerous other companies that do the exact same thing.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I like how he's going after Apple, and not any of the numerous other companies that do the exact same thing.
It's an election year. Neither side will be very nice, so grab some popcorn and some hip-waders. The friend of my enemy is my enemy, and whatnot...

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
Geekbabe

Geekbabe has a spectacular aura about

Please, I'm "livid" that a group of old men seems to think they have the right to decide women's contraceptive choices.
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

As a US taxpayer, I'm unhappy about the tax situation in which the tremendously wealthy (be they people or entities) are evading their responsibilities. Nobody likes taxes, but if I stop paying mine, it's a pretty safe bet I'll end up in prison at some point.

And I know from having lived abroad that all income - including that earned overseas - is still subject to taxation. I see no reason why Apple or any other US-based business ought to be exempt. We know how much they earned worldwide. Send 'em a bill. Waiting for "repatriation" is a joke.
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I agree with the sentiments about corporations and tax withholding. The fact is, this could be changed if we wanted to, but it simply isn't. There are so many loopholes in the tax code for individuals and the corporations that it's easy to get by. Instead of complaining about how unfair this all is, we should be trying to find a way to either reform, overhaul or completely re-think the way this country collects taxes.

That being said, though, if you want to out econemy compete globally you have to give the corporations those breaks to keep the businesses in the US. Sure a lot of them go offshore (as Apple does) but they could be enticed to come back if the US really wanted to do so. Sadly, we don't.

XJ-linux

The consumer pays the corporation's taxes when all is said and done. The tax liability is factored into price, just like any smart person adds in Paypal or eBay fees when listing something for sale online. Were companies to actually pass the savings along to the consumer, I'd be happy if corporations paid no taxes on income whatsoever. Somehow, I doubt they would suddenly cut prices 28 to 35% if their tax liability disappeared overnight.

Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I agree with the sentiments about corporations and tax withholding. The fact is, this could be changed if we wanted to, but it simply isn't. There are so many loopholes in the tax code for individuals and the corporations that it's easy to get by. Instead of complaining about how unfair this all is, we should be trying to find a way to either reform, overhaul or completely re-think the way this country collects taxes.
The problem, as I see it anyway, is that the United States suffers from a form of bipolar disorder. Our government recognizes the very real need for to stimulate or depress various parts of our economy at different times, but the idea of the government meddling in such affairs is anathema to half our population. As a result, instead of direct, simple tax policies coupled by government action, we have the almighty "tax incentive" to encourage / coerce / beg people to do what needs to be done.

Quote:
That being said, though, if you want to out econemy compete globally you have to give the corporations those breaks to keep the businesses in the US. Sure a lot of them go offshore (as Apple does) but they could be enticed to come back if the US really wanted to do so. Sadly, we don't.
I disagree. The solution here isn't to jump head first into this race to the bottom. Rather, I would put forth the idea that tariffs would work more effectively to equalize the situation. If China's widgets will cost the same for their worldwide customers, whether they were built with near-slave labor or appropriately-treated and well-compensated employees, why would they not choose to improve the quality of life at home instead of letting foreign governments take that extra cash. Let's elevate China and others to our first world standards, rather than reducing ourselves to their Third World way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
The consumer pays the corporation's taxes when all is said and done. The tax liability is factored into price, just like any smart person adds in Paypal or eBay fees when listing something for sale online. Were companies to actually pass the savings along to the consumer, I'd be happy if corporations paid no taxes on income whatsoever. Somehow, I doubt they would suddenly cut prices 28 to 35% if their tax liability disappeared overnight.
I doubt they would too. In fact, there's more than enough precedent to the contrary. Just look at the music and publishing industries. How much much money is saved by electronic distribution, and yet how many works are actually commensurately cheaper? The reason typically given: lowering prices would devalue the work.
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
All the tax breaks in the world wouldn't be enough to offset the difference between the cost of manufacturing to the standards Apple wants here and the cost of doing the same in China.
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
He's going after Apple because Apple is perceived as being a company loved by the left wing populous. When president Obama brought Apple up in his last state of the union address, it officially put Apple in the crosshairs of republican officials.

I agree that Apple nor any other company nor individual should be evading taxes. Taxes suck but without them, everything falls apart.
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
The problem, as I see it anyway, is that the United States suffers from a form of bipolar disorder. Our government recognizes the very real need for to stimulate or depress various parts of our economy at different times, but the idea of the government meddling in such affairs is anathema to half our population. As a result, instead of direct, simple tax policies coupled by government action, we have the almighty "tax incentive" to encourage / coerce / beg people to do what needs to be done.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
I disagree. The solution here isn't to jump head first into this race to the bottom. Rather, I would put forth the idea that tariffs would work more effectively to equalize the situation. If China's widgets will cost the same for their worldwide customers, whether they were built with near-slave labor or appropriately-treated and well-compensated employees, why would they not choose to improve the quality of life at home instead of letting foreign governments take that extra cash. Let's elevate China and others to our first world standards, rather than reducing ourselves to their Third World way of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
All the tax breaks in the world wouldn't be enough to offset the difference between the cost of manufacturing to the standards Apple wants here and the cost of doing the same in China.
I'd like to see China raised to first world status but that's not going to happen anytime soon, especially with the current regime trying very hard to keep that from happening. Living with that reality means we should at least try to bring the jobs back here if we can and the best method is through tax incentives and breaks. Now, and I didn't mention this in my first post, there also needs to be changes in how unions are handled and the expectation of the best of everything for the American worker. You can have a job and decent benefits or no job and no benefits. There is a reasonable balance to be struck but corporations and unions don't seem interested in working together often times and the blame game screws everyone in the long run.

Thread Closed

« New Blog: Make The Most Of Spotlight | New Blog: Wake Up Folio by Cooler Master »