New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Though updates for the 13- and 15-inch models are on the horizon, Apple may not continue making its 17-inch MacBook Pro, according to one analyst.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

You don't need to discontinue it, you just need to price it accordingly. The price jump between a 15" and 17" is unjust when the parts are not all that different in cost, which brings up a point: if the 17" is profitable, why remove it, regardless of how slow it sells? We keep on hearing these rumors that the real "Pro" level computers(Mac Pro and MBP) are being dropped are altered away from their original roots, and it's all a bit unsettling. I like what these pro machines stand for, regardless of how slow they might sell, because to me at least, they are the computer I will eventually want to own. It's like Mercedes dropping the S-class because it's a slow seller when compared to the E-class. The most people buying a Mercedes, they get into a lower mark, and eventually go up to that S-class. What is Apple going to replace that dream of wanting that top-end machine when these are being rumored to go extinct?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Well, it's a simple fact... most folks who buy a notebook machine whether it be a Mac or PC simply do not buy 17" models. Look at all the leading PC notebook makers and what they offer: Dell, HP, Sony. Their most expensive models are those that are 13", 14" and finally 15". That's their bread and butter. Apple might drop the 17" and price the 15" accordingly. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

With Apple's seemingly increasing hostility towards its professional customers, I wouldn't be shocked if this one turned out to be true. $300 extra above the 15-inch isn't as outrageous as some would lead you to believe when you consider that you have to spend another $100 on the 15-inch just to get a decent screen resolution (1440x900 by default is a joke), the 17-inch is the only model with either an Express card slot or more than two USB ports, and the speaker quality is very noticeably better.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

This is one of those things where if I need what the 17" is offering I'm just going to buy a MP.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
This is one of those things where if I need what the 17" is offering I'm just going to buy a MP.
That's somewhat confusing. An almost 40 pound MacPro isn't exactly portable like the 17MBP.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

LOL. A 17" MBP isn't exactly portable either but I hear you....
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
That's somewhat confusing. An almost 40 pound MacPro isn't exactly portable like the 17MBP.
Not to mention that's the other Mac model whose death has been foretold in rumors.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
LOL. A 17" MBP isn't exactly portable either but I hear you....
Compared to some 17" HP's I've had/used, it's like carrying a feather. I don't mind the weight at all.

QUOTE Thanks
nickione

nickione is on a distinguished road

Frankly, for portable PC, I prefer the 12 inch or 13 inch size. That's portable!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

A 17" MBP is not all that heavy. As others have said it's a lot easier to lug around than a lot of other 17" machines.

If Apple does zap it and the Mac Pro, the Pro market will go elsewhere. Sad if it's true.
QUOTE Thanks
TabletRevlution

TabletRevlution is on a distinguished road

I think that Apple's concern is that I think they are pretty much maxed out on their production output. With improving working conditions in China and increased demand for products, they need to shorten up their line.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'm more inclined to wonder about display cost. If the rumor about retina display for the Mac line is true, I'm inclined to think the consumer cost of the 17in MacBook Pro is going to be a significant increase.

I know that the iMac has a much larger display, but the 27in iMac only costs $2000, where the 17in MBP cost $2500. I can see them bumping up the cost on the iMacs a few hundred, but the 17in Pro is already insanely expensive.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
A 17" MBP is not all that heavy. As others have said it's a lot easier to lug around than a lot of other 17" machines.

If Apple does zap it and the Mac Pro, the Pro market will go elsewhere. Sad if it's true.
Still, I prefer hauling a 15.. if I want a bigger screen.. an external monitor works wonders.. IMO the 17's not big enough to warrant the larger footprint for travel. That's just me though.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

With improvements in screens, isn't looking at a 15 inch today easier than a 17 inch years ago?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashback OS X malware estimated to net authors $10K per day | Apple television not expected to 'break the bundle' from cable »