New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple to build 200K 15-in. MacBook Pros in April, 400K 13-in. units in June

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Apple to build 200K 15-in. MacBook Pros in April, 400K 13-in. units in June

Quote:
Apple is gearing up to begin production of its new thinner and lighter MacBook Pros, with production of the new 15-inch model set to begin first in mid-April.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Twice as many 13 inchers... Perhaps it's a lack of imagination, but I can't fathom what a typical Mac professional would do on such a tiny screen.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The 13" MBP isn't tailored to professionals - it's designed for people like me who don't have professional obligations or want the Air. The 13" MBP is great for students or individuals who feel that the Air is lacking in horsepower but don't need a $2,000 notebook. I'm willing to be that I'm part of a fairly large population in that respect.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I have to agree with Van. Keep in mind that the 13" MBP has greater portability and of course the price is more in line with what most folks consider affordable. Also if need be, you can always attach it to a large monitor which can be kept at home or in the office.

What I'm interested in is the performance of the newer Intel HD 4000 on board GPU. Anyone know anything about it?
QUOTE Thanks
JPH675

JPH675 is on a distinguished road

I am sitting here on a 1 month old Macbook Pro 15 with Hi-res matte screen playing an audio CD I enjoy as I am using the notebook. It disappoints me that Apple is said to be eliminating the optical drive in the 15 MBP.

If that ends up being the case, I am glad I bought when I did...

JPH
MacBook Pro 17: 2.5 Ghz, 4GB RAM/750 GB, Anti-Glare
MacBook Air 11: 4 GB RAM/64 GB, iPad3
iPhone 5 Verizon, Airport Extreme, Apple TV2
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH675 View Post
I am sitting here on a 1 month old Macbook Pro 15 with Hi-res matte screen playing an audio CD I enjoy as I am using the notebook. It disappoints me that Apple is said to be eliminating the optical drive in the 15 MBP.

If that ends up being the case, I am glad I bought when I did...
Apparently many don't use music CDs regularly anymore. The disc drive in my MBP just sits there most of the time. If I found a music CD I missed transferring to iTunes, I could always plug in an external drive if I had a new MBP. Then that disc would never be needed again.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
Twice as many 13 inchers... Perhaps it's a lack of imagination, but I can't fathom what a typical Mac professional would do on such a tiny screen.
While I was studying I was doing many "professional" level processes on a 13" MBP (mainly recording, mixing, editing music, but also a lot of graphical work and occasional video editing) - and I think in some ways it was perfect. You learn to use the space efficiently.

Now I'm using a 15", Ive adopted the habits I had when using the 13". Its a better workflow, in my opinion.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

What's interesting about the rumor link chas posted is the statement about the new iMacs possibly being thinner and having no optical drive. I felt Apple was ready to abandon the optical drive in its portable machines, but the iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Being that I just boight my machine (and am probably replacing it now because of a dent) It annoys me that a new one is already coming out. However, a lot of my music comes from CDs ( I transfer to iTunes) and I like the felxibility. The new GPU doesn't bug me too much because I don't really game. However I want to know how much better the new ivy bridge stuff will be. I saw they only mentioned the i7, does thaqt mean no more i5? Mine works well for me now and I'm happy I have what I have because even if I don't want to use the superdrive I can run a dual HDD setup. It not like the 13" Pro is a brick anyways

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
Calundann

Calundann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
I saw they only mentioned the i7, does thaqt mean no more i5?
Without knowing for sure, I think it is pretty safe to say that Apple will maintain both configurations like they do today. As for the difference between i5 and i7, at least for the current high end desktop parts, the main difference is that i7 supports Hyper Threading (HT) which will yield a performance increase in software that is multi-threaded (like video encoding, which probably matters little to most 13" notebook users).

As for Ivy Bridge vs the current Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge will offer substantially better graphics performance, is best case scenarios up to a 60% increase (it is still inferior to a dedicated GPU though), marginally better CPU performance (around 10-15% better is to be expected in most cases) while being more energy efficient.

I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What's interesting about the rumor link chas posted is the statement about the new iMacs possibly being thinner and having no optical drive. I felt Apple was ready to abandon the optical drive in its portable machines, but the iMac?
Don't forget that the Mac mini ditched the optical drive last year. And as a machine geared toward home theater PC use, that was arguably the model most in need of an optical drive upgrade (to Blu Ray) if anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Brunhild

Brunhild has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have to agree with Van. Keep in mind that the 13" MBP has greater portability and of course the price is more in line with what most folks consider affordable. Also if need be, you can always attach it to a large monitor which can be kept at home or in the office.

What I'm interested in is the performance of the newer Intel HD 4000 on board GPU. Anyone know anything about it?
Im no pro, but I play with all these programs a lot. Love my 13" macbook for on the go and for serious work I just plug into the 24" Apple display.

works great for me AND charges my laptop at the same time

my beer blog, BEERUKEN! www.beeruken.com
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
I would have agreed a few months ago when I had my 17" MBP. I totally disagree now that I have had my 13" MBA for a few weeks. I will never go back to the 17" again. I am however, very interested in seeing the new 15" even though I am fairly certain I will be sticking with the 13" MBA.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple CEO will meet Samsung CEO.... | Rumor: Apple's next iPhone to have glass replaced with Liquidmetal »