New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple's thinner 13- & 15-inch MacBook Pros expected in April at the soonest

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
Any chance of a retina display on the MBP. That would be awesome.
I think the hi-rez (anti glare thank you) one is enough right now. Put an "retina" display on a MBP and expect your battery life to plummet in no time! On an iMac however.... Yeah, I could go for that! That would be a photographers/video editors *** dream.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I think the hi-rez (anti glare thank you) one is enough right now. Put an "retina" display on a MBP and expect your battery life to plummet in no time! On an iMac however.... Yeah, I could go for that! That would be a photographers/video editors *** dream.

Doug

I think it's do-able on a MBP, especially if they will take out the optical drive altogether to make more room for bigger battery with more capacity. I still like to have an optical drive, although I find that I have used it less and less.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimac View Post
After all, there are plenty of ways to compensate for lack of ports with hubs, adapters, thunderbolt, etc. same for the optical drive, with wireless drive sharing.
That's not a good option for me. I like using my computer as a portable device and like how I only need to bring my laptop and battery charger. I don't want to be lugging around a whole extra bag of accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I don't quite get it either. The Air is already filling that market space - if the point is to get more horsepower in a smaller platform - just beef up the Air...don't downgrade the Pro.
You make a great point. I don't understand why they would want to downgrade the Pro and turn it into a none Pro computer when they could just either upgrade the Air or create a whole new category of laptops. Some of us actually use our computers for work and not just to browse the internet or check email.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Using the title "Pro" while ditching ports such as Firewire and widdling the USB ports down to 1 would be a horrible idea. First of all, I don't care if you can use a hub, that's not the point. How is it any better to have a thin machine that forces you to carry around hubs and dongles etc? That would be just as inconvenient.

Thunderbolt? At this point, it's good only for a display port. No one but true industry pro's can afford TB storage! Until its proliferation in the Windows segment, we won't be seeing those prices coming down any time soon.

And while we're at it, I really hope that Apple totally revamps the entire structure of the MB line. If we are to see "pro" level graphics and processing power in a MB the size of the Air, then I fear for the life/longevity of the logicboard due to all the heat build up.

Well, hopefully my 4 year old MBP will hold up for another 4 years, because my next machine is an iMac.

Doug
Couldn't agree more. Lately, I've seen Apple trying to move in a "prosumer" direction. The Market is getting slimmer and slimmer for the people that actually need the horsepower/ports/graphics that the MBP can offer. I still don't think the White MacBook even needed to be killed off, it had decent power, enough ports, an optical drive... perfect for the average person.

I, personally, can barely consider a MacBook Air to be a computer at all. No expandable options whatsoever. Maybe Apple can drop that 1 USB port while they're at it and shave an ounce off? I'm sure nobody uses it anyway.

I don't know where Apple is heading, maybe this is all speculation and the new MBP will be great. I have my doubts though...

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
SemperFi

SemperFi is on a distinguished road

The MBA is designed to be portable, it is not supposed to be a "Pro" machine. But I still believe it deserves some respect considering its size it is very good at what it does. Plus when you add a external display you can get more USB ports, another Thunderbolt, and a Firewire
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
The MBA is designed to be portable, it is not supposed to be a "Pro" machine. But I still believe it deserves some respect considering its size it is very good at what it does. Plus when you add a external display you can get more USB ports, another Thunderbolt, and a Firewire
Only if it is an Apple display. IMO the Apple displays are not a great choice if quality color is needed.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
The iPad doubled its resolution, added LTE, and maintained a 10 hour battery life. Of course the battery holds about 30% more juice to compensate, but surely the improvements in battery capacity can be carried over. The pixel density on MacBooks and iMacs is already closer than people realize to what it'd need to be to meet the fuzzy definition for Retina Display, and it's not necessary to quadruple the pixel density to avoid upscaling and interpolating graphics because OS X is not (exclusively) a full-screen OS in the first place. More about all that here:
Retina display Macs, iPads, and HiDPI: Doing the Math (updated) | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Personally… I see the optical drive going away; the display increasing in resolution; and the battery capacity increasing. I doubt Firewire is going away this quickly, especially given the dearth of Thunderbolt devices thus far. Maybe the MBP will be thinner/lighter due to space saving from removing the optical drive, or maybe that space will be left as available for an SSD. I doubt they'll use the space savings for a bigger battery… a battery of the same size that is more efficient like that in the new iPad should be sufficient for the relatively modest bump to the screen resolution that would be needed as per the article above.

Of course maybe that speculation is wrong and perhaps Apple will quadruple the pixel density. If they did, that would leave options open for multiple "native" resolutions. Let's take the 21" iMac at 1920x1080. If the resolution became 3840x2160, you could switch to the following resolutions and still look as good as if they were native: 1920x1080, 1280x720, and 960x540. Right now, with a native resolution of 1920x1080, the only resolution that cleanly goes into that is 960x640. A quadrupled density leaves room for an intermediate resolution of 1280x720 that perhaps someone with poorer eyesight would better appreciate. This could also lead Apple to locking in the available display resolutions to those 4 combinations so they can optimize the UI elements in OS X to only work with those. Or maybe they won't. *shrug* We'll see.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'd like to see USB 3.0 - and yes - I do think that's possible - even with Thunderbolt on board.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNasty

MacNasty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme

[QUOTE=vansmith;1379903]I would have normally disagreed about the lack of an optical drive but since mine is broken, I've gotten very good at learning how to get content without it.

Out of curiosity, what happened to your drive? I recall Apple had big time issues with drivers on some MBP models so severe some disks wouldn't load and you couldn't burn anything. One particular drive model I believe and there was a firmware fix.

As to ports on my portable: I hook up a lot of peripherals so I'm happy with my firewire 800/400 and a couple USB's. When my software doesn't come on or have to be loaded from CD's and DVD's I'll do without the optical drive.

Any thoughts on USB-3?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I have a four year old MB with a slot loading optical drive - the fact that it's broken was inevitable.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacNasty

Mac Specs: iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I'd like to see USB 3.0 - and yes - I do think that's possible - even with Thunderbolt on board.
The only USB 3.0 Mac OS X driver I've seen was put out by LaCie for some of their new products. They claim a 7 second download on a 700MB video file compared to 25 seconds with USB 2.0. That pretty much exhausts my knowledge of USB 3.0. Does anyone know if Apple has expressed any interest in it?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I have a four year old MB with a slot loading optical drive - the fact that it's broken was inevitable.
Well at least it's not a firmware problem. Also it's an easy DIY fix. Did mine in 25 minutes and I'm no techie but I watched a video by one on u-Tube once.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNasty View Post
Well at least it's not a firmware problem. Also it's an easy DIY fix. Did mine in 25 minutes and I'm no techie but I watched a video by one on u-Tube once.
I would but I don't care much anymore. In fact, I rarely used it when it was working. Plus, I'm looking for as many excuses as I can find to get a new machine.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Hornhonker

Hornhonker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini, 24" Cinema Display

I try to sell these things and a form over function MBP is not going to cut it with customers.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I don't believe Apple would have a problem upping the screen resolution while maintaining battery performance. They seem to have done that all while adding a 4core graphics processor chip. One thing that I do have a problem with is the "MacBook" part of the name in all of Apple's notebooks. To me, if you have something that further designates a characteristic of a line(Air, and Pro), it should mean that there is a standard option without those features. This is where the regular MacBook makes sense. With it, you can have the MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. They should have something available that is just simply called Macbook!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First look: Apple's Clock app comes to iPad with iOS 6 | Mac Pro gets an unannounced speed bump »