New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBoater View Post
With improvements in screens, isn't looking at a 15 inch today easier than a 17 inch years ago?
Look at it this way...if the 15" display was improved...then the 17" display would be improved as well. The reason folks like a 17" display in a MacBook Pro is because you can see more (larger resolution) than on a 15" display.

And although an external display is a great way to expand a 15" MacBook Pro's abilities...a built-in 17" display (especially when traveling for work, school, etc.) can't be beat!

If you're sitting in an airport terminal waiting for a flight, and the library, or visiting a client on a business trip...and like a larger display...that 17" display comes in handy.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
If you're sitting in an airport terminal waiting for a flight, and the library, or visiting a client on a business trip...and like a larger display...that 17" display comes in handy.
I understand the Chiropractor Association is definitely against discontinuing the 17" model.....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I understand the Chiropractor Association is definitely against discontinuing the 17" model.....
Where do you think these "Big Guns" came from...carrying my 17" MBP around!:

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Wow! You really put on the muscle quick from the last pic you posted. What kind of steroids are you taking?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Wow! You really put on the muscle quick from the last pic you posted. What kind of steroids are you taking?
You want some??...just kidding. I'm all natural baby!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
Ahhh but I ride my bike into the office regularly.. I couldn't stand carrying a 17" on my back doing that

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Look at it this way...if the 15" display was improved...then the 17" display would be improved as well.

- Nick
The 17 inch will be discontinued, not improved (according to this thread).

Many displays have gotten smaller due to the clarity now available.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree completely with Discerptor. What makes the smaller models PRO? People are overlooking that part.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The 17 inch will be discontinued, not improved (according to this thread).
You're confused my friend! My comments were related to display improvements made up to this point...not what's coming next.

Quote:
Many displays have gotten smaller due to the clarity now available.
What the heck are you talking about? Other than the introduction of the 11" MacBook Air...the physical size of Apple's notebook display's has NOT changed. We still have the 13", 15", and 17" displays...just like we've had since about 2006.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreThing... View Post
]Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro]
There's less demand for 17 inch screens

... because the resolution of 15 inch screens is better than in years past.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
There's less demand for 17 inch screens

... because the resolution of 15 inch screens is better than in years past.
Yes...this is all true...but that's not what you said in you're earlier post.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

Quote:
With improvements in screens, isn't looking at a 15 inch today easier than a 17 inch years ago?
I can see where the confusion arose.

QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

I own a 17" MacBook Pro. It's definitely big, but surprisingly easy to carry around, and I'm not a big guy at all. I love 1920x1200 (DO NOT SAY 1080) and the big screen makes it easy to throw apps all over the desktop and have them still be viewable. It's not heavy at all, what's it like 6 pounds or something? My Dell 17" is much heavier.

My suspicion is Apple wants to go Retina in the MBPs, and they want to use this opportunity to switch the panels to the same sizes as everyone else. The 17.3" 1920x1080 panels are the "in thing" in the big laptop PC world, and Apple must be taking a beating on the pricing for 1920x1200 panels since they are the last laptop maker using them. Going to a 17.3" panel may be unworkable due to the thinness of the MBP or some other design flaw that won't work at that size. So, switch everyone over to 15(.6)", forget the 17" ever happened.
QUOTE Thanks
scalia4114

scalia4114 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Well, it's a simple fact... most folks who buy a notebook machine whether it be a Mac or PC simply do not buy 17" models. Look at all the leading PC notebook makers and what they offer: Dell, HP, Sony. Their most expensive models are those that are 13", 14" and finally 15". That's their bread and butter. Apple might drop the 17" and price the 15" accordingly. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.
Good point.If it doesn't sell, why produce it? I don't think folks are looking for the "portable desktop" model anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
burekbeba

burekbeba is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP June 2009 17 inch/iPhone/iPad 1st Gen/iMac 3.06 GHz, 27 inch mon.

I love my 17 inch MBP. I have bad eyes and since I don't use any of my laptops on the beach or on the porch (that's what my ipad is for!), it's perfect for me. Ironically, I came on here to see what the protocol is for selling a used Mac. I love mine so much that I am upgrading from a 2006 to a 2010 17 inch MBP. Coming from a Windows background, I find the nomenclature or taxonomy for the different models very confusing. And I disagree, a 17 inch is just as portable, it's just not really a LAP top anymore.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashback OS X malware estimated to net authors $10K per day | Apple television not expected to 'break the bundle' from cable »