New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Flashback trojan reportedly controls half a million Macs and counting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You were too quick for me (or I was too slow)

Was in the process of merging these when you beat me to it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You were too quick for me (or I was too slow)

Was in the process of merging these when you beat me to it.
People don't usually say that I'm too quick before my coffee has managed to work its magic. Haha.

I noticed the following from the F-Secure article:
Quote:
In cases where the user did not input their administrator password, the malware checks if the following path exists in the system:
/Applications/Microsoft Word.app
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011
/Applications/Skype.app

If any of these are found, the malware again skips the rest of its routine and proceeds to delete itself, presumably to avoid infecting a system that has an incompatible application installed.
So, if the machine has Microsoft developed software, it deletes itself?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
People don't usually say that I'm too quick before my coffee has managed to work its magic. Haha.

I noticed the following from the F-Secure article:So, if the machine has Microsoft developed software, it deletes itself?
Interesting . . . what is the next step? If you don't have Microsoft products it uses your credit card info to purchase and install them?

That would REALLY be Malware!!!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I also read that if you use Little Snitch installed it will auto delete itself. Makes sense because it won't be able to run unnoticed if Little Snitch is monitoring.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It would seem that having Office 2011 and Skype on my machine has kept it clean. Yet another benefit of using Office, haha.

The nerd in me is interested to know what it is about Office and Skype that prevents this thing from working. Xcode is also on the list of apps that work to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I also read that if you use Little Snitch installed it will auto delete itself. Makes sense because it won't be able to run unnoticed if Little Snitch is monitoring.
Yep, LS is certainly on that list (and logically so) as are other AV/malware products. Those make sense but the others (Office, Skype and Xcode)...not so much.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

'Flashback' trojan estimated to have infected 600K Macs worldwide

Quote:
A trojan horse virus named "Flashback" that surfaced last year is believed to have created a botnet including more than 600,000 infected Macs around the world, with more than half of them in the U.S. alone.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

If you really want to find out if you have been hit is to monitor your outgoing connections to the internet.
Check if there are any processes that are " calling home " .

Use something like LittleSnitch and that will tell you what processes/apps are making an outbound connection. If you see outgoing connections to any of the following , you better be worried.
( I replaced the . by the word DOT )

vxvhwcixcxqxd DOT com
gangstasparadise DOT rr DOT nu.
cuojshtbohnt DOT com
rfffnahfiywyd DOT com

These might change depending on the level of infection and if you already allowed the malware to call home for instructions.

Most important thing is to get your Java up to date and don't just type in your password for no reason.
Only update software via the respective web sites and not via some fancy looking pop-up window.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

mkdir /Applications/ClamXav.app (or whatever)

All good.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
aoifeee

aoifeee is on a distinguished road

How long has this been around for? I got a virus last August, I wonder if it's the same one.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all

Malware has been around for nearly 9 months .... what we see now is a new variant.
The attack vector changed ... this version exploits a vulnerability in Java.
Vulnerability will be closed by applying the Java update released by Apple a couple of days ago.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It would seem that having Office 2011 and Skype on my machine has kept it clean. Yet another benefit of using Office, haha.

The nerd in me is interested to know what it is about Office and Skype that prevents this thing from working. Xcode is also on the list of apps that work to stop it.

Yep, LS is certainly on that list (and logically so) as are other AV/malware products. Those make sense but the others (Office, Skype and Xcode)...not so much.
Often, the reason for that is that after the malware has installed itself, it would like to stay invisible as long as possible. The functionality of certain apps may get modified/corrupted and thus alerting the user that something is not right ( without knowing what it is ) .... that will eventually expose the presence of malware.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Phew on 2 counts:

both machines are clean
after 5 years of mac ownership I finally used Terminal - yay

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post

after 5 years of mac ownership I finally used Terminal - yay
Exactly mate .... I used terminal yesterday for the first time in 4 years .... never thought I would need it. Now I consider myself a pro with terminal so if anyone has questions ...

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

So um, what exactly would be the outcome of being "infected" either by way of inputting the admin password and not? I've read through several articles, and that part is not mentioned. Is the end result one of physical remote take over or just snooping etc etc?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Also, I only see a reference to Safari with this Trojan. Or does it also pertain to all other browsers?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters | Reuters: Justice Department ready to sue Apple over ebook price fixing (Updated) »