New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
dan_f14

 
Member Since: May 10, 2010
Posts: 57
dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

dan_f14 is offline
If one was to punish every frivolous law suit then wouldn't Apple be one of the most guilty out there? Not sure what this guy hopes to achieve in terms of damages as the iPhone only costs £499. Surely his legal expenses would exceed the value of the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,063
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_f14 View Post
If one was to punish every frivolous law suit then wouldn't Apple be one of the most guilty out there? Not sure what this guy hopes to achieve in terms of damages as the iPhone only costs £499. Surely his legal expenses would exceed the value of the iPhone.
I believe you don't understand what a frivolous lawsuit really is.
Quote:
A Frivolous Lawsuit is any legal claim that seems trivial and lacks merit. Often, an individual without legal counsel makes such a claim, and the claim is brought as a result of poor understanding for court processes and the law in general. The Prison Litigation Reform Act was enacted in 1995 to prevent inmates from filing such lawsuits.
To avoid filing a Frivolous Lawsuit, Federal Law mandates an attorney to thoroughly research the legality of all claims. Failure to make such efforts can result in serious consequences for all persons involved, including the representing lawyer.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I believe you don't understand what a frivolous lawsuit really is.
I agree. Fraudulent would be a better word.
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

 
j0nb0y32's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 16, 2011
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 402
j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

j0nb0y32 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
So, a Brooklyn resident is surprised to find that a voice recognition system can't decipher his speech... wow, what a shock.

Even having been born in northern Jersey, just minutes outside of New Yawk, I can barely decipher that accent.
like to see them try and decipher mine.......i'd actually pay them to do it.....haahah

the USA is so law suit happy it's unreal........mind you i think the UK is not too far behind now a days....

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

 
Dysfunction's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,638
Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dysfunction is online now
People think it's a quick and easy buck. I agree with the previously stated comment that we're talking about a beta product. If you do not wish to participate in a public beta, DON'T. Personally, there's nothing worse than a beta-tourist. They provide no value to the program.. at all.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dan_f14

 
Member Since: May 10, 2010
Posts: 57
dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

dan_f14 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I believe you don't understand what a frivolous lawsuit really is.
I believe frivolous just about covers it from how you defined it. Would you say his claim, on the face of it, is with merit or is more than merely trivial? Not sure how you say it is not frivolous? My comment was merely a tongue in cheek remark considering Apples history of patent disputes with other rival firms. In any case I am assuming you are basing the fact that it is not frivolous on the basis that the claimant is represented by a lawyer. Does that mere fact stop something being frivolous?
QUOTE Thanks
dan_f14

 
Member Since: May 10, 2010
Posts: 57
dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

dan_f14 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
I agree. Fraudulent would be a better word.
Really..
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_f14 View Post
Really..
There's an implied understanding that a frivolous lawsuit doesn't have serious purpose or value. Apple's lawsuits, while ridiculous, have cost companies millions of dollars. Quite a lot of value. They do, however abuse patent law regarding very fraudulent patents that never should have been granted in the first place. So I feel more comfortable calling Apple's lawsuits fraudulent in basis.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,063
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

iggibar is offline
Apple is neither frivolous nor fraudulent. It's called going on the offensive to protect a patent given to you. It's also normal for a company to counter sue. Don't blame Apple for a patent, they were the one's seeking it, and someone gave it to them. They have all the reason to protect, and sue anyone that violates an order. What most people don't seem to realize is that suing someone doesn't mean you are out to sue for money. It means you are getting them to pay attention to the fact that you are encroaching on something they already created and patented. If we didn't have these things, we would live in a world similar to China and Korea where they have knock offs of just about everything imaginable.
I believe people make about a big deal about this because they just don't know about it all to well.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
dan_f14

 
Member Since: May 10, 2010
Posts: 57
dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

dan_f14 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
There's an implied understanding that a frivolous lawsuit doesn't have serious purpose or value. Apple's lawsuits, while ridiculous, have cost companies millions of dollars. Quite a lot of value. They do, however abuse patent law regarding very fraudulent patents that never should have been granted in the first place. So I feel more comfortable calling Apple's lawsuits fraudulent in basis.
Apologies, I thought you was on about the original thread topic being fraudulent. I prefer to see Apple as two companies. One company is purely creative, coming up with ideas to integrate technology to the masses with a view to making life better or more convenient. The second company is a bully that strangles the creative efforts of other technological companies through petty patent law disputes. Some may argue that patent law is not petty and I would agree. One has a right to defend their intellectual property rights. However Apple is a multi billion dollar company who can afford to have even the most trivial of patent law disputes dragging on through the courts for years and effectively making any technology that the original patent dispute was regarding outdated and no longer needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Apple is neither frivolous nor fraudulent. It's called going on the offensive to protect a patent given to you. It's also normal for a company to counter sue. Don't blame Apple for a patent, they were the one's seeking it, and someone gave it to them. They have all the reason to protect, and sue anyone that violates an order. What most people don't seem to realize is that suing someone doesn't mean you are out to sue for money. It means you are getting them to pay attention to the fact that you are encroaching on something they already created and patented. If we didn't have these things, we would live in a world similar to China and Korea where they have knock offs of just about everything imaginable.
I believe people make about a big deal about this because they just don't know about it all to well.
Apple created almost nothing they've been suing over to any more unique or creative a degree than the people they're suing created the products that are supposedly infringing. They even file lawsuits they have no way of winning just so they can strong-arm the competition with the legal costs. If anything, their despicable behavior highlights how badly patent law needs reform, as well as how little Apple cares for the good faith other tech companies have afforded it for the sake of not stifling innovation. I believe people defend Apple on this because they just don't know about it all too well.

But I feel like the thread has derailed quite a bit on this tangent as is. I think this guy's lawsuits has much more to do with the limits of advertising than it does anything regarding patent law.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,063
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_f14 View Post
Apologies, I thought you was on about the original thread topic being fraudulent. I prefer to see Apple as two companies. One company is purely creative, coming up with ideas to integrate technology to the masses with a view to making life better or more convenient. The second company is a bully that strangles the creative efforts of other technological companies through petty patent law disputes. Some may argue that patent law is not petty and I would agree. One has a right to defend their intellectual property rights. However Apple is a multi billion dollar company who can afford to have even the most trivial of patent law disputes dragging on through the courts for years and effectively making any technology that the original patent dispute was regarding outdated and no longer needed.
So, you're saying that, because they have more money, they should let other companies get away with copying? It's not illegal, or immoral for a company to fight for their properties that have been awarded to them. The problem is people pick on Apple because they are in the lime-light. If only you could see the greater picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Apple created almost nothing they've been suing over to any more unique or creative a degree than the people they're suing created the products that are supposedly infringing. They even file lawsuits they have no way of winning just so they can strong-arm the competition with the legal costs. If anything, their despicable behavior highlights how badly patent law needs reform, as well as how little Apple cares for the good faith other tech companies have afforded it for the sake of not stifling innovation. I believe people defend Apple on this because they just don't know about it all too well.

But I feel like the thread has derailed quite a bit on this tangent as is. I think this guy's lawsuits has much more to do with the limits of advertising than it does anything regarding patent law.
I'm not saying that there aren't dumb patents that shouldn't have been awarded, but if you are awarded, you have every right to use every means to go about seeking retribution. You can cherry pick this argument to fit someone's motives, but it shouldn't be so complicated.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I'm not saying that there aren't dumb patents that shouldn't have been awarded, but if you are awarded, you have every right to use every means to go about seeking retribution. You can cherry pick this argument to fit someone's motives, but it shouldn't be so complicated.
Well, if you're going to make that the gold standard, bringing this back around to the actual thread topic, no one should be complaining about this guy's Siri lawsuit at all. Like Apple's lawsuits, it's technically legal and he has every right to use every means to go about seeking retribution.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

 
Dysfunction's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,638
Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dysfunction is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
, no one should be complaining about this guy's Siri lawsuit at all. Like Apple's lawsuits, it's technically legal and he has every right to use every means to go about seeking retribution.
Why? He's complaining that a BETA product is unstable. I have one word for this. DUH.

This, is exactly why the public should not participate in beta programs.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
moreguns

 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 21
moreguns is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 24" imac osx 10.7.3, 2.16 GHz 4 m SDRAM(low latency), IPHONE 4s,IPAD 3RD GEN. 64G verizon

moreguns is offline
Siri will hopefully change the way we interact with our Apple computers forever. I love my Siri.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« An app to heat your coffee on the iPad 3 | Another Air war: ultrabooks vs. MacBooks »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?