New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Comparison finds iTunes 1080p video nears Blu-Ray Disc quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Comparison finds iTunes 1080p video nears Blu-Ray Disc quality

Quote:
The image quality of Apple's newly released 1080p encoded movies hold their own in a qualitative comparison with the highest resolution consumer format available Blu-Ray Disc.

Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

The two things that always make compressed digital content stick out like a sore thumb compared to Blu Ray are banding and artifacts that appear during fast-moving scenes. Unfortunately, Ars's comparison fails to address one of these (using only still images) while showing that the other disparity is still clearly present.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

And let's not forget the fact that Blu-Ray utilizes a lossless audio stream as well. But I think that the point is that for your average consumer, all the above points are fairly moot. Especially if the file is pre downloaded and not streaming in real time. That will at least take care of artifacting/banding.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

The article seems to provide some very direct proof that the file being pre-downloaded doesn't fix the banding problem. That said, if you consider the distance at which most people watch HD content on their TVs, I can see this being considered "good enough" by a lot of people. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The vast majority of MP3s (including all of the MP3s on iTunes) are still not quite at the level of CD quality because of most people deciding they were "good enough" ten years ago. I'd hate to see video quality go backwards as well, but if this kicks off a brave new world of conveniently available legal video content the likes of which we have for music (preferably also without DRM at some point), it may well be worth the cost.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'm perfectly OK with a little artifact/banding in the video if when I press play, the movie starts. Instead of having to wait 20 minutes for the blu-ray to load, play the previews, the FBI warnings, and rest of the crap before I even get to the menu.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

At $20+ bucks a pop, BluRay BETTER have higher quality stuff! For me, netflix is good enough in quality.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro' | An app to heat your coffee on the iPad 3 »