New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Flawed study decides iPhone is for games, Android for apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OneMoreThing...

OneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to beholdOneMoreThing... is a splendid one to behold

Flawed study decides iPhone is for games, Android for apps

Quote:

Trumpeting in its headline that "iPhone is for games, Android is for apps," Xyologic has managed to pull a singular feat: it's undermined 5/8 of its own name with the analysis that follows.

Xyologic compares the entire US Android Market against just the free iPhone offerings in the App Store, which is the first warning that its data and analysis is going to be skewed. Comparing the top 150 downloads between these weirdly disparate markets yields the following results:

Entire Android Market:
  • 85 of top 150 downloads are apps, with 91.5 million downloads
  • 65 of top 150 downloads are games, with 33.4 million downloads
Free iPhone Apps:
  • 50 of top 150 downloads are apps, with 25.6 million downloads
  • 100 of top 150 downloads are games, with 71.6 million downloads
If you didn't know any better, you could easily look at the numbers Xyologic came up with and reach the same conclusion they do: Android users certainly appear to be downloading more apps than games compared to iPhone users. But the fact that Xyologic only chose to analyze the numbers for free iPhone apps skews the numbers so far that the study is essentially meaningless.

Without including the download numbers for paid iPhone apps, or the download numbers for any type of iPad apps at all, Xyologic's study neglects the huge sales numbers of paid apps such as Camera+, Instapaper, Tweetbot, Snapseed, Apple's own iWork apps, iMovie, and GarageBand. None of those apps offer a "lite" or freemium version, while most of the App Store's most popular games do, which is another reason the free iPhone downloads tend to skew more toward games.

Looking through the current top paid downloads for both devices still shows a lot of games scattered throughout the category -- something you'd expect to see after the recent massive sales on games and many young users getting new devices for Christmas -- but that's a far cry from Xyologic's claim that Android users are downloading more non-game apps than iPhone users.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Xyologic's claim actually is correct and that iOS users are indeed downloading far more games, both as a percentage of apps downloaded and in total number of downloads, compared to Android users. Apple's own marketing touts the superior gaming performance of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Game developers are consistently targeting the App Store more than the Android Market for a variety of reasons, and you won't find high-end titles like Infinity Blade II on the Android Market any time soon.

However, Xyologic's methodology in reaching that conclusion is badly flawed; to make a true apps-to-apps comparison between the Android Market and the App Store, you have to compare the entirety of both stores if you want valid results.

Because of deep discounts on games and the general focus on games during the holiday season, December will probably skew even more heavily toward game downloads than in the download numbers Xyologic obtained for November. If Xyologic or another analysis firm takes a look at the app download numbers for January 2012 and compares the Android Market against the entire App Store instead of just one segment of it, we'll have a far better idea whether "iPhone is for games, Android is for apps" rings true or not.

Flawed study decides iPhone is for games, Android for apps originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 27 Dec 2011 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source*|*Permalink*|*Email this*|*Comments
Read more

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
JimboMac

JimboMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which one?

There are indeed some great games for iPhone, but there are a few business apps on that iPhone that I just cannot live without.

The article is simply a "quantity not quality" argument.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Considering I'm running at about a 100:1 App to Game ratio on all of my IOS devices - I definitely doubt that this study has any validity whatsoever - not that I especially care either way.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I think I have one game on my iPad (wife wanted ) and none on my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I have personally quite a few non-game apps as well as game apps (technically, games are applications as well - the difference is really their use, and even non-game apps can then be further broken down into subcategories (utility, business, productivity, reference, etc.).

I think games may weigh in a tiny bit heavier on my iPhone and about 50/50 on both of my iPads.

I do agree though, if the original article actually used only the free offerings as a reference on the iPhone and all app offerings on Android - then their methodology for determining what is for what is skewed and overall would provide an invalid result - plus judging at Christmas time is the worst to do an evaluation. I know with the iTunes card I got from my wife, I bought games for the holidays. Unless I REALLY need a non-game app during the holidays, I'd rather spend on something fun to kill time.

For me to take them seriously, they (Xyologic) would really need to do the evaluation again, taken over (at least) a 12 month period (month to month) of the paid and non-paid apps of both markets and compare the results to get a more accurate picture. Plus there is the iPhone and the iPad (so phone devices and tablet devices) both of which provide a different user experience - for me personally I find it easier to use most of my productivity apps on my iPads then I do on my iPhone, but I find it more enjoyable to play a game on the iPhone then on the iPad (iPad just is so awkward sometimes while trying to play a game).

I could be very wrong, but right now I'd have to agree with TUAW that the study is very flawed and should be disregarded until a more accurate study could be completed.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Ridiculously flawed when you take into account the recent numbers for mobile shopping. 91% of it was done from the iPhone with the remaining 9% split between Android/BBerry/Windows/etc...

So they took the user group most likely to spend money on something while on their phone, and then factored that out of the equation? Honestly, who conducts research like that?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

On the face of it this would imply that Android is eating away at more of Blackberry's market (business) than Apple's. Anyone who thinks that the mobile phone market is really still about business or getting mostly work done is a but out of touch. At the same time, after all these years who would have thought that an Apple made device would be a center for gaming?

The numbers are bunk, but still fun to speculate over.

QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Considering I'm running at about a 100:1 App to Game ratio on all of my IOS devices - I definitely doubt that this study has any validity whatsoever - not that I especially care either way.
You must have a lot of apps or about one game!

I agree, this statement is pretty much ridiculous... Oh, and by the way, Windows is for gaming and Macs are for doing real work.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Another study in how numbers can be qualified to support just about any position.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rumor: Apple media event slated for January? | Apple's Jonathan Ive Awarded Knighthood »