New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm

Quote:

Remember when we said there were reports that the new iPad was running hot? Thanks to the folks at Tweakers.net, we now have some quantitative measurements to support these observations.

The Dutch website ran a GLBenchmark test on the new iPad and the iPad 2 and compared the infrared profiles of each device. According to their measurements, the hottest part of the new iPad reached 33.6 degrees Celsius (92.5 degrees Fahrenheit), while the iPad 2 ran at a cooler 23.8 degrees Celsius (74.8 degrees Fahrenheit). You can see the differences in the image above where the new iPad is on the left and the iPad 2 on the right.

The team at Tweakers attributed this difference to the quad-core GPU of the new iPad. When its being stressed by a benchmark test, the GPU will generate extra heat that'll raise the temperature of the device. Though high, the levels measured by Tweakers were still within the operating limits of the device which are 32 degrees to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees to 35 degrees Celsius).

Even if more reports corroborate these results, this excess heat issue won't be a problem for most people. If you game a lot and live in a warm climate, you might have to watch your usage, but most people don't stress their devices with heavy gaming. Under normal usage, the iPad might get slightly warm, but it shouldn't climb to the point where the device regularly shuts down.

[Via Engadget and MacRumors]

Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

I have felt my iPad 3 run warm under charging, but not in use yet.

The only retina-supporting game I have is Eternal Blade 2, so maybe the capabilities aren't being stretched?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

This whole "debate/story" is overblown idiocy. It's a electronic device. It's going to get warm. It has a more powerful processor plus a LTE chip. Of course it's going to be slightly warmer than the iPad 2.

DUH. Now shut up.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

By Consumer Reports bringing this issue up of it heating up, are they basically saying that they don't notice this phenomena on other devices? Because, if that is what they are implying, I know from first hand that it's FALSE! This thing is more powerful than some computers that you can STILL buy!!

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
By Consumer Reports bringing this issue up of it heating up, are they basically saying that they don't notice this phenomena on other devices? Because, if that is what they are implying, I know from first hand that it's FALSE! This thing is more powerful than some computers that you can STILL buy!!
Notebooks sit on desks. Tablets are almost always held in one hand or on a lap. Heat should be a larger concern for tablets. That said, I can't pass judgment on the new iPad's heating situation until I actually use one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

92.5F is not very warm/hot. Average human body temperature is 98.6F.

So according to the infrared results above...the "New iPad" doesn't even exceed the average human body temp.

Of course 92.5F is warmer than 74.8F (the temp. of the iPad 2)...so this is what owners are noticing (17.7F difference)

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Should be a plus for our Canadian users - makes a nice hand warmer during those cold Winters up north.
QUOTE Thanks
Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen is on a distinguished road

I have an old Pentium 4 dell laptop running XP and 1 gig of Ram. It gets warm.
I have a newer i3 core HP laptop with 4 gigs of ddr3 Ram running windows 8, it gets a lot warmer..
I think they are really looking for issues if they are complaining about a device that is faster, has more memory, a 4g LTE chip, a higher resolution screen and is only 5-10 degrees warmer….
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Should be a plus for our Canadian users - makes a nice hand warmer during those cold Winters up north.
I think you're right! Ever since the new iPad came out, it's been warm and sunny. People are already wearing shorts and t-shirts

QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

I have not noticed my 3rd gen iPad becoming 'hot'. I have also not used it for any graphics-intensive games/apps.
QUOTE Thanks
TabletRevlution

TabletRevlution is on a distinguished road

I have felt demos at stores, they are warm just playing the ad video, not connected to the internet and no sound. My problem is the charging/battery issues people are having, unfortunately this heat thing was brought up first.

My worry really isn't how comfortable it is to me, but does all this extra heat effect reliability? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter to Apple because they know people are just going to buy whatever else comes out, but there are some who are just going to stick with what they buy.

QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabletRevlution View Post
I have felt demos at stores, they are warm just playing the ad video, not connected to the internet and no sound. My problem is the charging/battery issues people are having, unfortunately this heat thing was brought up first.

My worry really isn't how comfortable it is to me, but does all this extra heat effect reliability? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter to Apple because they know people are just going to buy whatever else comes out, but there are some who are just going to stick with what they buy.
If the internal sensors determine the device is getting too hot it will shut down.
QUOTE Thanks
aoifeee

aoifeee is on a distinguished road

Hopefully this can be resolved with updates. At least with a laptop you can put it down on a desk or something but with an ipad most of the time you are actually holding it.
QUOTE Thanks
iLove

iLove is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Always the newest iPad

It dosent really get hot unless you are at 100% brightness.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple job listings hint at future iOS telephony features | Apple reportedly rejecting apps that access UDIDs »