New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri

Quote:
Sure, Apple's Siri voice assistant isn't perfect. Sometimes there's network connectivity problems, sometimes background voice interferes and sometimes Siri is just plain wrong. It's for those reasons (and others) that Apple launched the service as a "beta." Despite the beta tag, at least one iPhone customer is not happy with Siri and is taking Apple to court, says a Wall Street Journal report.

The suit was filed by Robbins Geller on the behalf of Brooklyn resident and iPhone 4S owner Frank M. Fazio. The lawsuit says Siri is "at best, a work-in-progress" and claims that Apple falsely advertised the service in its commercials. The complaint says,
In many of Apple's television advertisements, individuals are shown using Siri to make appointments, find restaurants, and even learn the guitar chords to classic rock songs or how to tie a tie. In the commercials, all of these tasks are done with ease with the assistance of the iPhone 4S's Siri feature, a represented functionality contrary to the actual operating results and performance of Siri.

The lawsuit asks for unspecified damages. As expected, Apple has not publicly responded to this complaint.

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I still think Shakespeare was right!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Hey.. you know, it's all about entitlement here in the United States. And for every person who needs to waste tax dollars and plague the U.S. court/justice system without justification, there are at least 20 ambulance chasing lawyers whom will aid them in their plight.

Sad, sad sad. If I were the judge, I'd have both the lawyer and plaintiff fined and jailed, and then made to perform community service for 5 years straight.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

And meanwhile, other people have real problems...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with Doug and MyMacRox. Amazing. What a waste of $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

There has to be something in the water.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I just read this at MR. I just have to say this: I would love to sucker punch this guy for filling up the court systems with bogus claims. Has he EVER used any other phone with voice features? They advertise the same way, but lead to an unbelievable amount of user frustration.

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

This makes about as much sense as suing Burger King for presenting their food in an appealing fashion in advertisements. Perhaps I should sue some clothes designers as well for having models wear their clothes in sizes that actually fit and without the wrinkles they would inevitably get from a day's normal use.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Hey.. you know, it's all about entitlement here in the United States. And for every person who needs to waste tax dollars and plague the U.S. court/justice system without justification, there are at least 20 ambulance chasing lawyers whom will aid them in their plight.

Sad, sad sad. If I were the judge, I'd have both the lawyer and plaintiff fined and jailed, and then made to perform community service for 5 years straight.

Doug
Nah, just fine them with a good amount to cover all the costs. Jail just eats tax dollars again...

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Nah, just fine them with a good amount to cover all the costs. Jail just eats tax dollars again...
True, but I'd actually be happy enough to spend MY tax dollars on something like holding these dbags accountable for their stupidity and greed. Lesser beings as those should not be able to share our public space! lol.

Anyway, I somehow doubt that this "suit" will go anywhere.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

So, a Brooklyn resident is surprised to find that a voice recognition system can't decipher his speech... wow, what a shock.

Even having been born in northern Jersey, just minutes outside of New Yawk, I can barely decipher that accent.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
So, a Brooklyn resident is surprised to find that a voice recognition system can't decipher his speech... wow, what a shock.

Even having been born in northern Jersey, just minutes outside of New Yawk, I can barely decipher that accent.
Jersey folk always gotta be hating on New York in some fashion or another. It's okay; we know it stems from jealousy. :p
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Jersey folk always gotta be hating on New York in some fashion or another. It's okay; we know it stems from jealousy. :p
Well, I don't often admit to having been born in NJ... let's just say that I spent the first 9 years of my life there before my parents moved to Amish Country

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

This really is ridiculous. Siri is beta, that is all the explanation needed. But Apple also puts a disclaimer on the advertisement.

In other words, Geller is an idiot.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

Doug
I agree with a penalty... but, rather than jail time, I would modify the 5yr community service to be "pro bono" legal services. And to curb the potential for lack of drive to win cases, I would add that every "lost case" or "mistrial" adds time to the 5yrs.

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« An app to heat your coffee on the iPad 3 | Another Air war: ultrabooks vs. MacBooks »