New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Dell tops Apple in R&D

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Source: MacMinute.com

Dell tops Apple in R&D
November 21, 2003 - 11:01 EST Dell Computer CEO Michael Dell recently said that his company's research and development (R&D) division is very comparable to that of Apple. In fact, Dell has more workers and spends more money than Apple in R&D, despite being known for rebranding products and using many OEM parts. "We have 3,600 folks in our R&D division and spend half a billion dollars a year, similar to the amount Apple spends," Dell said. "Just because we sell a whole lot more doesn't mean we're bad. I thought that was part of the objective." Apple says it currently has 2,500 employees working in R&D, and spent $471 million in R&D costs in fiscal 2003.

My Comments: They usually win that spot.. Apple will get it one day I hope.. I just don't see how Dell could beat Apple with everything Apple has done.. oh well!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I am wondering what the criteria is? Because if you look at the two companies, only one is really into designing anything. The other is into making colored boxes, and i don't see any research in that. Also what has Dell developed?

So I don't see how they won, unless it have to do with money spend and number of people working for them.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Also what design awards has Dell won?

I am so confused on this subject. lol
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah me too.. Im happy to hear that Im not the only one.. I dont get it.. hmm.. maybe someone will be able to post here and explain it to us. And Im not sure it matters enough to me to go and do the research on it
QUOTE Thanks
MuffinMan

1,100 Employees less and the same amount spent as dell? Seems to me like Apple puts more money into R&D for the amount of people they have..
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

spending $471 million on 5% market share seems like a lot more than spending $500 million on at least 20% of the market. sounds like something similar to the MHz myth

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Hey it costs a lot of R&D money to decide which products to rebrand as your own ;-)

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Hey it costs a lot of R&D money to decide which products to rebrand as your own ;-)
actually, the new dell laptops are pretty nice. i have a aluminum powerbook, but my gf's new dell UXGA screen on the DELL laptops, come out MUCH MUCH MUCH better than my 15" powerbook. resolution is A LOT better. and i don't think R&D can be confined to just their laptop designs. my roommate has a 1995 DELL laptop and it's still running strong with only minor snags along the way.

but apple definitely wins in the design department. nothing looks, feels, or takes ergonomics into consideration like apple does. i just with they spent more of their money on customer service. if you have a problem with a DELL you're likely to get $$$ back, a new pocket pc, or free shipping(all events i've seen occur with my friends).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .Mac users get 'Members Only' folder | Week in Review - 11/17/03-11/21/03 »