New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

stuff has stuffed up...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

Well, according to the uk gadget and technoiogy magazine, Stuff, a new word has appeared as a hot topic of technospeak.

Macspense (n)

The extra cost of buying a Mac and then upping the specification so that it runs. While Mac base prices always look reasonable, they invariably need more RAM, Bluetooth and Airport - before you know it, you're spending twice as much as you would on a Windows system. Except that your Mac is more stable and impervious to spyware and many viruses.

To my understanding, I thought that Bluetooth and Airport are all built in now and have been for some time. I think this is somebody's ignorance and inability to read the specs on the current mac range.

Anyway, heres a link to the page where I read this. Hope it makes you chuckle as much as it did me....

http://www.stuffmagazine.co.uk/hotst....asp?de_id=758

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
smeshy123

smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

Is it just me, or does that entire magazine just seem anti-mac...if you skim through the articles...

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
QUOTE Thanks
quanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeshy123
Is it just me, or does that entire magazine just seem anti-mac...if you skim through the articles...
the articles are directed towards 16-22 year olds, it is so biased and poorly written, do what I do, buy real magazines.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

I used to subscribe to this magazine before I left the UK for a lengthy trip and they raved about apple then so I dont think that they are against Apple.

In fact they saw the ipod for the machine that everybody on here knows it is and in the top 10 gadget lists, the powerbook was always at No 1 for laptops every month.

I just some tides mist have been turning in the journalism world of Stuff. And yes, I wont be subscribing again now I am back until they can learn to research products properly!

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer_j
To my understanding, I thought that Bluetooth and Airport are all built in now and have been for some time.
The cheapest mini doesn't come with it as standard. Maybe that's where they got it from. Even still, bad research if you ask me!
QUOTE Thanks
Berman

appple has fixed it's base configurations: imac's, ibook's, powerbooks, etc all now come with 512megs of ram. airpoint and bluetooth are now built in to everything. the only thing some systems are lacking is the superdrive - which honestly not all systems need. i need and want it for my 20" imac, but for my ibook? it doesn't need that.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Though I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here generally (512MB is enough for most users), but the iMacs, Powermacs & Powerbooks should come with 1GB standard IMO.

HOWEVER:
I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw that the specs for all of the latest Powermacs (between $1999 and $3299):
Quote:
optional AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (build-to-order option or through an Apple Authorized Service Provider)
These are your very best top of the line machines... why wouldn't you include bluetooth & airport as a standard?
QUOTE Thanks
Berman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here generally (512MB is enough for most users - the iMacs, Powermacs & Powerbooks should come with 1GB standard though IMO).
agreed. i put 2 gigs in my 20" imac and it made a large performance difference. a simpler machine like the ibook doesn't need that though.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
These are your very best top of the line machines... why wouldn't you include bluetooth & airport as a standard?
I totally agree... The factory base specs on those machines really aren't up to snuff... At least not for over 3Gs.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The thing with the Power Macs is, even 1GB-2GB won't be enough for many buyers. Many would rather Apple ship them with no memory, and lower the price by a little, so that they could buy cheaper memory from Crucial or whoever.

For that matter, AirPort isn't necessary for systems which will be used with wired 100BaseT or Gigabit connections.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
For that matter, AirPort isn't necessary for systems which will be used with wired 100BaseT or Gigabit connections.
Then make it an opt-out part to drop the price a bit.
I'm sure more people would prefer to have it than those who don't need it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Then make it an opt-out part to drop the price a bit.
I'm sure more people would prefer to have it than those who don't need it.
Yeah, I think more opt-out choices would be welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Still get amused that these technology magazines still seem to have pictures of nice ladies in suggestive shots and clothing (whatever is left of what they are wearing!) in these technology magazines :flower:

I don't remember Zzap 64 or Your Sinclair resorting to these tactics

Sexy lady suggestively holding a cassette tape and the caption "Pwwwwwwoaar get a load of this Fantasy Land Dizzy"

:flower:

Oh and by the way -- I'm making a jokey remark, not gonna suddenly turn on some rant with you all, not exactly needed so you know don't take this all too seriously :flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berman
airpoint and bluetooth are now built in to everything.

Not true, PowerMac does not have it built in(werid becuz it the Pro Model) oor does the low end Mac Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Black Friday Sale have been posted. | ilife'06? »