New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Another Air war: ultrabooks vs. MacBooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Another Air war: ultrabooks vs. MacBooks

Interesting reading. Seems like the MBA has lots of copy cats.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Seems like the MBA has lots of copy cats.
There certainly are! I've seen some laptop commercials lately (not sure if it was Sony, Dell, HP, etc.)...but they pretty much shamelessly copied the MacBook Air's exterior design (the wedge-shape)...thinner in the front, thicker in the back look.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

"The company [Intel] hopes that ultrabooks will account for 40% of all notebooks sold by 2013." - That's a scary thought and one that I hope history proves wrong. I see a market for these ultrabooks and it's possible that it will be 40% of the entire notebook market but in many ways, this represents a devolution.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a couple years ago...the super small 10" and less "Netbooks" were all the rage...not hearing much about them anymore.

I'm guessing tablets have replaced them.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Ah yes, the poster boy of the "post-PC" world. Unlike the netbooks, I get the feeling they'll stay but I'm hoping that, like the ultrabooks, they don't displace notebooks as the primary design factor for portable computers.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I remember a couple years ago...the super small 10" and less "Netbooks" were all the rage...not hearing much about them anymore.

I'm guessing tablets have replaced them.

- Nick
I think they have. A few years ago I got a Gateway netbook for travelling to have something to store pictures and videos on. I just got the iPad 3 and I think this one has gotten more run-time than the netbook already :-)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
I think they have. A few years ago I got a Gateway netbook for travelling to have something to store pictures and videos on. I just got the iPad 3 and I think this one has gotten more run-time than the netbook already :-)
Yeah...folks many times ask...should I get a laptop or a tablet? And our answer usually is...a tablet is not a laptop replacement.

But I can certainly see a tablet being a decent replacement for a "netbook"...given the typical tasks for netbooks (e-mail & internet).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

And though a Tablet isn't a Laptop replacement, my MBP now sees about 10 to 15% of the use it did before I got my iPad.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
And though a Tablet isn't a Laptop replacement, my MBP now sees about 10 to 15% of the use it did before I got my iPad.
Maybe you should sell that "puppy" before it loses too much value!

Yes...if we have similar usage habits (e-mail & internet)...if I had an iPad...I could see my laptop gathering some dust!

Although...I'm not sure how all of my Mac-Forums typing would work out on an iPad!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

...and it's not just hardware being copied, have you seen the next Windows OS beta?

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks
TabletRevlution

TabletRevlution is on a distinguished road

Problem with netbooks is that they are typically made with the cheapest materials possible. I bought a Gateway netbook back when they were $200 and by the time it was Christmas the price for the same thing was $300, so I was able to sell it easily for the same price I paid for it so it was a no loss experiment!

I'm fine with the size of Notebooks today, instead of them getting thinner they need to start making the batteries last forever, performance through the roof, and plenty of ports. Claiming they are copying the Air is harsh though, the Air is no longer the thinnest computer and how else are you going to design a thin computer.

Oh yes, if Windows 8 keeps going like it is, it is going to be a disaster.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri | Apple job listings hint at future iOS telephony features »